Lobster on the Maasdam 15-day Antlantic Coast cruise

Lpw1

This is addressed to anyone has done this Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal cruise. We have read several comments regarding the wonderful opportunities to dine on lobster, mussels etc. in several of the New England and Atlantic Canada ports of call. But since this is lobster country, does the Maasdam also offer lobster in the Rotterdam dining room more than, say, the usual once per cruise. We love lobster, but if we're going to get it on board, why buy it on shore? Comments?

Once in a while we'll read Maasdam took on lobsters on a Canada/NE cruise but it is not a common thing. You can count on eating lobster in ports along the way by planning to eat your lunch off the ship. We always have lobster in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Portland (when that is included in the itinerary) and usually Charlottetown. Mussels in PEI are about the best. Plan on a plate of them for lunch. :)

You'll have lobster the last formal night in Rotterdam Dining Room.

Edited by sail7seas

My dad is a retired lobsterman. From Canada to Florida the lobster is known as Maine lobster. Typically on cruises it is Australian or Caribbean lobster. Maine lobster is typically larger and sweeter with a harder shell unless it is molting season. The lobster served onboard has a softer shell and comes from warm water but tends to be chewier and is frozen.

I can't answer to the number of times it is served, but I do know the quality is much better ashore. IMO you should try it to see if you notice the difference.

Edited by bermuda triangle

We had Maine Lobster on the Noordam last spring and the Nieuw Amsterdam last fall. It had been previously frozen, but it was whole lobsters. All in all, it was pretty decent. (We used to live in Maine, so we that which of we speak.)

On a New England cruise, you should be able to find fresh lobster in port without a problem. Personal recommendation: Hard shell, about 2 pounds is the way to go. Avoid chicks (1.25 pounds) and shredders.

I've only ever had lobster offered twice on the repositioning cruises (either from Fort Lauderdale or Montreal/Quebec). A couple of times it has been fresh lobster from Bar Harbor, I know because I came back from shore on the tenders with the boxes of lobster for that night's dinners. Usually it's frozen, and it has always been Maine lobster. I have only ever had spiny lobsters on Caribbean cruises.

I agree with the previous posters that your best bet for lobster is ashore. I've had lobster in Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, and Bar Harbor and I see no real difference in the quality of the lobsters, though there is a great variation in preparation methods.

Personal recommendation: Hard shell, about 2 pounds is the way to go. Avoid chicks (1.25 pounds) and shredders.

That should have been shedders, aka soft shell lobster. It got auto corrected and became shredders. I didn't catch it. Sorry.

Lobster season is currently delayed in PEI: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/lobster-fishing-opening-date-still-unclear-1.3051787

Hopefully, those of us who love lobster, and don't care for mussels so much, will be able to eat fresh lobster on Mother's Day when we dock in Charlottetown!

I don't care for mussels, so I always give them a miss in PEI, but definitely try the PEI potatoes! Fish & chips is a great option if you can't get lobster to go with the potatoes. :)

My dad is a retired lobsterman. From Canada to Florida the lobster is known as Maine lobster. Typically on cruises it is Australian or Caribbean lobster. Maine lobster is typically larger and sweeter with a harder shell unless it is molting season. The lobster served onboard has a softer shell and comes from warm water but tends to be chewier and is frozen.

I can't answer to the number of times it is served, but I do know the quality is much better ashore. IMO you should try it to see if you notice the difference.

The Caribbean lobsters are also known as Rock Lobsters. To me they are terrible and I never order them on ship. Growing up along the coast in Massachusetts, and having a husband who used to inspect them for the federal government, we would only eat North Atlantic or Maine lobsters.

Lobster season is currently delayed in PEI: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/lobster-fishing-opening-date-still-unclear-1.3051787

Hopefully, those of us who love lobster, and don't care for mussels so much, will be able to eat fresh lobster on Mother's Day when we dock in Charlottetown!

You'll have no problem finding wonderful lobster in Charlottetown. :)

My favorite lobster pound is about ten minutes from my house and I'm accustomed to watching them swim in the tank and picking out the ones I want. I never have the ship's lobster. Aside from all else, they drown it in butter and I don't care for that. I don't want to eat butter; I want to eat lobster.

I never have the ship's lobster. Aside from all else, they drown it in butter and I don't care for that. I don't want to eat butter; I want to eat lobster.

I've always had butter served on the side with lobster on the ship. In fact, I've never had whole lobster anywhere where the butter is not served on the side. But if you want to control the amount of butter used, just be sure to ask for it on the side.

The few times I had it on the ship, it was cooked in butter and butter was also served on the side. Most people want the butter but I don't. I have never had whole lobster served on the ships that I recall but have been served frozen lobster tails. I don't order it anymore.

I've made it steamed, broiled, boiled, baked stuffed, thermidor, lobster stew, lobster bisque, lobster diablo (wonderful), battered and deep fried, lobster salad........ endless way to cook it. Some methods use butter during the cooking and some do not.

Edited by sail7seas