Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

I hope someone can answer that question for you ;)

I had the Oasis booked aka the Grand Cabana for those on the roll call that wanted to do it. The 17 of us had a great time, good food, good drinks and wonderful service. 1of4's children coulld swim withe the life guards watching, some snorkelled, some got in the hot tub and some got on the mats.

a great day I think. Our lunch was delicious IMO. The PG staff took good care of us as did Mario our bar tender. There was nothing they couldn't do for us.

I think we frustrated them as we weren't demanding :)

Sounds like an outstanding day at HMC.

I know I was asked, so here you go...

Our Captain is Captain Rens Van Eerten

Our Hotel Director is Mark L. Pells

and out cruise director is Shane Michaels.

We do have unlimited internet offered on the cruise. The flyer I got in my cabin said it was for the 16 day cruise but when you log in it says it is for your full voyage, so time will tell if it is the price for the 16 (which I think it is) or the 20 or 21.

The flyer specifically breaks the cost down by day for the 16 day and that is what the price ended up being when I checked my onboard account today.

So the Social Plan is for social websites and apps and is $49 for the voyage (16 days).

The value plan is for web, etc. but no skype or video and is $149

and the Premium Plan offers "faster" service for skype, video, etc. with limitations and is $229.

I opted for the $149 and so far all is good. In fact, I am on my balcony typing :)

I love that I don't have to copy or paste and can just try to read and answer.

Good deal IMO whether it is for 16 or 20

Those are great rates for internet. Hope it goes fleet wide.

I agree! :)

Last time we sailed Westerdam, Mark Pells was our Hotel Director and agree he's excellent. We enjoyed sailing with him. :)

I know I was asked, so here you go...

Our Captain is Captain Rens Van Eerten

Our Hotel Director is Mark L. Pells

and out cruise director is Shane Michaels.

We do have unlimited internet offered on the cruise. The flyer I got in my cabin said it was for the 16 day cruise but when you log in it says it is for your full voyage, so time will tell if it is the price for the 16 (which I think it is) or the 20 or 21.

The flyer specifically breaks the cost down by day for the 16 day and that is what the price ended up being when I checked my onboard account today.

So the Social Plan is for social websites and apps and is $49 for the voyage (16 days).

The value plan is for web, etc. but no skype or video and is $149

and the Premium Plan offers "faster" service for skype, video, etc. with limitations and is $229.

I opted for the $149 and so far all is good. In fact, I am on my balcony typing :)

I love that I don't have to copy or paste and can just try to read and answer.

Good deal IMO whether it is for 16 or 20

Jacqui, loving your posts. Since we couldn't join you on this cruise, it's fun following along.

PLEASE say hello to Mark Pells for Fred and I! He grew up on Cape Cod and we've been on many Noordam cruises when he's been Hotel Director. You're in good hands.

Last time was in February '14 on the Noordam.

I'm sure his wife, Milica, is the spa manager.

Edited by innlady1

I'm so glad you were able to pull off the surprise! Love your photos; we've never booked the Oasis, the closest was one of the villas and we were pretty happy with it. We love Half Moon Cay.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Jacqui, I am thrilled that it all went perfectly, it would have been good to be a little mouse following you around to hear this :D

Good job on the surprise. ;):)

thanks. I am not a good liar and my face goes red. Fortunately I leaned on facts and packing when I heard the questions and just gave him the straight forward answers on the 4* mariner benefits.

I was packing when he asked me to check on upsells and I told him they were sold out so my head was down, away from his sight otherwise he would have known. ;)

checked out some entertainment tonight so I will report and update tomorrow. internet permitting.

little surprises wrapped up for our meet amd greet tomorrow. melodie. i let the captain know that we had your "something" :)

he knows that the Sail a Way gang is onboard.:)

thanks. I am not a good liar and my face goes red. Fortunately I leaned on facts and packing when I heard the questions and just gave him the straight forward answers on the 4* mariner benefits.

I was packing when he asked me to check on upsells and I told him they were sold out so my head was down, away from his sight otherwise he would have known. ;)

checked out some entertainment tonight so I will report and update tomorrow. internet permitting.

little surprises wrapped up for our meet amd greet tomorrow. melodie. i let the captain know that we had your "something" :)

....very cool, Kazu.:cool:

Scrapnana, really enjoying your blog, have it marked in my favorites, thanks for doing it.

Edited by PathfinderEss

Remember to ask about "SD" if it's appropriate (and if you want).

I am so glad to learn Lizzie68 has hot water. Sometimes we can't get cold in the sink. Lizzie68 & her DH have been exceptionally patient and understanding.

we can highly recommend The Oasis. It was a perfect day! :)

BUT...we met the type of person I dread just before dinner last night. We were about 10 minutes early so were looking for our photos in the gallery which is right outside the upper dining room doors. DS and I were looking at one panel, not moving, not speaking, just standing and looking. We may even have been holding hands when this battle axe of a woman in a wheelchair being pushed by her husband spoke loud enough for everyone to hear:

You are a little boy. There is no place on this ship for children. This cruise is for old people only.

she and her husband thought this was hysterical and were laughing. He kept pushing the chair as she vomited her opinion over us. DS was crushed. His face told me he heard every word. I told DH and he wanted to point her out. Since our dinner table is right at the railing we have a good spot to look. It didn't take long to spot her so DH got a good look.

He says he will address the mater with her next time he sees her.

I hope that I am not around for that.

I am so glad to learn Lizzie68 has hot water. Sometimes we can't get cold in the sink. Lizzie68 & her DH have been exceptionally patient and understanding.

BUT...we met the type of person I dread just before dinner last night. We were about 10 minutes early so were looking for our photos in the gallery which is right outside the upper dining room doors. DS and I were looking at one panel, not moving, not speaking, just standing and looking. We may even have been holding hands when this battle axe of a woman in a wheelchair being pushed by her husband spoke loud enough for everyone to hear:

You are a little boy. There is no place on this ship for children. This cruise is for old people only.

she and her husband thought this was hysterical and were laughing. He kept pushing the chair as she vomited her opinion over us. DS was crushed. His face told me he heard every word. I told DH and he wanted to point her out. Since our dinner table is right at the railing we have a good spot to look. It didn't take long to spot her so DH got a good look.

I guess that's some people idea of humour. She is an idiot. I'm sorry your son had to hear such drivel. It's too bad that some people are so miserable with themselves. I hope you have much better interactions on the ship.

I am horrified that you have experienced such appalling behavior from so called grown ups. Your children are a delight and we are all enjoying having them with us.

.....no hot water again though!

Uggggggg. How annoying. I hope this gets resolved. I guess they can't move you elsewhere because it's likely booked up.

Wow. How horrible for your son to hear and observe such behaviour.

On another topic, were you able to get the early fixed dining that you desired? I hope so....

1 of 4, what an awful thing for someone to say and for your son to hear. I hope she gets her comeuppance.

I am curious how you are handling the children's school assignments. Has the lower priced Internet helped since I know many schools post assignments online. This really is a curiosity question with no judgements implied or intended. As a former teacher I think a trip like this has as much or more value than sitting in a classroom of bored students, but I know the schools require completion of certain things.

What a great group you are with. I am enjoying reading about everyone's adventures. Wishing I was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go so it must be time to start a LIVE thread. Yes, it's live thread time so I am setting it up so we can find it easily once we are on board.

After months of anticipation the Sail a Way Gang is on the Westerdam this Saturday! Lots of planning and lots of fun expected.

In fact, we have a pre-cruise dinner planned at Kelly's Landing.

I have asked the roll call to join in with any comments and I hope lots do.

And, of course, the Sail a Way Gang will be waving furiously at Sail a Way time. Look for us on the Observation deck near the Westerdam sign. Flags, banners, toot banner - we are going to be having fun waving from on board for a change:)

We are doing the Panama Canal - a full transit - here is our itinerary:

CruiseDetails.action%3FwebItineraryIdForAudit%3DT5P21W%26fromSearchVacation%3Dtrue%26destList%3DL%2CT%26dateCode%3D4_2015%26flexibleMonths%3Dfalse%26noOfFlexibleMonths%3D1%26portCode%3D%26shipCodeSearch%3DWE%26voyageCode%3DW534

Jacqui!

So enjoy your trip!!!!

Say Hi to Donna at Kelly's Landing!

Good food when we were there 2 weeks ago!

Even another waitress small world lived where we live in Leucadia a beach town in San Diego!

Wish we were on board!

I will be watching and looking for you!

Denise

1 of 4, what an awful thing for someone to say and for your son to hear. I hope she gets her comeuppance.

I am curious how you are handling the children's school assignments. Has the lower priced Internet helped since I know many schools post assignments online. This really is a curiosity question with no judgements implied or intended. As a former teacher I think a trip like this has as much or more value than sitting in a classroom of bored students, but I know the schools require completion of certain things.

What a great group you are with. I am enjoying reading about everyone's adventures. Wishing I was there.

Thank you. And to everyone that posted regarding what happened last night. We are hoping it was her version of a joke but we had other disapproving comments, not just as pointed as this one. DH was not amused when I told him vans he will address it when he sees her.

Boytjie is on the track, I imagine, of what DH will say.

as for school work. We informed the teachers back in September of our plans to take this cruise. DS has his work uploaded "-to the cloud" and he does it on DH'S computer. Thank goodness for this all inclusive Internet package for the first 16 days. $149 - fantastic!

DD has to prepare a slide show on the Panama Canal and our visit to the children's school in Guatemala for her "Me to We" group at school. Her teacher said that she fully supports this trip...but her average is A+ so I am sure that helps.

Wow. How horrible for your son to hear and observe such behaviour.

On another topic, were you able to get the early fixed dining that you desired? I hope so....

Thanks. Yes we did get assigned to table 83 for early fixed dining. Our TA went to bat for us before we left. There are no spare tables so we are very happy.

I am appalled at that couple's comments. How hurtful, whether they thought is was funny or not. I have never been bothered by children on any trip unless they are being rude and disrespectful.....which I can see isn't the case with yours. Please tell your DS that not old people feel that way to to embrace his trip as the educational trip it will be. Something, that hopefully, he will remember long after the comment.

I am horrified that you have experienced such appalling behavior from so called grown ups. Your children are a delight and we are all enjoying having them with us.

.....no hot water again though!

:o thank you

:eek: on the hot water!

Thank you. And to everyone that posted regarding what happened last night. We are hoping it was her version of a joke but we had other disapproving comments, not just as pointed as this one. DH was not amused when I told him vans he will address it when he sees her.

Boytjie is on the track, I imagine, of what DH will say.

as for school work. We informed the teachers back in September of our plans to take this cruise. DS has his work uploaded "-to the cloud" and he does it on DH'S computer. Thank goodness for this all inclusive Internet package for the first 16 days. $149 - fantastic!

DD has to prepare a slide show on the Panama Canal and our visit to the children's school in Guatemala for her "Me to We" group at school. Her teacher said that she fully supports this trip...but her average is A+ so I am sure that helps.

thx for answering. I was curious but didn't want to ask. What a great opportunity for your children. I hope you don't run into more of these bitter people.