Live from the Maasdam - May 1 – 16, 2015 The Atlantic Coast

Alberta Quilter

I saw you waving' date=' Alberta Quilter. I met you and your mom on a cruise a few years ago. The itinerary sounds great - I hope it's not too cold when you get farther north. Have a wonderful cruise![/quote']

Weather looks warm for at least Newport, RI next week. Don't know about farther north. I'll be boarding for the day in Newport to visit my daughter.:)

Weather looks warm for at least Newport, RI next week. Don't know about farther north. I'll be boarding for the day in Newport to visit my daughter.:)

Wouldn't happen to be Jordan, would she? Very nice young lady.

May 1, 2015 Embarkation Day

After a nice breakfast, we strolled around the Harbor Shops area. We didn't buy much. We did look about Total Wine but walked out without buying any wine. We spoke about it but decided that if we wanted wine that badly, we would take a chance on the wine packages onboard. For those of you who don't know, DM enjoys beer more than wine. And since we will have the Explore4 beverage cards, she's looking forward to having a beer with her dinner. We came back to finish packing up and checking out.

We stored the luggage with the bellman, and sat outside in the very nice pool area. DM finds being at sea level makes her very sleepy so she tried to nap in one of the loungers but there were some youngsters in the pool that prevented a full nap. We had lunch there at the hotel to kill some more time.

We took a cab to the port about 1 pm, even though embarkation was delayed. We hoped that, even though they said boarding would start at 3 pm, boarding would be early. It was not meant to be. DM's knees were bothering her so we opted for wheelchair assistance. We were #24. They boarded the 4 & 5 star and suite guests first. At 3:10, they started boarding on the lower level. They only seemed to have two or three wheelchairs at the beginning. It wasn't until about #20, that they got more, as many as five. Honestly, it was painfully slow. We were finally called about 4:10. DM was only pushed to the elevators onboard; her "pusher" didn't have the proper credentials to be allowed any farther. But that was okay in her case as she is mostly ambulatory. Well, it wasn't until we got in the elevator that we found out the rooms weren't ready and we would have to go to the lido. We finally found a table we could join and got some iced tea. About twenty minutes later, the announcement came that the rooms were ready.

We hurried to our room only to find the door wide open. Little was in our room. By that I mean, no bathrobes, no SBP cards, no laundry bag, no invitation for our E4 PG dinner, no pink envelope with our shorex tickets, etc. I thought, well, they've been a little busy today, it'll all come later. And it wasn't like we had much time for a drink, anyway. We still had to get to the muster drill.

Muster drill went fairly well. DM found a little table on which to sit, and we were on the shady side of the ship so I wasn't too hot. It maybe took twenty to twenty five minutes. Mostly they checked people off as they came so there was minimal calling of cabin numbers.

Early dining is at 5:30 according to the room card. I told DM to go to dinner while I would go to sailaway. When I looked overboard and counted 12 crates of luggage to be loaded, I figured that there was no way we were leaving at 6 pm. So, off I went to dinner. That's when I found out that tonight only, there was only Open Dining. It was also listed in the program but I hadn't read it that far at that point. I couldn't find DM in the crowd so I scooted off to the lido where it was lovely and quiet. I ate fairly quickly and went off to sailaway again. I was joined there by a few other people from our roll call! It was fun to wave to everyone at home and my CC friends. Thanks to those who took screen shots of our wave, and watched for, and waved to, us!

DM found me back in the cabin, where I finally registered for the Internet. Same old pricing, by the way. No unlimited internet for this cruise, darn it. I got the 250 minute package and promptly forgot to log out. Wish me luck with the librarian tomorrow when I try to get some minutes back!

The entertainment tonight was unusual for the first night of a cruise. It was a movie in the show lounge - the Grand Budapest Hotel. Well, by this time I was totally parched. Still no SBP cards. So I left the movie and inquired at the front desk. That's when I found out that they're doing away with the SBP cards. It's all on one's room card now. I, of course, had to carry on, in the tradition of POA1 and his Institute of Cheer, to find out about this new development. I immediately went up to the Ocean Bar and ordered a mojito. And a glass of water. I'm telling you that I took one, okay, two, for the team. I found out that it's not yet fleet wide. The Maasdam has had it in effect for about a month now - 4 cruises. This time I stopped at two (and two glasses of water). The bartender and I shared a laugh about me drinking 13 more drinks in three hours! So not going to happen! I meandered through the shops (purchased two half priced rum cakes) and then made my way to the cabin, unpacked and started writing this report.

We still don't have the robes, or the shorex tickets. We don't really need the robes but they do come in handy at times. (No, we don't wear them out in public! Just on the balcony, at times.). And we don't need the shorex tickets until a little later in the cruise.

Well, I'm off to bed to sleep off the effects of my research on your behalf. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. Good night!

Happy sailing to you and Mum, Clipper! Thrilled to be following along on your journey. Will be looking for you both at sailaway. Welcome to the east coast. Kick some butt in "Name that Tune" so that our tradition lives on;)!

Hey!! this blog from Clipper is like old times huh??? I was glad to hear about the "live from", I will be following along... am booked for Alaska again this June 15th! on Statendam.... wish some of you "old" posters were going too!

did you'all give up on the lottery??? still waiting to win!!:)

Well, by this time I was totally parched. Still no SBP cards. So I left the movie and inquired at the front desk. That's when I found out that they're doing away with the SBP cards. It's all on one's room card now. I, of course, had to carry on, in the tradition of POA1 and his Institute of Cheer, to find out about this new development. I immediately went up to the Ocean Bar and ordered a mojito. And a glass of water. I'm telling you that I took one, okay, two, for the team. I found out that it's not yet fleet wide. The Maasdam has had it in effect for about a month now - 4 cruises. This time I stopped at two (and two glasses of water). The bartender and I shared a laugh about me drinking 13 more drinks in three hours!

Thanks for your pioneering spirit! You're a regular Alexander MacKenzie* and it's very brave of you to fight on, through the tyranny of oppression, armed with a single Mojito. (Hope the mint was fresh, at least.) A lot of people are counting on you to sort out the details of the Signature Beverage Package. Even though HAL has had their best people** working on the problem, the SBP still has a few kinks.

*Alexander MacKenzie is Canada's Lewis and Clark, but only one guy.

http://www.canadashistory.ca/Magazine/Online-Extension/Articles/Greatest-Explorers

""It's entirely possible that these same people designed the Pontiac Aztec, although I can't prove it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a6357/bob-lutz-tells-the-inside-story-of-the-pontiac-aztek-debacle/

Good nite Alberta!

You sure are doing good with all the small mishaps.

I am sooo glad you enjoyed your two Mojitos, I would of taken the 3rd to my room!LOL

Hope you have smooth sailings and will enjoy reading all of your adventures!

I saw you waving and spotted the person with the green shamrock!

Denise:)

After a nice breakfast, we strolled around the Harbor Shops area. We didn't buy much. We did look about Total Wine but walked out without buying any wine. We spoke about it but decided that if we wanted wine that badly, we would take a chance on the wine packages onboard. For those of you who don't know, DM enjoys beer more than wine. And since we will have the Explore4 beverage cards, she's looking forward to having a beer with her dinner. We came back to finish packing up and checking out.

We stored the luggage with the bellman, and sat outside in the very nice pool area. DM finds being at sea level makes her very sleepy so she tried to nap in one of the loungers but there were some youngsters in the pool that prevented a full nap. We had lunch there at the hotel to kill some more time.

We took a cab to the port about 1 pm, even though embarkation was delayed. We hoped that, even though they said boarding would start at 3 pm, boarding would be early. It was not meant to be. DM's knees were bothering her so we opted for wheelchair assistance. We were #24. They boarded the 4 & 5 star and suite guests first. At 3:10, they started boarding on the lower level. They only seemed to have two or three wheelchairs at the beginning. It wasn't until about #20, that they got more, as many as five. Honestly, it was painfully slow. We were finally called about 4:10. DM was only pushed to the elevators onboard; her "pusher" didn't have the proper credentials to be allowed any farther. But that was okay in her case as she is mostly ambulatory. Well, it wasn't until we got in the elevator that we found out the rooms weren't ready and we would have to go to the lido. We finally found a table we could join and got some iced tea. About twenty minutes later, the announcement came that the rooms were ready.

We hurried to our room only to find the door wide open. Little was in our room. By that I mean, no bathrobes, no SBP cards, no laundry bag, no invitation for our E4 PG dinner, no pink envelope with our shorex tickets, etc. I thought, well, they've been a little busy today, it'll all come later. And it wasn't like we had much time for a drink, anyway. We still had to get to the muster drill.

Muster drill went fairly well. DM found a little table on which to sit, and we were on the shady side of the ship so I wasn't too hot. It maybe took twenty to twenty five minutes. Mostly they checked people off as they came so there was minimal calling of cabin numbers.

Early dining is at 5:30 according to the room card. I told DM to go to dinner while I would go to sailaway. When I looked overboard and counted 12 crates of luggage to be loaded, I figured that there was no way we were leaving at 6 pm. So, off I went to dinner. That's when I found out that tonight only, there was only Open Dining. It was also listed in the program but I hadn't read it that far at that point. I couldn't find DM in the crowd so I scooted off to the lido where it was lovely and quiet. I ate fairly quickly and went off to sailaway again. I was joined there by a few other people from our roll call! It was fun to wave to everyone at home and my CC friends. Thanks to those who took screen shots of our wave, and watched for, and waved to, us!

DM found me back in the cabin, where I finally registered for the Internet. Same old pricing, by the way. No unlimited internet for this cruise, darn it. I got the 250 minute package and promptly forgot to log out. Wish me luck with the librarian tomorrow when I try to get some minutes back!

The entertainment tonight was unusual for the first night of a cruise. It was a movie in the show lounge - the Grand Budapest Hotel. Well, by this time I was totally parched. Still no SBP cards. So I left the movie and inquired at the front desk. That's when I found out that they're doing away with the SBP cards. It's all on one's room card now. I, of course, had to carry on, in the tradition of POA1 and his Institute of Cheer, to find out about this new development. I immediately went up to the Ocean Bar and ordered a mojito. And a glass of water. I'm telling you that I took one, okay, two, for the team. I found out that it's not yet fleet wide. The Maasdam has had it in effect for about a month now - 4 cruises. This time I stopped at two (and two glasses of water). The bartender and I shared a laugh about me drinking 13 more drinks in three hours! So not going to happen! I meandered through the shops (purchased two half priced rum cakes) and then made my way to the cabin, unpacked and started writing this report.

We still don't have the robes, or the shorex tickets. We don't really need the robes but they do come in handy at times. (No, we don't wear them out in public! Just on the balcony, at times.). And we don't need the shorex tickets until a little later in the cruise.

Well, I'm off to bed to sleep off the effects of my research on your behalf. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. Good night!

Clipper, thanks for doing this live report, Now that the WC is over, some of us have withdrawals... thanks for helping out, and giving us something to read for the next week or so..... btw, how long is this cruise?.... Have a wonderful time!!

Clipper, thanks for doing this live report, Now that the WC is over, some of us have withdrawals... thanks for helping out, and giving us something to read for the next week or so..... btw, how long is this cruise?.... Have a wonderful time!!

15 days, Linda -- (wish I was there!)

Sounds like a shaky start. I hope things will get smoother. Thx for the update.

Yes, it was not a great start to the cruise. I haven't even described the half of it. Some people were quite incensed at the delay to board and "this is their last cruise with HAL".:eek: Frankly, I didn't understand that. We were checked in, they weren't going to leave without us! Hopefully, they were just tired. I only wish our rooms had been ready but, with our delay shoreside, we only had a twenty minute wait for our room.

Thanks for your pioneering spirit! You're a regular Alexander MacKenzie* and it's very brave of you to fight on, through the tyranny of oppression, armed with a single Mojito. (Hope the mint was fresh, at least.) A lot of people are counting on you to sort out the details of the Signature Beverage Package. Even though HAL has had their best people** working on the problem, the SBP still has a few kinks.

*Alexander MacKenzie is Canada's Lewis and Clark, but only one guy.

http://www.canadashistory.ca/Magazine/Online-Extension/Articles/Greatest-Explorers

""It's entirely possible that these same people designed the Pontiac Aztec, although I can't prove it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a6357/bob-lutz-tells-the-inside-story-of-the-pontiac-aztek-debacle/

Coming from you, that's high praise, indeed. I will do my best to live up to the standards of the Institute of Cheer. I just have to pace myself, and not suck back two mojitos, even with two glasses of water, in half an hour!!!

We also had David Thompson who could be considered similar to Lewis & Clark. He mapped a lot of Western Canada!

Good nite Alberta!

You sure are doing good with all the small mishaps.

I am sooo glad you enjoyed your two Mojitos, I would of taken the 3rd to my room!LOL

Hope you have smooth sailings and will enjoy reading all of your adventures!

I saw you waving and spotted the person with the green shamrock!

Believe me when I say that there was no going for a third!:o. I recall not being able to walk straight but my story is that we were experiencing some "motion of the ocean"!:D

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Believe me when I say that there was no going for a third!:o. I recall not being able to walk straight but my story is that we were experiencing some "motion of the ocean"!:D

Hey, I am with you in spirt!!

Your right, will stick with motion of the ocean! LOL

Do a lot of relaxing and PS, I hope you got your robes?

so that was YOU waving the big shamrock? Or were you the lady in the pink shirt? Wish I were on the Maasdam with you! We had a 'deep cleaning' before our cruise on the Zuiderdam out of Pt Everglades a few years ago and didn't board until 1am! Nothing in our stateroom except a pile of sheets to be put on the bed and that sticky spray stuff all over everything that had to be wiped down. But if that's what kept us healthy on a 10 days cruise, so be it. Will be following along with you. DH just told me that would be an awesome cruise to do someday. Wish I knew that a few months ago. LOL!:D

Denise: that photo of your pup is SOOOO cute!!!!!

Edited by Diver2014

Your day 1 was a very unusual day.

Is the ship still in Code Red?

May 2, 2015. At sea, Enroute to Charleston

While DM is having her morning nap (it will take her some time to get adjusted to the lower altitude, not to mention the time change), I thought I would do some notes on the activities and personnel around here.

First, the formal nights are tonight, Bar Harbor day, and Saguenay day. Yes, only three on a fifteen day cruise.

For entertainment, we have Kevin playing guitar in the Crow's Nest, the Neptunes in the Ocean Bar (they were scheduled to be playing while I was there last night but the only people in the bar were the staff and myself; I don't know where the Neptunes were), Adagio in the Explorer's Lounge, Jamm the Piano Man in Mix, Show Host Kevin (DJ), and, Lynn and the Halcats. I thought they did away with the Halcats and the singer, but not on the Maasdam. I heard Them playing when I was on the Sports Deck for sailaway, they were by the Lido pool. They sounded okay to me but distance could have been a factor. Take that comment whichever way you want.

In the library, we have Cindy, you already know that the host of the CAC is Jordan, the cruise director is a woman by the name of Jude, the Captain is Ane Jan Smit. We've already seen our dining steward from last year's Alaska cruise, Dawa. We ran into him at breakfast this morning in the MDR. He remembered us, too.

Well, the first (to us) plumbing issue was reported this morning. Two of our tablemates told us that their toilet came off the wall early this morning! Their stateroom flooded. Understandably, they're not happy. Hopefully, things will be rectified very soon, although, I fear, HAL may have lost future business with them. Let's hope that there is another stateroom that is available. No, I don't know what category they booked or even which deck they're on. I do, however, see a fan in our hallway on Deck 9.

We had our meet and greet this morning. DaveOKC organized it and did a great job. Jude, the CD, came by first and introduced herself. She said she knew all about us! The Hotel Director also stopped in; I'm sorry, I didn't catch his name. I'll get it later. It was really nice putting faces to CC handles.

After that, I went down to the CAC for the cooking demo which was very entertaining. Jordan told us that she's only been the CAC host for two weeks. She was very good, Mom! She's looking forward to going home to Rhode Island in a few days. The demo ran on a little long, I left after an hour and they still had to complete two of the three dishes.

I stopped in at the shorex desk to inquire about our tickets. They reprinted them for me. I'm not sure if they went to the original cabin, or not. She did have something that showed our original cabin number, before the upgrade. So, it was a good thing I followed up on it.

We played trivia with two people from our roll call. We got all 15 questions right but got the bonus wrong! Still a very respectable showing. I think a couple of groups got everything correct. The prizes were Canada/NE pins. There was no tie breaker, all winners got pins.

This afternoon was the Royal Dutch High Tea. Because we're in Code Red, everything was served to us. It's too bad they decided to do this tea so early in the cruise, while we're still in Code Red, and on a formal night to boot. There were three types of scones, plain, chocolate and raisin. The sandwiches were served on bun halves rather than small bagel halves; not sure why. And then there were the sweets. It was funny, we were served the sweets first, then the sandwiches, and the scones, jam and whipping cream last. No biggie, life is short so eat dessert first!

We checked about our E4 PG dinner. For that we got to make our own reservation, within what was still available. I also confessed to Cindy, the librarian, about not logging off last night. She reinstated 15 minutes of my time. We also had a quick chat with the FCC (Joanne) onboard about various things. She said that next year, the Veendam will be doing this repo cruise, and other than four Bermuda runs, she'll take over the Canada/NE itineraries currently done by the Maasdam - Boston/Montreal. There will be no turnaround in Quebec City other than the Zuiderdam itineraries in the fall of next year.

DM and I both took the time to enjoy our balcony. It's breezy but quite nice.

I was a little concerned about getting ready for tonight's formal night. I always use the provided hair dryer which typically has a European plug. The problem was that there was no European outlet. I was quite surprised that we only had one North American outlet at the desk. I ended up calling Guest Services. I guess they get the question a lot. Who would have thought to look under the desk for the European outlet?! I had no idea it was there! I've taken lots of pix for the website that can't be named.

Dinner was very good. Most of us had the shrimp cocktail, three had salad. For the entree, two had beef Wellington, two had rack of lamb, one quail and the last had a large bowl of soup. Desserts were well received, the chocolate soufflé was pronounced as incredible by the chocoholics at the table.

The evening entertainment was Paul Pappas, a pianist. He. Was quite entertaining, playing music from Beethoven to John Legend. He played a medley of TV theme songs; we had to guess the names of the shows. Afterwards, DM went "home" while I joined some roll call members in Name That Tune in the Crows Nest. We got trounced.

Some changes since our last cruise - the elevator voice now says, in a very British accent, "the lift is going up" or down as the case may be. And I just filled out our room service breakfast order - bacon is now served as two strips. It used to be three. Plan accordingly, if you like bacon. Oh, and our eggs Benny, this morning, in the MDR, didn't have back bacon. (Yes, back bacon. Canadians do not refer to it as Canadian bacon!) It was some thin little piece of deli meat. Very thin!

Tomorrow, we're in Charleston. First place to cross off on the bucket list!

so that was YOU waving the big shamrock? Or were you the lady in the pink shirt? Wish I were on the Maasdam with you! We had a 'deep cleaning' before our cruise on the Zuiderdam out of Pt Everglades a few years ago and didn't board until 1am! Nothing in our stateroom except a pile of sheets to be put on the bed and that sticky spray stuff all over everything that had to be wiped down. But if that's what kept us healthy on a 10 days cruise, so be it. Will be following along with you. DH just told me that would be an awesome cruise to do someday. Wish I knew that a few months ago. LOL!:D

I was the lady in pink. Lddam was the fellow waving the shamrock. I think he said it was for his son in law.

Diver 2014!!!

That is my very special GRAND PUPPY!!

We love her soooo much.

On our last cruise in March we felt PAISLEY could be a great greeter on HAL and we could get free room and board! LOL

Thank you!

So surprised by the comment!

I appreciate it!

Denise :)