7 day Society Islands cruise, would you prefer Port or Starboard?

homeatlast

Or stay on deck three or four, save a bundle so you can go again. Use the ship as your balcony.

I absolutely agree--you spend very little time in your cabin on this cruise, and I have not found having a balcony much of a benefit.

As for port or starboard, it does not matter, since when the ship is anchored, it swings around. Only time it might possibly matter would be a couple of the short sail bys in the islands, where if you were on, say, starboard, you could sit on your balcony and watch the scenery, but I can't remember which, and the route has changed somewhat since I did that itinerary. I seem to remember a beautiful Taha'a sail by.

First decide if it worth the cost for a balcony. I agree with Twin that times not but obviously many people do their own thing. If you want to spend the money then again, agree with Wendy. It does not matter which side.

For the cost of the balcony you can stay on deck 3 or 4 in the exact same size cabin and return for a second cruise at almost the same cost.

For the cost of the balcony you can stay on deck 3 or 4 in the exact same size cabin and return for a second cruise at almost the same cost.

That was exactly my rationale the first time we booked in 2000, and we have, in fact, been back 5 times now, and are booked for a 6th. So it worked for us!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind comments about the review...I also think my review serves to offer a perspective from the type of traveler that is doing PG as a "once in a lifetime " "romantic milestone" trip. With all due respect to the experience of those who regularly sail the PG; as a one timer, what you want from the experience may be different.

First, we were budgeting for one trip in 5 years, not trying to squeeze in multiple visits to FP in a year or 2, so it wasn't a budget consideration.

Secondly, being first timers, we didn't have a relationship with waiters or other passengers (yet) that makes public deck socializing more fun.

3rd, we were on an anniversary trip, and wanted some romantic privacy...while no one will throw you overboard if you are caught nuzzling on a public deck, or give you the evil eye, you also might not want an audience so having your own balcony to watch the scenery go by while snuggling can be nice.

4th the ship often moves just before dinner time on the 7 night...sort of from 5-630 PM. It's like having a private sunset cruise every evening. Or it's fun to get on the balcony as soon as waking (in pjs?) to see what beautiful scene is out that window! We found this the most enjoyable time to be on our balcony...and we were often in and out during various states of prepping for dinner or the day, one in the shower, one in a robe, etc. We might pop out to take a photo or see something particularly pretty outside. We liked being able to enjoy that time on the balcony while we got ready. I didn't try going up on deck in my robe, but maybe some people have done it ;)?

Finally, it's always a personal consideration about whether to get a balcony cabin or not, but while I have found the advice from people who do this regularly very helpful, sometimes it may not be the very best advice for a first timers situation, especially one who is doing a romantic, once in a life time type trip!

Finally, it's always a personal consideration about whether to get a balcony cabin or not, but while I have found the advice from people who do this regularly very helpful, sometimes it may not be the very best advice for a first timers situation, especially one who is doing a romantic, once in a life time type trip!

I understand what you're saying, but beware. We booked our once in a lifetime trip in 2000, and chose the Paul Gauguin. Certainly we would never do anything like that again.

Except we've now been back on the Paul Gauguin in 2003, 2005 (7-day back-to-back), 2008 (Marquesas), 2014 (Repeater's cruise) and are booked for 2016. Plus we've been on Regent's Voyager 4 times, Navigator twice, the dear departed Diamond once, and Oceania's Rivieria once. We're also booked for our first river cruises: Egypt this October and Amsterdam - Budapest in 2016.

So this "once in a lifetime" thing can easily get totally out of control. It certainly has in our case.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I understand what you're saying, but beware. We booked our once in a lifetime trip in 2000, and chose the Paul Gauguin. Certainly we would never do anything like that again.

Except we've now been back on the Paul Gauguin in 2003, 2005 (7-day back-to-back), 2008 (Marquesas), 2014 (Repeater's cruise) and are booked for 2016. Plus we've been on Regent's Voyager 4 times, Navigator twice, the dear departed Diamond once, and Oceania's Rivieria once. We're also booked for our first river cruises: Egypt this October and Amsterdam - Budapest in 2016.

So this "once in a lifetime" thing can easily get totally out of control. It certainly has in our case.

Lol, it's well documented FP flu! ;) now that I've done it once, I might chose differently next time, especially if I wanted to fit in PG along with another trip in the same year, but I thought it was important to get that perspective out there for people who might only have one opportunity! We loved our river cruise, hope yiu enjoy yours! :D