Tea and Coffee served?

Germancruiser

Quite new to HAL- going on the Niew Amsterdam in December. We have been on HAL´s Zuiderdam last year and liked it very much, what we did miss was that tea and coffee was not beeing served in the Crows Nest- and paper cups too. So my question- did we miss the spot were tea and coffee is beeing served in propper china- something similar to Al Bacio on X- ships?

Thanks

when I was on the Rotterdam last November/December the staff in the Explorations Cafe alsways asked if I would like a paper cup or a china cup. If you go to the afternoon tea, tea will be served using china cups as well. Hope this helps as well.

There was a time when the Explorations Café did serve coffee and tea in cups with saucers. But many people did not stay in that area. After buying their coffee and teas, they would wonder off and just leave the cups and saucers wherever.

Thus it was decided to switch to paper cups.

The Lido also offers cups and mugs vs. paper though they are not as nice as those in the MDR. I think I've become quite accustomed to paper cups, grabbing them on my way into the office. I do feel they keep drinks warmer longer, and also, are generally larger than most cups/saucers.

Thanks all for the information- ah afternoon tea- that must be hold in the dinning room I asume!?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, afternoon tea is served in the main dining room and is lovely. Usually there is a theme for each tea service, the Indonesian tea is one of my favorites.

On some ships afternoon tea is served in the Crows Nest, on a sea day it's a nice way to spend an hour or so watching the world go by. Coffee in paper cups is bad enough but tea in paper cups is awful. They used to have nice china cups with Exploration Café on the side, they sold them for awhile as souvenirs, don't know if they still do.

Allan

I am much more interested in what is in the cup as opposed to what the cup is made of although I admit that the container has an influence of the taste of the contents. In general, I find that ship coffee taste varies between awful to abysmal. Also, all ship coffee is very weak.

DON

I complain at the end of each cruise in the survey that the coffee in the Lido is very weak. I love the coffee in the Exploration Cafe or the stuff we get after dinner in the MDR. I guess they use different coffee for each place.

Allan

Uah- Fields tea- they had that on board Millenium four weeks ago- awfull brew. Early Grey tasted like , well I can´t really say- uah- smelled like you put bathing stuff into a cup. Thats what I thought- next i bring my own stuff! LOL. I am real tea freak- so I better! Twinnings, Harvey´s even Bigelow is fine. X used to have " tea forte" very nice and great taste! I never would dream of getting the " High End Stuff " like Kusmi or TWG...! LOL

Edited by Germancruiser

That would be great- Crows Nest is such a great spot- put one or two service People there serve the tea in proper china and you have new HAL - Fan! LOL!

Thank you all for the provided information!

While that seems simple, they are so short staffed on the ships these days, there isn't likely to be anyone available to serve tea in their Rosenthal china cups in Crows Nest. :)

No reason you cannot bring a cup or mug of your own and have Explorations Café server use that for your beverage.

Never experienced tea on the Amsterdam in the Crow's Nest - must be something new.

Agree Field's tea is awful and so very limited in flavor or flavors. Looks like I will start packing my own tea bags as like the herbal teas like orange spice, lemon lift, etc in the afternoon.