Room Service Charge Now Fleetwide, New Restaurant Pricing Onboard Norwegian Cruise LI

LauraS

Yes, what about the $5 Pizza Anywhere? Is it still available? If you order one in your room do you pay $5 for the pizza plus 18%, or is it now complimentry again;), but you pay the $7.95 convenience fee?

Also, I assume the after 1:00am fee of 2.95 or 3.95 is no more and you just pay the $7.95. Or do they still penalize you for ordering in the wee hours and you pay the 2.95 on top of the 7.95?

Where is the info posted on the website?

Wow... talk about mind blowing! I would hope the $7.95 stops the late night hours penalty because doing that plus the convenience fee. I'm thinking people are going to get their mini-bars removed and start putting food in there from the buffet for late night snacking. :eek:

Although this is not a bad idea... hmm... I love it when I think on Fridays! :D

Wow... talk about mind blowing! I would hope the $7.95 stops the late night hours penalty because doing that plus the convenience fee. I'm thinking people are going to get their mini-bars removed and start putting food in there from the buffet for late night snacking. :eek:

Although this is not a bad idea... hmm... I love it when I think on Fridays! :D

If only the darn plates would FIT in the mini-bar!

Harriet

Yes, what about the $5 Pizza Anywhere? Is it still available? If you order one in your room do you pay $5 for the pizza plus 18%, or is it now complimentry again;), but you pay the $7.95 convenience fee?

Also, I assume the after 1:00am fee of 2.95 or 3.95 is no more and you just pay the $7.95. Or do they still penalize you for ordering in the wee hours and you pay the 2.95 on top of the 7.95?

Where is the info posted on the website?

I have not been able to find *anything* on the NCL website about dining prices being reduced (however, as of an hour ago when you book a specialty restaurant it still charges you the old price plus the 18% gratuity) nor can I find anything on the NCL site about this new room service menu/info.

Only CruiseCritic has the information.

Harriet

Why shouldn't they? It's obvious that the charge was instituted to help Del Rio get his $4 or $5 more from each passenger per day. The staff that delivers room service is covered by the daily service charge and they also have the automatic 18% now on for charge items on the RS menu (which leads me to conclude that NCL does keep all of the RS service charge). NCL is incurring no more expenses with RS then they ever have so this $7.95 is a literal gold mine for them as it's 100% profit. I won't be using room service because I'm not going to wonder about what is free and what incurs a charge. I'll go to the buffet and bring it back to the room unless of course they put the kibosh on that like they did to go orders from the other dining venues.

Sparks1093, think you and I are the only few that saw Del Rio's interview about his goal on getting $4 or $5 more per person per day and that he was not joking. :D

He has accomplished his goal and don't think this is his last one. :D

If only the darn plates would FIT in the mini-bar!

Harriet

+1 for a good laugh, thanks, Harriet.

This is the size of the mini-bar cooler box (not exactly a refrigerator - still has a temperature adjustment knob :D ) and not a rumor for dispute. Here's PROOF that those "regular" ship sized plates won't fit - this was from the Breakaway (same as Getaway ... someone who sailed can "certified" this, ditto for the Epic) The Jewel/Dawn class ships is slightly larger/bigger & taller.

IMG20150322_2054%20%281024x768%29.jpg

That's the plate for 4 pc. of chocolate-covered strawberries for Platinum member's welcome abroad, it fitted nicely into the small paper cup from O'Sheehans as we like to eat it chilled.

+1 for a good laugh, thanks, Harriet.

This is the size of the mini-bar cooler box (not exactly a refrigerator - still has a temperature adjustment knob :D ) and not a rumor for dispute. Here's PROOF that those "regular" ship sized plates won't fit - this was from the Breakaway (same as Getaway ... someone who sailed can "certified" this, ditto for the Epic) The Jewel/Dawn class ships is slightly larger/bigger & taller.

IMG20150322_2054%20%281024x768%29.jpg

That's the plate for 4 pc. of chocolate-covered strawberries for Platinum member's welcome abroad, it fitted nicely into the small paper cup from O'Sheehans as we like to eat it chilled.

THIS is why I bring plastic bags and do stock up on water "glasses" from the buffet(for lemons and smalls treats-like strawberries, etc).

Edited by jaja

I read that to be one and the same thing:confused:. NCL really needs to hire a good copy editor and proficient writer.

Why need to hire a good copy editor and proficient writer since this will hurt their bottom line? :D

When you have lots of first hand passengers and cc to do the communication for FREE on changes and etc. :D

I read that to be one and the same thing:confused:. NCL really needs to hire a good copy editor and proficient writer.

Why need to hire a good copy editor and proficient writer since this will hurt their bottom line? :D

When you have lots of first hand passengers and cc to do the communication for FREE on changes and etc. :D

Non-complimentary Beverages

This would be anything that you have to pay for....water, soda, beer, wine, mixed drinks, etc.

So, the way I see this...If one orders the 'new breakfast items, sandwiches, dinners, etc. that would incur the $7.95 fee....but not the 18% gratuity.

However.....IF I order soup, salad, and a tuna sandwich with a glass of soda.....does that mean I only pay 18% for the cost of the soda?

Harriet

I would think you'd pay $7.95 for the food and would pay the cost of the soda plus 18% on the soda. No loopholes there.

Edited by NMLady

THIS is why I bring plastic bags and do stock up on water "glasses" from the buffet(for lemons and smalls treats-like strawberries, etc).

jaja, please keep this as quiet as possible. This maybe the next 'service charge' $4.95 that we have to pay for taking plates, water glasses, and etc. from the buffet so call "for our convenience" of course. :rolleyes::D

Sparks1093, think you and I are the only few that saw Del Rio's interview about his goal on getting $4 or $5 more per person per day and that he was not joking. :D

Oh, WAAAAYYYY more than $4 or $5.00 per person!

Harriet

So let me get this straight. I have read this info re what "attracts" a Room Service 18% fee and what "attracts" a $7.95 convenience fee a dozen times and maybe I have not had enough coffee yet.

Complimentry Contenental Breakfast: no per item cost/exempt from 7.95 fee

Drinks from the Bar or Special Occassion Platters: per item cost/Exempt from 7.95 fee but 18% added

Any other item, like hot dogs, sandwiches: 7.95 fee

So if you order some high $$ items, like a few drinks and a couple platters, they will waive the $7.95 fee and charge the 18% instead.

So if I order sandwiches for lunch on the balcony, I would pay the $7.95 fee. But if I order 2 beers to go with it, the $7.95 is waived and I only pay the 18% on the beers? Because it says that orders which include non complimentry drinks are exempt from the $7.95 Convenience Fee.

If my thinking is correct, when you order that cooked to order breakfast which would normally incur a 7.95 fee, just order a Bloody Mary to with it and you pay the 18% instead. It seems an easy way of getting around paying the Convenience Fee. Might as well have something to show for it.;)

OK, tell me I'm crazy.

You won't have me calling you crazy. I read it a few times myself and that is exactly what I came up with. Is it a loop hole or are we just reading it wrong?

Rochelle

Seeing as NCL regularly checks in on these post's, after this is read, I'm sure they'll find a way to block that "loop hole". LOL

Personally, I could care less what they charge for room service. I don't plan on using room service so it's no sweat off of my ***. If I did, I would just walk up to the buffet, help myself and bring it back.

The more pax that use it, the more justification ncl has to keep it. What if every person who cruises with NCL actually complains to guest relations, head office, send emails to the ceo ? What do you think would happen ? Complaining here will do squat other than giving the "whiners" a venue to read their own posts and feel like they've done something positive.

What a joke ! If you're that upset about the changes, then tell someone who can/will do something about it. It won't get done here that's for sure. The old saying of " Money Talks & B.S. Walks" applies here. Don't like the changes ? then go elsewhere and tell head office that you are and why....but DO IT ! Don't SAY IT. Take your cruising $'s somewhere else and watch the changes happen.

But then again this is JMHO , do as you will. Just stop the Whining and move on.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Seeing as NCL regularly checks in on these post's, after this is read, I'm sure they'll find a way to block that "loop hole". LOL

Personally, I could care less what they charge for room service. I don't plan on using room service so it's no sweat off of my ***. If I did, I would just walk up to the buffet, help myself and bring it back.

The more pax that use it, the more justification ncl has to keep it. What if every person who cruises with NCL actually complains to guest relations, head office, send emails to the ceo ? What do you think would happen ? Complaining here will do squat other than giving the "whiners" a venue to read their own posts and feel like they've done something positive.

What a joke ! If you're that upset about the changes, then tell someone who can/will do something about it. It won't get done here that's for sure. The old saying of " Money Talks & B.S. Walks" applies here. Don't like the changes ? then go elsewhere and tell head office that you are and why....but DO IT ! Don't SAY IT. Take your cruising $'s somewhere else and watch the changes happen.

But then again this is JMHO , do as you will. Just stop the Whining and move on.

cheers...the Ump...:D

This change was implemented one week from my cruise date. If I cancel, I'd forfeit my fare. I'm sure Norwegian would love that. They'd have all my money without lifting a finger.

I've complained here, which I only consider venting and persuading. We should persuade people to not just suck up and put up with this. If this policy flies, then the sky is the limit..

Realistically, NCL could care less, but I'm going to be complaining at the front desk on the cruise. Likely I'll also call beforehand, but they don't care about passengers who can't cancel. They know they've lost many of us and it's a risk they were apparently happy to take.

I've also written a message to my very popular local media consumer reporter. If he doesn't respond right away, I'll write him again. My cruise sails out of my very cruise-busy local port. Basically, my bend is to warn people. Cruise lines can do this. This is not about room service. It's about the fact that when you sign on the bottom line and pay your fare, you lose your rights. You don't even have the right to expect the terms of the fare when you paid it. And everyone should be forewarned that cruise lines will definitely use this fact to hurt you.

I've also contacted my travel agent. TA could care less, because they're a big box member store that just wants more money.

I'll contact my attorney general's office.

I posted a review on Yelp...if that helps at all.

I'll contact the better business bureau.

Nothing can be done for me. My ship sails in a week. I'd love to walk and take my money with me. I'd maybe shut my mouth if I did. But my goal is to prevent others from being hurt. Cruise lines had to implement some semblance of a bill of rights in response to consumer complaints about things like ships getting stranded in the middle of the ocean with no toilet facilities....People should be able to sign up for a cruise and be grandfathered in to policies in place when their cancellation window ended, or changes to charges should generate a cancellation window. Why would anyone dispute the fairness of that? But NCL hasn't done this. In fact, they haven't made the change clear even on their own web site, so that new cruisers know that what they thought they were buying yesterday, they aren't buying today.

Is defending NCL more important than consumer rights? I would say no.

The thread that quoted the interview had hundreds of responses and thousands of views, it couldn't just be us.:D

I didn't see the interview but it was posted all over the internet, therefore I read it. Basically, if I remember correctly......he wanted to get about $50.00 per person more per cruise. Hmmm, was that for a 7 day cruise or all cruises?

I think he accomplished his goal between all the add-on things as well as a few take-away things.

Harriet

So as far as room service, anything which "attracts" a fee will have the 18% applied is the way I am reading it. And I am guessing, no $7.95 fee when they charge the18% instead.

Actually, I think it is both. A "for charge" item triggers both the room service charge and the 18% gratuity. Here are some scenarios and how I think they will work:

1. It is between 6 AM and 10 AM and you order the complementary items. They are free, and there is no $7.95 service charge.

2. It is between 6 AM and 10 AM and you order complimentary items PLUS a bloody Mary that costs $8.95. You pay the $7.95 room service fee (because you did not order just complementary items) plus the $8.95 for the bloody Mary, + 18% on that $8.95.

3. It is noon, and you order complementary items. You pay the $7.95 room service fee, but because you don't have any charged items on the bill, no 18% gratuity.

4. It is noon and you order complementary items, plus a hot item that is a $12 charge item. You pay the $7.95 room service fee plus 18% on the $12.

Actually, I think it is both. A "for charge" item triggers both the room service charge and the 18% gratuity. Here are some scenarios and how I think they will work:

1. It is between 6 AM and 10 AM and you order the complementary items. They are free, and there is no $7.95 service charge.

2. It is between 6 AM and 10 AM and you order complimentary items PLUS a bloody Mary that costs $8.95. You pay the $7.95 room service fee (because you did not order just complementary items) plus the $8.95 for the bloody Mary, + 18% on that $8.95.

3. It is noon, and you order complementary items. You pay the $7.95 room service fee, but because you don't have any charged items on the bill, no 18% gratuity.

4. It is noon and you order complementary items, plus a hot item that is a $12 charge item. You pay the $7.95 room service fee plus 18% on the $12.

I believe items 2 & 4 are incorrect. I believe there is no gratuity for food items on the room service menu whether they be complimentary or extra charge. If you ordered a for charge beverage then there would be a 18% gratuity added for that item only.

Here's how I see it:

1. Correct. Per the announcement, Complimentry Contenental Breakfast is EXEMPT from the Room Service Fee.

2. I disagree here. The announcement stated that any order which includes a non complimentry beverage ( those which would have a fee ), would be EXEMPT from the Room Service Fee. Your food items are free. You pay for the drink plus the 18% auto grat.

3. This I agree with. if you order a complimentry lunch item, $7.95, but no 18%. And I think if you order a beer to go with, you would pay for the beer plus 18%, but no service charge.

4. I disagree here. The only "fee" items on the menu are platters I believe. The normal lunch items have no fee, but you pay the 7.95 service charge. Now if you ordered a shrimp platter, according to the announcement, orders that include special occassion platters are EXEMPT from $7.95 convenience fee. Or again, if you order a bar drink along with your free lunch, you pay for the drink and the 18%.

NCL really ought to clarify this. I can see them charging $7.95 delivery for a sandwich and a beer plus 18% on the cost of the beer, but I hope it is either or.

The Roll Out Schedule was just posted elsewhere on the board for each ship. All dates between 5-1 and 5-11.

The Pizza question has been answered. "The Pizza 24/7 Program will no longer be offered anywhere...". So only offered through room service for $7.95. No more 10:00 pm pizza delivered to the bar.

Edited by punkincc

Is it too much to ask for NCL to put out a fee chart adequately explaining each fee one will incur when ordering room service? :eek:

Sorry to say...yes...it is too much to ask of them:rolleyes::(

Frank DelRio has a VERY checkered history in the Cruise Industry. After leaving CCL in the 90's to found Renaissance Cruises, he enacted VERY predatory practices with Travel Agencies to convince consumers to book direct with Renaissance. ALL bookings had to have client Phone number and street address added on the booking w/ Renaissance. They then had a dedicated team that would call BOOKED clients and make them special offers, with lower prices and promos, if they "moved" their booking from the Travel agency. Renaissance had deals and promos that could ONLY be booked direct and Travel Agents could not book their clients at those prices. He was vehemently Anti-Travel agent. It was only when Travel Agencies put a hard stop-sell on Renaissance that it began to hurt their bottom line. The agency I then worked for would under NO circumstances discuss or book Renaissance cruises with clients. Eventually his undercutting of the Travel Agents came back to bite him in the you know where and was one of many reasons why Renaissance liquidated........

Next chapter was his "Re-Awakening" regarding Travel Agents when he founded Oceania from the ashes of Renaissance. Oceania, while not overtly anti-agent, has one of the most consistent direct consumer marketing campaigns and has a dispropotionaly high percentage of direct bookings vs other cruise lines.

Frank DelRio practically created the "Personal Cruise Consultant" concept that all cruise lines now use. It started quietly during his tenure at CCL, and went gangbusters at Renaissance. Now all the cruise lines have them, and they are VERY aggressive at seeking out direct consumer bookings.

All that said, I see his current moves at NCL as a way to get more money from consumers direct rather than raising base fares (which would require paying a percentage of as a commission to Travel Agents). These are fare hikes pure and simple, but done in a way that allows them to offshore the revenue to avoid taxes and paying commissions.

I do not, have never, and will never Trust Frank DelRio.

So next question ... would you tip on top of that charge?

The only people likely to get tips from me onboard are the beverage servers in the casino. I won't be paying for those drinks so not paying a service charge. I don't order alcohol, they'll likely just be bringing me bottles of Aquafina or juice as I'll have the soda package and can have more than my fair share of soda elsewhere on the ship.

I will not tip over and above if we use room service. It was complimentary and now has a service charge. If the runner doesn't get a cut of that fee they need a better negotiating process and that isn't my problem to solve.

Edited by Nola26