Ladies Dressy Shorts - Yay or Nay?

Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Dressy Shorts should be allowed in the MDR for ladies?

Wow, judge much? :rolleyes

This look is very on trend. Long shorts look like something my grandmother would wear. If you have long toned legs like the model and dress this up with a blazer, bag and shoes then it looks nothing like a hooker. Short shorts length alone does not equate hooker nor does it long short equate to stylish.

Shorts and high heels should be against the law :p They are not "on trend" anywhere except in magazines.

Shorts and high heels should be against the law :p They are not "on trend" anywhere except in magazines.

Well maybe down in Melbourne, FL where you are mostly surrounded by tourist in black socks with sandals it isn't on trend, but if you venture out to any cosmopolitan city you will find this to be a very stylish look. Check out South Beach Miami, New York, London, Los Angeles and you will find this look at many refined dining establishments.

When the purse is bigger than the shorts, there's a problem. I am not sure I'd go so far as "hooker wear," but as far as being office-appropriate attire, no. She's a hot mess, as the kids say. ;)

shorts-rachel-zoe.jpg

Personally, if you've got the legs for it, I think this outfit is great for the MDR, with a smaller evening bag and even without the jacket. No different than a short skirt, just balance the bottom with a more conservative top. Now can I guarantee that all MDRs on all ships will be ok with it? No. I'll be wearing outfits like this on NCL but I'm still usually too chicken to try it on Celebrity. On non-tropical cruises I like to wear shorts with tights and pumps. As to the picture posted by the OP, my opinion is that those shorts are not what I would call dressy shorts, like these or many others you can find in stores these days.

Where do you live? And how old are you? No offense intended, but I think that plays a role.

I live in Florida and although I'm in my 50s, my daughters are in there 20s and they agree that shorts and heels are NOT a good look, with the possible exception of wedges with shorts a bit longer.

Sorry, don't care for the look and think it looks hookerish :cool:

Well maybe down in Melbourne, FL where you are mostly surrounded by tourist in black socks with sandals it isn't on trend, but if you venture out to any cosmopolitan city you will find this to be a very stylish look. Check out South Beach Miami, New York, London, Los Angeles and you will find this look at many refined dining establishments.

I was just in Rome and Florence, two pretty high-end cities of the world. Saw no women in shorts with 2" inseams and platform stilettos… A website, dresslikeaparisian (Dress like a Paresian), says to not wear high heels with too short a short, as it "looks tacky." Paris is a pretty cosmopolitain city, is it not?

Now, if the photo had that woman in a wedge rather than that stiletto, it would have been better, but still a little too short for cruisers in the MDR (IMHO). Ripped, distressed jeans are still in major style, but not for wearing in the MDR. Same thing...

It looks the opinions are going to differ forever....for the original poster,

I guess you can see many gals would never wear them while other

gals would be fine with them.

As for being stylish in "some cities".....I think the original poster was

asking about wearing them to dinner on a cruiseship.

To the original poster, did you decide what you are going to do?

I would not wear these in the MDR and I do not consider them dressy. However, that being said I saw these shorts when I was shopping with my daughter yesterday. This style is very much "in trend" in mainstream stores catering to younger people...they are also considered to be and are advertised as dressy shorts. The outfit is cute for those who can fit into them but generally not considered appropriate for the MDR.

BTW I was on Via Condotti in Rome last week and the shops aimed at the younger set carried the same style in shorts.

To the original poster: enjoy your cute outfit and have fun on your cruise regardless of what you decide to wear to dinner.

Edited by Cancun01

I was just in Rome and Florence, two pretty high-end cities of the world. Saw no women in shorts with 2" inseams and platform stilettos… A website, dresslikeaparisian (Dress like a Paresian), says to not wear high heels with too short a short, as it "looks tacky." Paris is a pretty cosmopolitain city, is it not?

Now, if the photo had that woman in a wedge rather than that stiletto, it would have been better, but still a little too short for cruisers in the MDR (IMHO). Ripped, distressed jeans are still in major style, but not for wearing in the MDR. Same thing...

Ever heard of false conclusions? Your data points are WAYYY too small, just because you were on vacation during one week and in that one week, in the restaurants you visited saw no one in trendy shorts doesn't mean it isn't true. It is like saying, I went to LA and not once did I bump into a celebrity, hence no celebrities live in LA

I personally wouldn't wear the shorts in the MDR either, but that is because I have a rather large collection of dresses that are easy to dress up or down based on the occasion. Like I said previously the shorts the OP posted have an athletic cut to them and seem very casual. There is very little that could make the OP's shorts acceptable for the MDR.

I'm planning to wear shorts in the MDR on my upcoming NCL cruise to Bermuda. They are crochet navy lace (over navy fabric, not see through) slim cut as opposed to athletic. I bought them a size larger so they would sit a bit lower on my waist and not be too short. Going to pair them with a white silk cap sleeved shirt and navy flats with gold toned hardware.

Ever heard of false conclusions? Your data points are WAYYY too small, just because you were on vacation during one week and in that one week, in the restaurants you visited saw no one in trendy shorts doesn't mean it isn't true. It is like saying, I went to LA and not once did I bump into a celebrity, hence no celebrities live in LA

I personally wouldn't wear the shorts in the MDR either, but that is because I have a rather large collection of dresses that are easy to dress up or down based on the occasion. Like I said previously the shorts the OP posted have an athletic cut to them and seem very casual. There is very little that could make the OP's shorts acceptable for the MDR.

Data point: I was in Italy for more than a week ;)

The look may be "trendy" for teens and 20-somethings and people going clubbing. But, I do not think very short shorts, regardless of what they are paired with or how that are fashioned, are appropriate for dinner in the MDR. I do think that the suited white shorts, if they were maybe 4 inches longer, I would allow them in the MDR if I were the "door police".

Actually I think "different strokes" is more appropriate here. Everyone has their own opinion, as stated in length here.

For sure.

If I see something that I wouldn't wear in the MDR, I just think, oh well and go back to eating my dinner. One time, one of our tablemates had on shorts almost as short as the original picture. My food didn't taste any different, the service was the same and I didn't get riled enough to cause indigestion.:D

BTW, I'm a sticker for following the dress code for whatever line we're on and I wear dresses every night to dinner.:)

Poll looks like it's running 3 to 1 against.

Did you realize you made a funny with your "in length"?:D

Edited by iheartbda

I went out with a group of girlfriends today, and one was wearing something very similar (though not with a tank top). She looked cute -- for meeting at Chickfillet and doing some shopping.

Absolutely wear this outfit on the cruise -- but in the day, not to dinner.

I also wouldn't wear it with heels. The shorts aren't dressy, and heels look silly with them.

Also, no need to pay so much. I've seen similar shorts in the stores for $20-25.