ALASKA Cabin WOES --Is wrong side cabin that bad?

JeannetteC

I spent an hour on-line today trying to get a decent balcony cabin to Alaska on either Coral or Island going in either direction. I looked over an 8 week period this summer. I found only 2 or 3 cabins that were not at the very front or very back of the ship. My on-line registration failed and I called an agent. She said that the cabins I found were on the "wrong" viewing side for the Alaska trip and that I should do it right or not at all. She found me a cabin on the back of the ship but I'm worried about being seasick. She told me that it's the front of the ship I should be worried about and people don't get sick in the aft. My experience on RCL last month was that the people who had aft cabins were the sickest. Lastly, there was a handicapped cabin available on the rear of the ship and she told me not to take it because I might be forced to move. I ended up not booking anything. She advised me to look at Celebrity for more availability. So, my questions are:

1. Is a cabin right in front of the ship bad for seasickness?

2. Is a balcony on the "wrong" side of the ship really that bad?

3. Does anyone have experience with booking a handicapped cabin?

Thank you.

In the past if a handicapped person books a cruise and you are booked in a handicapp room, yes you will be moved. Happened to me!! As for the seasickness, I always prefer the middle or back of the ship. The front you tend to feel more of the up & down motion of the ship. Last, 'bad' side to see Alaska....I believe in that. Last year I traveled to Alaska with my family and had 4 cabins 3 on one side(port) and the 4th on the opposite side(starboard). The cabin that was starboard (right) on the southbound cruise missed some nice sites while cruising the Inside passage. Other than that, the ship rotates around by the glaciers so everybody has a chance to view the sites.

Hope this helps you a little better. Alaska is such a great place.

Tina

Upcoming voyages:

Carnival Fascination May 14

Caribbean Princess June 12

Carnival- 7 voyages

Celebrity- 3 voyages

NCL- 2 voyages

Princess- 2 voyage

Royal Caribbean- 7 voyages

I've sailed to Alaska 9 times with more 2/3 being inside cabins. Personally I don't think either side is really any better than the other as you really want to be on an open topside deck for the best overall view.

Also I prefer the stern over the bow as I think you would feel the motion less. If you get one of the cabins facing the aft they are by far the best view .

Doug

5/95 Crown Princess Alaska

1/96 Crown Princess S Carib

2/97 Crown Princess S Carib

9/97 Crown Princess Panama

6/98 Island Princess Alaska

10/98 Crown Princess Tahiti

6/99 Norway Norway

9/99 Mercury Alaska

1/00 Rhapsody Mexico

3/00 Grand Princess E Carib

7/00 Regal Princess Alaska

10/00 Dawn Princess S Carib

2/01 Millenium W Caribbean

5/01 Statendam Alaska

5/01 Statendam Alaska

10/01 Sea Princess Mexico

5/02 Summit Hawaii/Vancouver

7/02 Grand Princess W Carib

8/02 Legend Alaska

11/02 Prinsendam Australia/NZ

1/03 Splendour W Caribbean

3/03 Mercury Pacific Coast

5/03 Sun Princess Alaska

5/03 Sun Princess Alaska

1/04 Dawn Princess S Caribbean

1/04 Dawn Princess S Caribbean

Like Doug I have cruised Alaska several times and find that the best viewing is from a deck not a balcony anyway. I have taken 9 rolls of film (in the days of film pictures) on a cruise in which we had an inside cabin.

You are overthinking, there is a huge amount to be seen everywhere. As to seasickness, low and center is best as everyone knows, but only rarely have I encountered anything that could make me or anyone else queasy, yes if push comes to shove, aft is better than forward. The stern if anything is subject to a bit of vibration but that is only on some ships.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I have also cruised Alaska multiple times like some of the others and will be doing back to backs in Alaska this May. So to try and answer your questions.

1. Is a cabin right in front of the ship bad for seasickness?

I have had cabins in the front of the ship and did seem to feel more movement, however it did not cause me to be seasick and I do get motion sickness fairly easy.

2. Is a balcony on the "wrong" side of the ship really that bad?

There really is no wrong side of the ship. The majority of the cruise is within the inside passage or in fjords looking at glaciers. There is land or islands to see on both sides of the ship for the majority of the cruise. When in the fjords glacier watching the ship will turn so that everyone gets a chance at seeing the glacier from their balcony if they wish. The only time there is a difference is between Vancouver and the Inside Passage and between the Inside Passage and Seward or Whittier but usually in this case you will go into the fjords to see the glaciers.

3. Does anyone have experience with booking a handicapped cabin?

If you are not handicapped and a handicapped person needs the room you could be bumped. In some cases to get a handicapped room you must have documentation to show you need the room. They do not have a lot of handicapped rooms on the ships.

May you have clear skies and calm seas!

I have done the inside passage some 20 times and both sides of the ship are the best. Some sights are on the port side and some on the starboard. I have a preference for the starboard side when sailing to Hubbard Glacier, but the port side is better enroute to the Colledge Fjord. Actually, I would book the starboard side if it really mattered, if you are up first thing in the morning like 4am-7am to watch the approach to ports.

The rooms closer to the bow will have more motion than the midship to aft rooms. The Dawn Princess vibrates and shunders a bit when slapping waves with the bow on the open sea. This is not a problem during most of the Inside Passage transite. We have had very big seas during storms when leaving Seward and the ship can really pitch.

John

Good for you, we had a balcony on the Satr and spent almost all of our time on the decks....much better views. When we go back we will probably get an ocean view but that is just us. Have a great time.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Isn't it funny that the travel agent wouldn't book me on the "wrong" side of the ship? I guess she felt strongly about it but it cost her money. I read all of your comments and then talked to a friend who told me that you can see from both sides of the ship most of the way and not to be dissuaded. Now, I'm so happy to be going. Thanks again.

Jeannette

Archived