Insurance Idiot

TXRed

Guest maddycat
Geezers had a very good point buried in his post. He said, "Within a week of all docs being received, they called us to say "the check's in the mail", and a few days later the check arrived."

Buying insurance is only half the battle. The other half is getting the claim paid. I thought I bought a good policy through TravelSafe directly. They had all the coverage I wanted (including medical evacuation).

The problem is my flight was cancelled in May and there was no way I could make it to the ship in time, couldn't catch it at the next port. So I submitted a claim to their claims company Trip Mate. I submitted all required documentation including receipts and credit card statements.

It took Trip Mate SEVEN WEEKS just to confirm I had a valid policy with TravelSafe. Then it took ELEVEN WEEKS to confirm with American Airlines that my flight was indeed cancelled.

I finally got a call three months after the claim was submitted that they paid the claim. It took numerous calls during this time to inquire about the status of the claim. I got "no answer" answers.

When I asked who I could file a complaint with, I was told they don't have a complaint department or procedure...call the Better Business Bureau!

So find out before you buy the policy who administers the claim and what people have experienced when filing a claim. It doesn't do any good to have great policy coverage that looks for ways NOT to pay your valid claim.

I'll never purchase insurance again that uses Trip Mate to administer claims!! But next time I will call Steve to see what insurance he would recommend. I've read on this board that he has gone to bat for his clients with the insurance company. If that's true, it probably would have sped up the claim and saved me from having to hound the process.

Your post is the 2nd that I've read recently where someone has had trouble with a travel insurance claim. Both were administered by Trip Mate. Unfortunately, I have 3 Travel Safe policies for future cruises. However, all were purchased through The Trip Insurance Store. Steve has assured me that if I have to put in a claim he will assist me.

Needless to say, when I purchase travel insurance in the future I will no longer buy a Travel Safe policy.

Your post is the 2nd that I've read recently where someone has had trouble with a travel insurance claim. Both were administered by Trip Mate. Unfortunately, I have 3 Travel Safe policies for future cruises. However, all were purchased through The Trip Insurance Store. Steve has assured me that if I have to put in a claim he will assist me.

Needless to say, when I purchase travel insurance in the future I will no longer buy a Travel Safe policy.

Thank you for your post. I have two more cruises insured by them directly so I'm hoping for uneventful travel in that way. :)

However I'm sure that since Steve's company probably does a lot of business with them that he carries more weight than an individual. So I wouldn't be as concerned.

I Google'd "Trip Mate review", it was quite eye opening. Since this was my first claim for Travel Safe, I had no idea until this event that Trip Mate even existed. Thus the original title of this thread fits me.

BTW I called Travel Safe customer service number after getting no where with Trip Mate and the person answering the phone said she would have her supervisor call me. That was my last conversation with them. I was also told by Trip Mate that her supervisor would return my call. Never happened either.

That's why I'll use Steve next time. I suspect they'll return his call.

Edited by ChucktownSteve