Does anyone do the FOD/LGBT gatherings?

3DogDay

We attended the first two of our honeymoon cruise. Day one had about a total of 5-7 people there, but the space was huge and nobody mingled because of it.

Day two had 2 of the attendants from the night before, who kept to themselves.

My specific sailing was the same time as the World Poker Tournament, so the ship was filled with a LOT of people sailing under that special interest and their games usually took up a lot of the days...might have been why there wasn't much attendance.

We will see this upcoming December what the meetings are like. There's 4 of us sailing this time, so hopefully the "fun in numbers" rule applies and people stop in!

My husband & I honeymooned on Celebrity Reflection earlier this month, and an LGBT "happy hour" was in in the printed daily schedule for the second night (@10 pm in the wine bar). That event was hosted by the cruise director and his staff, so there was someone "official" there to help gather & welcome folks -- I'd say there were probably 12-15 guests (mostly men).

On subsequent nights, there was a more informal gathering at the martini bar, also at 10 pm, listed on the ship's message board on a card printed by Celebrity staff.

I always go to the LGBT get-togethers or happy hours or whatever they end up being. And like most people here, I find them sparsely attended, but I always meet great people at them- usually people I end up hanging out with later or having dinner with. So I highly recommend them!

I think that can be part of the problem. Some people will only ever walk by and if they don't see enough going on, they don't stop. That means if no one stops, the group will never build! We learned this a few cruises ago and now always make sure we sit down for at least a drink, and without fail others always stop by. Someone needs to break the ice! :)

I think scattering the meet-up times a bit may help - i.e. LGBT meet-up for breakfast, or LGBT coffee club in the afternoon etc. - rather than just late evening when we for example are usually exhausted and ready for bed! :p

Not all of us are late nighters :)

My husband & I honeymooned on Celebrity Reflection earlier this month, and an LGBT "happy hour" was in in the printed daily schedule for the second night (@10 pm in the wine bar). That event was hosted by the cruise director and his staff, so there was someone "official" there to help gather & welcome folks -- I'd say there were probably 12-15 guests (mostly men).

On subsequent nights, there was a more informal gathering at the martini bar, also at 10 pm, listed on the ship's message board on a card printed by Celebrity staff.

The ones on the Eclipse were in the Molecular Bar. Few showed up. Celebrity is pretty lame in helping out with the events. Cunard always had decent groups with dedicated staff. Usually in Commodore Club.

The Meet Me site is worthless and useless, there are so few people who even use it that it's laughable....most don't even know it exists.

They moderate adult gay male converations like its this site...HELLO, it's a site specifically for adult gay males! We should be able to discuss what we want to as long as its legal!!!! So much for a gay business being an outlet for gay customers to functionally use and share viewpoints.

• 2 weeks later...
I think scattering the meet-up times a bit may help - i.e. LGBT meet-up for breakfast, or LGBT coffee club in the afternoon etc. - rather than just late evening when we for example are usually exhausted and ready for bed! :p

Not all of us are late nighters :)

I agree on the timing, it needs to be various times. We sail Princess and it's usually 630p which is dinner time for us then a show. A sea day afternoon get together seems more reasonable.

We always go. We always let the cutest waiter know why we are there so he can steer other fellow travelers our way. We always enjoy ourselves even if it is just us!

I don't think the cruise line makes the difference, itinerary does. Our worst was a 14 day Panama Canal. But it didn't take much to look around and figure out that for the most part only older couples could take that much time to cruise.

The 7 day cruises seem to be just about right. On an Alaskan cruise we anticipated a weak FOD, but it turned out to be our best :p experience of all. Didn't think Alaska would be a draw for GLBT cruisers, but we were wrong!

When we felt that it was scheduled at the wrong time or location, we spoke to the Cruise Director, and it was changed as per our suggestion. We generally prefer before dinner drinks....

Go. Participate. Have a beverage and cast your bread upon the waters!

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically I have noticed the posts on THIS board have gone way down from a couple of years ago. Not sure if something happened or we are just more accepted in society and no longer need special boards or meetings to have a great time cruising. :) I will be on Princess for the 1st time next month to Mexico from LA so we will see how it compares.

Ironically I have noticed the posts on THIS board have gone way down from a couple of years ago. Not sure if something happened or we are just more accepted in society and no longer need special boards or meetings to have a great time cruising. :) I will be on Princess for the 1st time next month to Mexico from LA so we will see how it compares.

I have noticed the same thing. We just got off the Vision for a 11 and 12 day cruise and the FOD was scheduled for 1030PM nightly, and never saw anyone there, even thought we met many GLBT members on the ship and had a few conversations with them at other venues. Yes we have become accepted.

Ironically I have noticed the posts on THIS board have gone way down from a couple of years ago. Not sure if something happened or we are just more accepted in society and no longer need special boards or meetings to have a great time cruising.

Bingo.

That's why I stay active on it, though, the best that I can. I will always advocate and educate for LGBTQ acceptance, but that doesn't dissolve our community issues, needs, and camaraderie.

We were on Emerald Princess last September and the gathering started very slow the first night but it changed to a point that we were with 20 to 30 and the waiter had to bring extra seats for us.

The time was not so good it was 5.30 and a lot of the attendants had to go for dinner at 6.

We've only been on NCL, but try to attend them every night as long as we don't have dinner plans. We really liked the Gem and Dawn when they are held in the martini bars (back when they offered 2 for 1 martinis) and the time is a perfect 7PM. The Breakaway location was a little awkward, but still met a few there.

Hubby and I have now done 4 cruises in the past two years, all on Carnival.

We go to every Gathering listed on the daily schedule.

Few if any people ever show up.

The location is very public; IMHO we need our own space, not a popular (Alchemy) bar.

Next winter we are booked on RCI for Arno's Bear cruise.

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam the week before the RSVP cruise and we had 25-30 guys attend various nights of the LGBT Gathering in the Silk Den. Most nights were at 7 p.m.; the other nights were at 9 p.m. The first couple nights and the last night were the best attended. So, it's still a thing. :)

Thanks, my young teen kept bugging me about him going but I told him that as it was in a bar he couldn't go anyway. He was more looking for a social support group.

He's on a ship, anyone can go to the bars, just can't have alcohol. It's still a social event.