Communicating with kids back home.

Captain Fletch

I have some concerns about the best/cheapest way to communicate with our kids (3 and 8) back home. They are used to me being gone a week or so at a time, but this will be the first time they will be spending time without mama lol. I honestly think the kids will be fine. The wife is gonna be miserable if she's unable to video chat her kids at least once a day.

Ive been checking, but can't find a thread similar to my questions that I can research. We will be on the Carnival Glory next month. Besides the onboard internet package, is it true that some ports will have free wi-fi? We will be visiting Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. Some guidance with this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Not sure how well video chat will work over ship wifi, they may even block that kind of thing. Best to find wifi in port. Same places have free wifi with consumption. Others may charge a fee. That only works on port days, sea days will require wifi at sea, it certainly isn't cheap but if you are willing to pay, it is the best way to stay in touch.

Whenever we cruise, we just tell people we will be out of touch for the duration of the cruise. People can send DW messages on Facebook or leave a VM on the cell phone that we can get when we are within reach of the US mainland or in one of the USVI. Outside of that, cruising pretty much disconnects us from home.

Lots of them in San Juan and St Thomas-----in Grand Turk go to the "juice bar" near the dock.

We have used McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. all around the world. Also, here is a site that lists free wifi (go about halfway down and click on the Caribbean). The only place I see on your list that won't have free wifi is Half Moon Cay.

FREE WIFI SITES

St. Thomas is a US "state" so you should have no issue with using your stateside carrier to chat with your kids. On Grand Turk, there is free WiFi at a little drink store, Slushi's I think, just outside the duty free shops. San Juan is also a US possession so it is probable that you will be able to use your cell provider there also. HMC...you're on your own. Don't recall any free WiFi and certainly not in cell range! You will probably need to research the internet packages offered by Carnival and see how you can use it to communicate.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Your wife should be prepared for the kids, especially the 3-year-old, not being interested in talking or video chatting much with "Mom". More than likely, they are going to be having a ball with whoever is taking care of them and they aren't really going to be interested in what Mom and Dad are doing. (Remember, they are kids and kids are self-centered.)

I can remember my mom telling us about the time she and my dad left us 5 kids with our grandparents for a "couples vacation" and upon their return, our comment was, "Oh, you're back?" She said she was devastated because she had thought about us the whole time she was gone and we hadn't given them a moment's thought. That's what kids do.

Your wife should be prepared for the kids, especially the 3-year-old, not being interested in talking or video chatting much with "Mom". More than likely, they are going to be having a ball with whoever is taking care of them and they aren't really going to be interested in what Mom and Dad are doing. (Remember, they are kids and kids are self-centered.)

I can remember my mom telling us about the time she and my dad left us 5 kids with our grandparents for a "couples vacation" and upon their return, our comment was, "Oh, you're back?" She said she was devastated because she had thought about us the whole time she was gone and we hadn't given them a moment's thought. That's what kids do.

The first time our son and daughter in law left their girls with us for a week, the girls smiled and said "Goodbye Mom & Dad"----then we spoiled them like grandparents are entitled to do. When their parents came to pick them up the girls started crying and saying "We don't want to go!" :D

Edited by chocolate melting cake

Not sure about the success of video chatting, but if you wanted to check in with them, via whoever will be taking care of them, you could always use the free "Currently Onboard" forum on the Carnival Forums. It is free to use on the ship, just have to go to the internet cafe and use one of the computers there... You can post messages that the caretaker can read to the kids, and they can post back on how they are doing.

Not sure about the success of video chatting, but if you wanted to check in with them, via whoever will be taking care of them, you could always use the free "Currently Onboard" forum on the Carnival Forums. It is free to use on the ship, just have to go to the internet cafe and use one of the computers there... You can post messages that the caretaker can read to the kids, and they can post back on how they are doing.

I never knew about this!! Thank you so much...going over there to set up an account now.

I never knew about this!! Thank you so much...going over there to set up an account now.

It is really easy, just create your own userID and password, and then have the other person do the same, head to the Currently Onboard forums, and do a test run before you sail....

It is really easy, just create your own userID and password, and then have the other person do the same, head to the Currently Onboard forums, and do a test run before you sail....

Yes, I sent my daughter the link to get set up and make sure we know how it works before sailing. Unfortunately, it won't let me create a new ID right now...says its down for maintenance so I will have to play with it later. Thank you so much for the tip!!!

Yes, I sent my daughter the link to get set up and make sure we know how it works before sailing. Unfortunately, it won't let me create a new ID right now...says its down for maintenance so I will have to play with it later. Thank you so much for the tip!!!

It's a great thing when it works. Only do text as pictures take forever to download.