Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

I ran out of time before I left :eek:

I couldn't get into my webmail last night but I hopefully later or tomorrow by the afternoon I can get in and go searching for your email and will send you an e. I hadn't forgotten about your kind offer. I just plain ran out of time. Embarrassing isn't it?

thanks again:)

No worries, I can tell you are all having a fabulous time! :D (Except for the lack of hot water and manners of some people.)

I have to agree with others that this captain is very personable and we appreciated his stern commands at the muster drill. It went quicker with no loud chit chat going on.

I have only one complaint today..... too much hot water, heehee! Seriously the staff and crew have been great and all issues attended to quickly and pleasantly. I think it helps that we do not dump on them when things go wrong. Yesterday a passenger did a melt down in the Neptune lounge because his TV was not work in properly and goddammit the golf was on!!! After he left in a huge huff I turned to the concierge and said good job he has hot water can you imagine the tantrum if it was something that serious? We both had a good giggle.

Great time meeting everyone yesterday, and putting faces to names. this is an awesome group.

Edited by Lizzie68

Great meeting you as well! If you want to test the limits of your unlimited Internet, here's the link to download a ZIP file of all the photos. It will be a pretty big file.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eq004vbnaai8lai/AACiU6owWuEDr_4BJLuwf76oa?dl=1

Refuses to connect to dropbox, says ERR_CONNECTION_RESET still, so I think they must not allow access on the Value package.

So far, so good for a great cruise. Yesterdays Meet and Greet was very well attended, especially with several ship's officer in attendance given they had just finished a crew emergency drill. The 4pm navigation update and Q and A in the Crows Nest was standing room only and lasted well more than 30 minutes, but that might have been aided by the concurrent happy hour.

We are at a 4 top at Main Dining (table 17) right along the window but have not seen anything of our tablemates. So, last night we asked Mumsysailor and her DH to join us; they have open dining. As it was first formal night, we 4 dressed sharply and had a wonderful dinner. I love it when new friends seem so much like old friends so quickly. We hope they'll share another meal with us before the cruise ends.

Seas began to get rough and tumbly around dinnertime last night and are still giving us lessons on sea legs now. DW isn't a fan but I love being reminded I am at sea! :D

Scrapnana is coming from Cunard, where a TV morning show is pretty much standard. I don't remember seeing it on HAL, which seems to prefer a live "coffee chat" in either the showroom or Wajang theater. At least on the World Cruise last year that show was rebroadcast on TV after the live presentation. I'm wondering if that is what's happening on the Westerdam or a true TV morning show.

Roy

It's on the TV Roy. a true TV morning show. I haven't seen it in the On Location as it was on the P'dam.

Thank you. And to everyone that posted regarding what happened last night. We are hoping it was her version of a joke but we had other disapproving comments, not just as pointed as this one. DH was not amused when I told him vans he will address it when he sees her.

Boytjie is on the track, I imagine, of what DH will say.

as for school work. We informed the teachers back in September of our plans to take this cruise. DS has his work uploaded "-to the cloud" and he does it on DH'S computer. Thank goodness for this all inclusive Internet package for the first 16 days. $149 - fantastic!

DD has to prepare a slide show on the Panama Canal and our visit to the children's school in Guatemala for her "Me to We" group at school. Her teacher said that she fully supports this trip...but her average is A+ so I am sure that helps.

Glad your son is able to keep up with his assignments while cruising.

Love the assignment that your daughter was given.

What a learning experience your children are having.

I kind of went ahead but back to yesterday, smooth embarkation and DH did not clue in when they checked off our cabin number nor when we ggotthe gold card and before the lady could explain our benefits - I said it's ok - we know. DH noticed some cards were blue and I Vict0riann came to my rescue and said some cards are blue and some are gold - you are probably 4* mariners. LOL (she is too)

So we head to the room and Jose is starting to realize we must be on the wrong floor as we walk past the Neptune Lounge. he was about to say something to me (he told me later) and then figured I probably knew a short cut and was going to go down a flight of stairs. When I stopped at the room with the balloons, he was puzzled and about to tell me I was on the wrong floor when my key worked. He looked and said - sheesh this is ok for a Signature Suite. I found my gift card for him and just laughed and said happy anniversary.

WHAT? WHAT? really????

At dinner he told me he was still in shock - and yes he was very happy. :)

The man does have good taste after all.

So the surprise really worked. I figured by embarkation I would be caught and what the heck, I would tell him but no, right to the room.

He is a very happy camper :)

Just catching up.

I am so glad that the surprise worked out so well.

Refuses to connect to dropbox, says ERR_CONNECTION_RESET still, so I think they must not allow access on the Value package.

Probably. I tested it from my phone and several computer browsers. I'll leave the pictures up so you can get them once you're home. In the meantime, I'll try to see if there's a workaround.

You may want to try the other URL, which ends in dl=0 instead of dl=1. The latter is a link to download all the files in a very large ZIP file. The former just displays them in your browser.

I had no idea that any HAL ship did a morning show on TV. This is what you get from watching only the bow camera and the weather channel!!

I really like the cabin layout. The TV seems to be an inconvenient spot, though. Can you watch it from the bed?

Hope you continue to enjoy HAL!!

My routine is to turn on the TV when I get up and are getting ready for the day. What I call the "morning show" I found out today is actually called "Good Morning Westerdam". It runs continually from 6am(?) until 10. Today Shane (the CD) talked with the guest lecturer on the Panama Canal.

The TV location actually works for me because when I watch I am usually sitting at the desk or in the chair next to the couch. I don't have a TV in my bedroom at home so I am not used to watching from bed.

My routine is to turn on the TV when I get up and are getting ready for the day. What I call the "morning show" I found out today is actually called "Good Morning Westerdam". It runs continually from 6am(?) until 10. Today Shane (the CD) talked with the guest lecturer on the Panama Canal.

The TV location actually works for me because when I watch I am usually sitting at the desk or in the chair next to the couch. I don't have a TV in my bedroom at home so I am not used to watching from bed.

Thanks!

Will file away the info about the morning show for future cruises.

DH like to watch TV from the bed. Maybe not the thing to do in this cabin, but I still like the layout and the placement of the window!

It's on the TV Roy. a true TV morning show. I haven't seen it in the On Location as it was on the P'dam.

Seems to be a lot of variation, I don't know if it's by ship or by Cruise Director choice. I looked at a number of my On Locations:

Prinsendam, 11/2013: TV show listed in On Location

Amsterdam WC, 4/2014: Coffee chat, generally in Wajang theater, rebroadcast on TV

Statendam, 8/2014: No mention of either live or TV and I don't remember

Ryndam, New Years: TV show listed in On Location

Maasdam, 1/2015: Coffee chat, often in Showroom, no mention of TV rebroadcast

and now

Westerdam, 5/15: TV show, but not listed in On Location

I'm guessing this is totally up to the CD.

Roy

Seems to be a lot of variation, I don't know if it's by ship or by Cruise Director choice. I looked at a number of my On Locations:

Prinsendam, 11/2013: TV show listed in On Location

Amsterdam WC, 4/2014: Coffee chat, generally in Wajang theater, rebroadcast on TV

Statendam, 8/2014: No mention of either live or TV and I don't remember

Ryndam, New Years: TV show listed in On Location

Maasdam, 1/2015: Coffee chat, often in Showroom, no mention of TV rebroadcast

and now

Westerdam, 5/15: TV show, but not listed in On Location

I'm guessing this is totally up to the CD.

Roy

I'm guessing you are right!

For years we've been going to the live "Good Morning, .......dam" shows, usually in the Crow's Nest at 9 am.

Did not really know they were broadcast on TV, either live or later.

These live "Good morning,..." interviews have been listed in every program for the cruises we have been on. Never saw any write-up or schedule for what is (re)broadcast on TV.

If I wake up in time on the 16 Apr I'll watch as you guys enter the canal at 0500 on the Panama Canal web cam. If not I'll try to catch you as you transit the canal. Sounds like you had a great M&G.

Allan

Its not much if a show. Its been on every ship I've been on. It consists of the cruise director reading the daily paper. Its much more interesting on princess.

definitely it varies from ship to ship as my experience has always been that they are interviews (Prinsendam and Maasdam are my latest) as well as here. Today was an interview with our guest lecturer who gave us some tidbits on the Panama Canal

definitely it varies from ship to ship as my experience has always been that they are interviews (Prinsendam and Maasdam are my latest) as well as here. Today was an interview with our guest lecturer who gave us some tidbits on the Panama Canal

That's worthwhile. I've never seen anything like that.

Great pictures Jacqui -- I don't know who is who.

Hope you answer my question.

KK, catching up and missed this.

I Had permission from roll call members to post pictures but the names have been left out to protect the innocent :) I

You may want to try the other URL, which ends in dl=0 instead of dl=1. The latter is a link to download all the files in a very large ZIP file. The former just displays them in your browser.

Both URLs yield same results across all browsers on my tablet. Thanks for the suggestion to try both, Brian. I don't use dropbox myself so don't have an account to see if I have access to it with the Value package but can access my evernote account with both browser and app. Weird.

About 20 of us had a fantastic lunch in the Pinnacle Grill today. As a solo traveler, one of the nice things about an active roll call is getting groups like this together. I probably would never have tried PG on my own.

About 20 of us had a fantastic lunch in the Pinnacle Grill today. As a solo traveler, one of the nice things about an active roll call is getting groups like this together. I probably would never have tried PG on my own.

Absolutely correct! My 2012 Auckland-Sydney-Vancouver Volendam cruise had an active roll call and we enjoyed many activities and get togethers during the cruise, including lunches. Several of us in that group will have a reunion on the Statendam's final HAL voyage in September and the same planning is/will take place.

It's so good to hear that people are still having a good time despite the lack of hot water (hope it comes soon!) and rude passengers (I'd kill her with kindness, alright:rolleyes:).

We had the "Good Morning" show on both the trans-Atlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and our So. Carib./Panama Canal on the Zuiderdam. I really enjoyed it because the CD had a different guest every day, and sometimes they were really funny with their interactions. The show ran for about 10 - 15 minutes and was in a constant loop from about 7 until 10 every morning.

I hope your days are sunny and bright - don't forget the sunscreen!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Isn't the Pinnacle great for lunch, so glad you thought it was fantastic.:) What did you have?