Just booked our 1st cruise!

AprilJ

I just booked my husband and I on the Carnival Freedom out of NoLa on 6/6/16 for our 25th wedding anniversary celebration!

I chose a balcony room on the Empress deck, hoping this was a good choice based on the things I've read saying that its quietest in between cabin decks?!?!

I'm curious to know how (if any) private the balconies are?

Thanks - I've been reading/lurking a ton, but I know I will have a bunch more questions so thanks again in advance!! =)

By "private", they mean you won't be sharing! NO balcony is 100% private. Your neighbors can "peek" around the dividers, and on some ships, there is a small gap...not big enough to have full view, but you can tell if folks are on the other balcony.

So..don't do anything out there that you wouldn't want to be seen! And, port days is when they clean the ship, so don't throw open your drapes without peeking out first....sometimes, a window washer is outside your balcony!

Congrats on your anniversary and first cruise! NOLA is a fun port to embark from and the trip down the river is pretty neat. If you can hang in until around 11-12:00pm, it is also interesting to see all the oil platforms in the gulf when you break out of the river!

Plan on coming back addicted to cruising! It's a horrible addiction! :rolleyes:

By "private", they mean you won't be sharing! NO balcony is 100% private. Your neighbors can "peek" around the dividers, and on some ships, there is a small gap...not big enough to have full view, but you can tell if folks are on the other balcony.

So..don't do anything out there that you wouldn't want to be seen! And, port days is when they clean the ship, so don't throw open your drapes without peeking out first....sometimes, a window washer is outside your balcony!

Thank you, I didn't know how relaxed sunbathing could be on the balcony, but you answered that!

Congrats on your anniversary and first cruise! NOLA is a fun port to embark from and the trip down the river is pretty neat. If you can hang in until around 11-12:00pm, it is also interesting to see all the oil platforms in the gulf when you break out of the river!

Plan on coming back addicted to cruising! It's a horrible addiction! :rolleyes:

We are going to arrive in NoLa mid-day Saturday and plan to enjoy exploring the FQ before the cruise!

Welcome and congrats on your first cruise and 25th. We sailed on the Carnival Fantasy for our 25th 4 years ago.

Private means it is your balcony. Unless you invite someone to join you, you and your spouse will be alone. Private does not mean no one can see you. In some case people above can look down on you. These are usually referred to as "Uncovered". You probably do not want to be uncovered on an uncovered balcony. It will also be possible for people on either side of you to lean out and look into your balcony.

As was mentioned earlier, "private" does not necessarily mean totally secluded--you'll be alone on the balcony, but sometimes you can be seen by others. I really wouldn't be concerned. I've not had many encounters with my balcony neighbors. The Empress deck is a nice level, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your choice.

BTW, NOLA is a fabulous city. Lots of culture, history and so much to do and see. My Mom was born and raised there, and used to take us back for a visit every year. If you get a chance, check out the Central Grocery for muffalettas, or my Mom's favorite, Dooky Chase's. Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise and also on your upcoming anniversary! 25 years is an incredible milestone and a cruise is a wonderful way to celebrate!

As others have said, your balcony is not really very private. In addition to the other cautions already mentioned, keep in mind that people on either side of you can hear your voices and you can hear theirs.

Edited by JimAOk1945