Ladies Dressy Shorts - Yay or Nay?

Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?

I just bought this outfit and I was considering bringing it on my upcoming cruise to wear to dinner one of the non-formal nights (I have 2 cocktail dresses for those nights).

What are your thoughts on something like this for a non-formal night?

new_85_653_6679_026_08?cache=on&wid=640&fmt=jpeg&qlt=70,1&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,5,0&fit=fit,1

I agree - just because the model is wearing that outfit with heels doesn't mean it's ok for dinner. I think those shorts are too short (and I would say the same if it were a skirt:p) and the style (if not the fabric) is old-school athletic shorts.

ETA - there are two questions (based on post above me) 1) would this look be allowed in the dining room for dinner; and 2) is it appropriate for dinner in the MDR.

I can't say for 1, but vote no for 2.

Edited by Hoyaheel

I think that it depends on a number of factors (cruise line, destination). It also could depend on which day of the cruise you intend to wear it (usually the first and last night of the cruise are the most informal). As bad as it may sound to some, I also think it depends on your age and how you wear the outfit. Personally, if I were cruising in a warm weather destination (Caribbean, Bahamas, etc) on a non luxury cruise line (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, etc) and given my age (early 20's)....I would dress this outfit up with nice heels, jewelry, handbag, and makeup and feel comfortable wearing it into the dining room. I have seen people on more than one occasion on a Carnival cruise wearing a swimsuit cover up in the MDR. I would probably bring a cardigan or wrap because it tends to be freezing. Obviously I think that is wildly inappropriate, but my point is that this is a very trendy, current, well put together outfit and if worn well I think it would be absolutely fine in the dining room. Plus, super cute outfit for daytime too which makes it practical for packing! :)

Edited by kati89
omission

In my opinion, that is not a dressy outfit. The shorts remind me

of "hot pants" in the old days......(guess I am getting old) but those

are "short shorts" in my opinion and wearing those high heeled sandals

don't make the outfit dressy to me.

Hi, I voted yes for allowing dressy shorts... (depending on the ship) here in my office, women will wear pantsuits that have shorts instead of slacks on some days, & also, I've seen outfits with shorts that would definitely count as dressy club type wear.

On the other hand, the outfit pictured is definitely not dressy by any stretch of imagination IMO. :) Synthetic fabric, & too short shorts worn with a basic tank top just don't belong in the MDR

this to me would be ok on a casual night in the MDR:

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shorts/ingoodcompany/PRDOVR~B8563/B8563.jsp

Hi, I voted yes for allowing dressy shorts... (depending on the ship) here in my office, women will wear pantsuits that have shorts instead of slacks on some days, & also, I've seen outfits with shorts that would definitely count as dressy club type wear.

On the other hand, the outfit pictured is definitely not dressy by any stretch of imagination IMO. :) Synthetic fabric, & too short shorts worn with a basic tank top just don't belong in the MDR

this to me would be ok on a casual night in the MDR:

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shorts/ingoodcompany/PRDOVR~B8563/B8563.jsp

Did you see the price of those shorts?:eek:.......it is just not in my DNA

to pay 175.00 for shorts:eek:.......and I wouldn't wear them to dinner

anyway...then again, I don't bring shorts for dinner;)

Did you see the price of those shorts?:eek:.......it is just not in my DNA

to pay 175.00 for shorts:eek:.......and I wouldn't wear them to dinner

anyway...then again, I don't bring shorts for dinner;)

Hi Lois, no, I wouldn't pay that either :)

I was just trying to find an example of what might be acceptable on a casual night on some lines, to me, those were more dressy for a dining room than the ones that were originally pictured... the original ones I would think are more of something you'd wear during the day around the pool or on a beach day. :)

Hi Lois, no, I wouldn't pay that either :)

I was just trying to find an example of what might be acceptable on a casual night on some lines, to me, those were more dressy for a dining room than the ones that were originally pictured... the original ones I would think are more of something you'd wear during the day around the pool or on a beach day. :)

LOL...ok....gotcha;).......

I appreciate your opinions ladies!!! Thanks!

Well at least those of you who were able to give feedback without being snarky to other posters. I don't know why it's so hard to give opinions without being nice to one another.

I will probably wear the shorts on board the first day with a short sleeve blouse.

As for the suggestions for Capris, they really aren't my style but I do appreciate your suggestions.

I appreciate your opinions ladies!!! Thanks!

Well at least those of you who were able to give feedback without being snarky to other posters. I don't know why it's so hard to give opinions without being nice to one another.

I will probably wear the shorts on board the first day with a short sleeve blouse.

As for the suggestions for Capris, they really aren't my style but I do appreciate your suggestions.

I 100 percent agree with you about the comments!