For Budget Queen...

Debz62

And anyone else who has an opinion. I'm interested in you opinion on having an aft facing balcony cabin when going to Alaska. We're taking our first cruise there and I'm very worried about having a guarantee. We may very well end up having an aft facing balcony. I'm not thrilled as I think having a cabin on the side would be better for enjoying the scenery. What do you think?

We had a northbound RCI Radiance cruise to Alaska last May and had a corner aft balcony...It was amazing. We have had also had hump balconies on this ship/itinerary. Will be going again this September and feel lucky to have an aft again. All the locations have been wonderful..after all it's Alaska...don't worry about cabin location...enjoy !!!

Well, I am not Budget Queen but I do live in Alaska and have done Alaskan cruises.

While I happen to love aft staterooms and had a lovely aft stateroom (with an over-sized partially covered balcony) for a recent 42 night cruise to Antarctica and around South America I also think that being out and about on an upper deck is more important for viewing wild life and scenery than a balcony location. You need to be able to move from side to side for maximum enjoyment of the scenery.

And anyone else who has an opinion. I'm interested in you opinion on having an aft facing balcony cabin when going to Alaska. We're taking our first cruise there and I'm very worried about having a guarantee. We may very well end up having an aft facing balcony. I'm not thrilled as I think having a cabin on the side would be better for enjoying the scenery. What do you think?

I wouldn't worry too much about getting an aft balcony from a guarantee. Aft balconies are scooped up pretty early and are prized cabins.

Edited by pizzalady1

Well, I am not Budget Queen but I do live in Alaska and have done Alaskan cruises.

While I happen to love aft staterooms and had a lovely aft stateroom (with an over-sized partially covered balcony) for a recent 42 night cruise to Antarctica and around South America I also think that being out and about on an upper deck is more important for viewing wild life and scenery than a balcony location. You need to be able to move from side to side for maximum enjoyment of the scenery.

This ^^^^^ :D

I wouldn't worry too much about getting an aft balcony from a guarantee. Aft balconies are scooped up pretty early and are prized cabins.

I too thought the VB category aft cabins would be gone, but I've been checking every day for the last week and there are 6 of them open. Those and several VA category balconies. We plan on being on the deck most times for the scenery, but it sure be nice to have a view of glaciers from our balcony instead of mostly water. Perhaps having never been on a cruise to Alaska I'm way over thinking this! :)

Thank you all for your opinions.

I'm definitely, not the one to give any opinions about balconies ;) I book the cheap guarantees a lot of times and don't care where my cabin is.

I wouldn't want aft personally, since it's my priority to view forward to back.

I will mention- that for anyone, sailing Glacier Bay and ONLY want their viewing from their cabin- then they are better off with a port side cabin, so the commentary matches up for what they are seeing. :) Otherwise the side doesn't matter.

Debz have you gotten any Upsell offers to a suite? Just curious because there are so many open..look at it this way you may even get upgraded to a suite!

When in the glacier area the ship will turn so all get a good view, so don't worry you will be fine wherever you get. When sailing the inside passage you can see land from all positions. Just enjoy the anticipation, it all goes so fast.

We have an aft balcony booked for our NCL Sun northbound cruise 5 Sept 2016.

Hopefully, we will have less wind on an aft balcony and that will reduce the chill of Sept.

We had an aft balcony on our recent Singapore to Dubai (late March/early April) and it was mostly too hot to use the balcony. I hope it is not too chilly on our Alaska cruise.

Debz have you gotten any Upsell offers to a suite? Just curious because there are so many open..look at it this way you may even get upgraded to a suite!

When in the glacier area the ship will turn so all get a good view, so don't worry you will be fine wherever you get. When sailing the inside passage you can see land from all positions. Just enjoy the anticipation, it all goes so fast.

I haven't received any upsell offers. We gave up a port side VB toward the front of the ship for a gty of a VB or higher because the prices dropped. My TA suggested we take the gty because he said at the very least we'd get a cabin in a better location and ps get a suite. I'm not planning on a suite. I think that would be nothing short of a miracle! HAL wouldn't give us OBC, which is what I originally asked for...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What about your niece? Has she been given her cabin assignment yet?

We're 17 days out now!!

We have an aft balcony booked for our NCL Sun northbound cruise 5 Sept 2016.

Hopefully, we will have less wind on an aft balcony and that will reduce the chill of Sept.

We had an aft balcony on our recent Singapore to Dubai (late March/early April) and it was mostly too hot to use the balcony. I hope it is not too chilly on our Alaska cruise.

I don't know if the layout of your ship to Alaska is similar to HAL Westerdam, but I've been told the aft balcony blocks most of the wind and rain making it a bit more enjoyable. Also, the sound of the wake is supposed to be soothing.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I haven't received any upsell offers. We gave up a port side VB toward the front of the ship for a gty of a VB or higher because the prices dropped. My TA suggested we take the gty because he said at the very least we'd get a cabin in a better location and ps get a suite. I'm not planning on a suite. I think that would be nothing short of a miracle! HAL wouldn't give us OBC, which is what I originally asked for...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What about your niece? Has she been given her cabin assignment yet?

We're 17 days out now!!

Sorry, I need to correct myself...we gave up a VE on the port side toward the front of the ship.

We had a northbound RCI Radiance cruise to Alaska last May and had a corner aft balcony...It was amazing. We have had also had hump balconies on this ship/itinerary. Will be going again this September and feel lucky to have an aft again. All the locations have been wonderful..after all it's Alaska...don't worry about cabin location...enjoy !!!

Hey Ashland, we're aft too!! Love those aft balconies. Last time we got the prized 1100 corner aft cabin on Radiance. This time we're in 1602. 1100 was already gone by the time we booked.

I'm definitely, not the one to give any opinions about balconies ;) I book the cheap guarantees a lot of times and don't care where my cabin is.

I wouldn't want aft personally, since it's my priority to view forward to back.

I will mention- that for anyone, sailing Glacier Bay and ONLY want their viewing from their cabin- then they are better off with a port side cabin, so the commentary matches up for what they are seeing. :) Otherwise the side doesn't matter.

Budget Queen, we just got our cabin assignment. We went from VE on the 7th deck port side near the front of the ship to a VB, 4th deck port side just forward of the lifeboats. We have nothing blocking the view of the water, no steel railing, but plexiglas. We can't get any closer to the water! I think the gty turned out to be wonderful! I was worried for nothing. We won't be staying on the balcony, but it is nice that the commentary will match up on our side. :) We're doin the happy dance!

Hey Ashland, we're aft too!! Love those aft balconies. Last time we got the prized 1100 corner aft cabin on Radiance. This time we're in 1602. 1100 was already gone by the time we booked.

Love the #1100 a favorite..had it for a 12 night western med.

We are very late to this party and luckily got #9658...had to downsize a bit cause we're bringing the family ;)

So you're right above us...if someone yells "Cheryl" I'll look up...I'm one too :D

I completly agree - I never book a balcony on Alaska cruises because the best place to be is out on the open decks and I'd much rather spend the money on shore excursions. However, I have had aft balconies in the Caribbean and if it is absolutly necessary for you to have a balcony, then IMHO, that is what I would want. At least with an aft, you get to see what's happening on both sides of the ship. With a side balcony, there is the potential to miss so much.

I love, love love the aft cabins in Alaska...it is nice to be able to go up.....but most people come in July and August.....our rainy months....our rain is darn cold....give me a covered aft balcony so I can sit with a hot drink and watch Alaksa drift by my door....and that is what makes the world go round....all the different opinions on what floats your boat.....;).

I can't agree more about the balcony really doesn't matter that much because if you REALLY want to experience things, get out on the deck.

Why have a limited view when you can have the full 360?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

.....Why have a limited view when you can have the full 360?

Simply because having a covered balcony gives you the best of both.

You can still go out on the open public deck whenever you like.

You also have your own convenient, sheltered private balcony to enjoy when it is raining or windy or cold,

or when you want to step outside early in the morning or late at night without needing to get dressed first, or just want your own quiet, private outside space right there, away from the crowds.

On the balcony, everything you may need is conveniently close at hand - binoculars, sunglasses, sun block, tissues, reading glasses, extra SD cards, batteries, sweaters, jackets, hats, pillows, magazines, ship's schedule and itinerary map.

It is easy to add or remove clothing layers as needed.

Out on a public deck, we either need to remember to carry everything we may possibly need around with us, or else have to go running back to the cabin for something when we want it.

When wildlife or other major attractions are spotted, there is no jostling with other passengers to get a good viewing spot.

On the public decks or in a public lounge, everyone goes rushing over to the side where the attraction is spotted and unless you are fast, you may end up standing behind others who are crowded together shoulder to shoulder.

(Unless you are someone like Budget Queen, who hangs out on the open decks at times when there are not others around and doesn't care about scheduled dinner times.)

We sometimes like to order room service dinners from the main dining room menu delivered to enjoy out on our balcony.

Alas, they won't deliver the formal night lobster or steak dinner to us out on a public deck. :D

For Alaska, an aft balcony blocks the wind, which can be a big advantage.

It can be a disadvantage on a Caribbean cruise because you do not get the breeze back there and it can get stifling hot and muggy, especially when the sun is beating down on it.

Now I certainly am not claiming that everyone should book a balcony for Alaska, only describing what works for us and our reasons for doing it this way.

It comes down to a combination of personal preference and price point.

In fact, I advocate that others not book balconies because if all of you who usually cruise without a balcony suddenly start booking them, it will only drive the prices up and make them too expensive for us. ;)

Edited by varoo

@Varue...I totally agree with you.....i80 degrees is just fine....and since I live in Alaska, I get the view all the time, and get to see Denali when it is out on the way to work....:) My view is quite the best.....:) (I am prejudiced...)