Sunshine or Dream for parents in their 60s and for us.

cocacola86

My DW and I've been on 3 Carnival cruises, but my parents have never been on a cruise or the Caribbean, there in their 60s, my dad has walking trouble. I'm just wondering if you can help me out, would this be a good ship for them and us, I think a cruise is better for them rather than a behemoth like Oasis. Or if this isn't a good ship can you recommend one or what inteneary would be good, eastern, western or Southern, my DW and I've done all three. I'm kind of looking at Sunshine or Dream so what has better deck plans but yet give them a good time.

We are in our 60's so i understand the concern. I dont think the ship makes a difference as much as just takin it slower. There are elevators to get you up and down the floors of the ship. I choose the excursions carefully and read the reviews to make sure we are able to do them. I know your parents will enjoy it for there are so many activites. There is always something going on to do.. have fun!

Just a thought. You did not say when you were thinking of sailing or itinerary. Would they be overwhelmed if you all picked a "Spring Break" cruise or are they Young-un's too at heart. Being in your parents age group...for their first cruise I sincerely hope you have a memorable family experience.

I haven't been on either, (been on the breeze though). I seem to remember a sunshine review (we were considering that ship), that said it was very broken up and you had to constantly go up and down to get places. Maybe someone who has been on it can chime in, but I know the stairs would have been difficult for my parents to keep doing all week. I love the dream class ships. I would get a cove and go dream!

Definitely try to find an itinerary with no tender ports. Or if this is one, maybe use that time to stay onboard instead and enjoy the empty ship! And I would definitely look at the excursions available to find activities that they would enjoy. This may be the only time they ever travel to these places.

There deck plan is a little different. I highly suggest u view their deck plans as it relates to their dining halls. Unlike other carnival ships, comedy club and other venues are small and fill up quickly.

I have been on both..... do not go on Sunshine... Dream hands down..... Sunshine is a crowded mess... during remodel they added 500 more passengers. . Lido area hard to navigate and going up and down and front to back just to get to dining rooms...

Run in the opposite direction from the Sunshine. We did the 11-day repo on the Sunshine. Loved the cruise...hated, did I put HATED?, the ship.

Broken up.

Crowded.

Understaffed.

TINY public areas.

DREAM, is, well - a Dream!

Mary

What're the pros and cons about the dream?

Cons - I'm not in my 60's (50's), but we were on the Dream last fall a couple of months before I had to break down and have back surgery. So, I was having a lot of difficulties with walking. The Dream is really big and requires a lot of walking. So, if you choose it, be sure to pick a good MID-SHIP cabin location. The elevators always seemed to be overcrowded.

Pro - Offers a lot of eating venues and had a really good crew.

I have sailed the Dream twice and looking forward to the Sunshine next month. The Dream is large. I always see at least five older larger adults on motor scooters. When I sail the Dream, I lose weight due to all the walking. Smaller ships like Fantasy class or Glory, I have gained weight. On the Dream one thing that is nice if you end up at the back side of the restaurant because you took the wrong elevator - you can cut through and they don't get mad. It looks like from the Sunshine if you stick to Atrium elevators and do set dining times (from reviews ATD there is stairs issue for person checking you in) then Sunshine will fine.

I also agree that look for non tender stops.

I would choose Dream over Sunshine in a NY minute! I have been on Dream 6 times and planning on a 7th this summer. Deck 5 has tons of things going on and it goes from the bow to the stern of the ship.

Sunshine is chopped up and is just an old ship remodeled by adding a few good things, but adding more cabins makes it too crowded.

I wouldn't go on either during spring break though.