What's the best way to book a snorkel trip on our own?

GaTechCruiser

Also, the snorkel trip described on http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com looks good.

You could also just do your own trip if you are willing to snorkel from shore. You take a readily available taxi to Dzul Ha for snorkeling. They rent equipment there if you need it. I would be nice if you bought some food/drinks if you snorkel there, but other than that it if free. After a couple of hours of snorkeling, many people are ready to dry out and head to one of the beach clubs for some relaxing or my playing in the water.

Also, the snorkel trip described on http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com looks good.

You could also just do your own trip if you are willing to snorkel from shore. You take a readily available taxi to Dzul Ha for snorkeling. They rent equipment there if you need it. I would be nice if you bought some food/drinks if you snorkel there, but other than that it if free. After a couple of hours of snorkeling, many people are ready to dry out and head to one of the beach clubs for some relaxing or my playing in the water.

I agree with this suggestion. Most snorkel tours either go to the reef by Dzul Ha or Villablanca. You can take a cab to Papa Hogs and rent snorkel gear if you want to snorkel Villablanca. I much prefer Dzul Ha...where I go on my day off!

Is it possible to go to both of these areas on our own - taxis's readily available? We have our own equipment, and it sounds like these are the 2 areas to visit. I was thinking to stop at Dzul Ha, then continue on to Chankanaab for the rest of the day.

Is it possible to go to both of these areas on our own - taxis's readily available? We have our own equipment, and it sounds like these are the 2 areas to visit. I was thinking to stop at Dzul Ha, then continue on to Chankanaab for the rest of the day.
Short answer is yes. You do know that there is a $12 admission charge for Chankanaab, cash only, no plastic.

I agree with this suggestion. Most snorkel tours either go to the reef by Dzul Ha or Villablanca. You can take a cab to Papa Hogs and rent snorkel gear if you want to snorkel Villablanca. I much prefer Dzul Ha...where I go on my day off!

Most boat snorkel tours take the guest into the protected marine park and do reef that are not reached by shore snorkeling. Only Fury uses Dzul-Ha and Villablanca like that because their marine park permissions (on the boats they have them) are generally for fewer passengers then they like to carry. It isn´t a really good snorkel tour, but more of a party boat. A good tour will show you much more than these two shore locations. They will also include all your beer,soft drinks, purified water, ice and snacks if you select the right operator.

Mayan Paradise is running a special for September and October for a 3 reef snorkel trip from their Zorro Catamaran- Usually go to Paradise, Villa Blanca and Dzul Ha area- but for $35 including equipment and drinks - you can't beat it. Would probably cost you close to that just for taxis if you did it on your own.

Archived