On Board Gym Hygiene

b&m@11

There are two parts to the subject. The ships franchisees of gyms often allow a lack of sanitised wipes to wipe machines after people have finished their workouts. Together with a lack of notices asking people to do same.

Certain individuals, both experienced and newish / cruise only "gymers" who do not wipe down machines and who cough and splutter and still do not wipe down.

Ships have sprays and or wipes before restaurants, in corridors, off and off ships, toilets, staff wiping handrails, notices in cabins etc, so why are gyms often allowed to carry on with no preventative measures.

Thoughts???

We wipe down the equipment before & after use

We use the hand sanitizer on the way in & out of the gym

If people do not wipe down after on the ship they are not doing it elsewhere either ;)

Dear all, my apologies but perhaps I was not specific enough in my comment.

I have no problem in wiping down equipment both before and after use, that is a given, or should be. My point is should the cruise lines be a) providing more effective notices, b) more wipes. My overall point was...what is the purpose of the ship carrying out significant prevention work outside the gym is the gym does not have the same practices.

Many Thanks

Edited by b&m@11

FWIW on the cardio stuff I wipe down if the previous person doesn't, more a matter of habit.

With the weights and machines whether on cruise or at the land gym find very few who wipe down, nor do I wipe before I use it either.

So far haven't "sweated" too much whether the person cleans up, if it doesn't kill me it makes me stronger Perhaps we are all to pure and why we are so frail ... :D

I do make a point not to touch my eyes etc. and wash my hand as I leave, whether on the ship or land ;)

At least on Princess there are several wipes and ample towels, if bothers you scrub it down!

On all the cruises that I have been on, the gyms have an overly abundant supply of towels and disinfectant available for wiping the equipment. And they have at least as much signage as many of the land based gyms that I have been in.

So. I am not sure where you want this discussion to lead.

My experience is also that the gym has sufficient wipes, alcohol hand rub and clean towels. Also drinking water supply is there and people are not topping up own bottles direct. If they have run out or none is available I should just ask the operator and comment to him/her that it is important to have a good supply readily available in a polite manner.

Regards John

Not sure what cruise line you are on but on the one we use there are lots of signs as well as several bottles of cleaner, paper towels, small gym towel & an attendant that will also wipe down the equipment when they are there

Dear all, my apologies but perhaps I was not specific enough in my comment.

I have no problem in wiping down equipment both before and after use, that is a given, or should be. My point is should the cruise lines be a) providing more effective notices, b) more wipes. My overall point was...what is the purpose of the ship carrying out significant prevention work outside the gym is the gym does not have the same practices.

Many Thanks

have never felt that there was inadequate notification or supplies.

besides the prevention you are referring to elsewhere is for NORO. passed by contact with nose, mouth , eyes. not too many people snack while doing weights or cardio

OP has a valid point and I fully understand where s/he is coming from. Many times, I have seen people "work out and walk away". I'm sorry but it's disgusting. PLEASE take a moment to wipe down the machine you have just used.

I always wipe down the machine before and after I use it. And yes, on some ships I have seen a lack of signage advising guests to do this. So... is it ignorance? They really don't know or didn't realize this was a good idea? Or is it selfishness? They see the wipes but can't be bothered to use them. I guess we'll never know. :(;)