A Delicate Situation

nurse@sea

Im taking a chance on getting flamed right off this thread, but something has been bothering me since my last sailing on the Summit two years ago. My DH and I are set to sail this August and the "delicate situation" might present itself again and I would like to know how other people would handle it.

I know that there are signs posted, by the pool, that children with diapers are not allowed to swim in the pools. That rule was being observed. The issue I have is that there were two special needs, young adults, that were lowered into the pool with the pool chair. Here's my issue…it was obvious, at least to me, that these young adults were probably not capable of being continent of their bladder and bowels. They probably were wearing some kind of diapers under their bathing suit. When this happened we had only a day and a half left on board before we returned home. I chose not to say anything and remained out of the pool the rest of the time. In all the years we've cruised, i can honestly say, this is the first time this issue has come up. My question to everyone is….what would you have done? Should something be said or is it a personal choice to just stay out of the pool? I wanted to say something, but I really didn't want to come across as the "mean woman" who hates special needs children. It really is a health issue though. Any suggestions how to handle something this delicate?? Thanks

As a mother of a special needs child, here is my two cents. These children may have full control of there bowels. My daughter needs help in a pool, but has no problem telling me when she has to go, and can hold it until we get to a bathroom. She may need help when finished, but she can hold it. I'm not saying that it was that way with these kids. But you could have asked (privately of course) one of the attendants or parent if you were wondering.

One time on the millennium the same situation arouse and the parents had assured the adult was trained to use facilities, but health officials decided for the protection of all...He used the hot tub and when finished the tub was cleaned. Everyone was happy with this choice. Hope it helps. I was on the Millenium I think 2001 or 2002.:DH said it was on Zenith. Whatever or which ever I was very happy with their decision.

The concern the OP shows for the quality of the pool water would lead me to believe the OP should not use public pools at all. You may need to question the "continence" of a lot of people in the pool, including middle-aged women who have stress incontinence from carrying and delivering their babies, many elderly who have weakened muscles that control continence and young children wearing swimmies. And how about the people who just don't feel like getting out to use the restroom? I'll bet that happens, too. I guess we have to trust the pool crew to test and treat the water appropriately or don't use the pools at all.

If I were the OP, I would mention it to a pool attendant --- if he stated that the special needs cruisers did not wear diapers, I would take his word for it and use the pools. As stated above, none of us can be 100% sure that the pools have not been contaminated by swimmers who look perfectly fine, but personally I wouldn't stop using them without some clear evidence of contamination. But I wouldn't hesitate to discuss it with the attendant, nothing politically incorrect about that, it's a health issue.

Edited by cynbar

with public swimming pools. I think a couple of the posters were a bit nasty to the o.p. Often, of course not always, there are people who do suffer from some sort of incontinance to varying degrees, special needs or not.

When I was a member of a gym, basically to use the pool during the winter for aqua movement class- there were signs up front saying please if you do have any incontinance problems, please stay out of the pool.

One of the managers there said they use a ton of chlorine and try to keep the pool as clean as possible. But this gym is popular with the elderly and he said, the fact is any time people use public pools, there is a certain amount of risk for infections, no matter what.

I do understand parents of special needs children being a bit defensive-- my husband teaches a special ed elementary class, but none of his students have that problem. But to the public, especially those in the medical and teaching profession-- the assumption when a pool is involved, is to err in the sign of caution. I think I too would be hesitant to use the pool on a cruise ship, right after a "suspicious" situation (for lack of another term) might take place. I would quietly go to pool attendant and ask if a "cleaning might be necessary" ASAP.

One should report/discuss anything that may negatively influence their cruise experience with the officer responsible for the area of concern. The responsible officer has the authority to correct or ignore the concern. Deal with problem while on the ship, not on Cruise Critic after you've disembarked.

I understand the ick/health factor. That being said, my thought is with an older special needs child, the parent would not put them in a position to be publically embarrassed. (Meaning they have confidence that there will not be accidents) Please consider how many things they may not be able to enjoy. If the pool/hot tub is something that their care taker knows they are capable of using, accept it graciously and be thankful that you are able bodied.

There is no way to determine this by looking at someone and you were right to not approach them. I am a special education educator myself and there is no way to know by looking at someone unless you actually see a diaper. Everyone with a disability, even the same one is different. It would be rude and insulting for you to ask someone about their bodily functions. You wouldn't ask an elderly person if they could hold it so you shouldn't ask a special needs person or family either.

I think you are trying to be respectful on a sensitive subject that you don't know a lot about, which is why you asked. But to answer your question, if you see something like an adult or baby with a diaper in the pool, tell guest services or a pool attendant who can make sure the pool is cleaned if necessary.

Edited by bearette

I think you are trying to be respectful on a sensitive subject that you don't know a lot about, which is why you asked. But to answer your question, if you see something like an adult or baby with a diaper in the pool, tell guest services or a pool attendant who can make sure the pool is cleaned if necessary.

I think the original poster was trying to be respectful also and trying to get suggestions on how to handle a similar situation in the future. Too bad there are people who chose to respond to her query in a nasty fashion.

I don't usually defend myself to people who don't know me, but in this one case I will. My query was legitimate. I can say, with 35 years of experience with children and young adults with special needs, that yes i CAN tell when someone requires a diaper or incontinence device.

My concern is whether the sanitation of the pool is adequate enough for people to be swimming in it with diapers. I have been in pools for therapy and just plain fun where the children or young adults wore incontinence devices. I also knew that those pools were cleaned appropriately to prevent the spread of bacteria which can cause illness.

So to all who misinterpreted my question or who chose to judge me and felt i was discriminatory to the special needs community, Im sorry you interpreted my question that way.

To the people who defended my question and right to ask, I thank you.

And last, to the people who are just plain nasty and short sighted, I feel sorry for you. It must be difficult to be so condescending all of the time. Watch out the Karma doesn't come back and kick you in the butt.

My special needs daughter is 37 and she always cruises with us. She loves being in the water, probably because it gives her body freedom she cannot experience out of the water. She uses a wheelchair because she can neither walk nor stand, but she does not wear a diaper in the pool, and she does not have accidents. We use the pool at our fitness center at home and have never had a problem there either.

Managing cruise ships for over 30 years has taught me to NEVER swim in a public pool.

Remember when people used to shower before entering the pool?

How many people do you see showering today? NONE.

All that fecal material, body lotion, perfume, sweat, deodorant, and other garbage washes off into the pool.

Fresh water pools are a very expensive option on a cruise ship.

Even though they are small, they still hold between 80 and 100 tons of water.

Producing or buying fresh water for a cruise ship costs us between US$4 and US$6 per ton.

Chief Engineers and Captains get bigger monthly bonuses when they use less water.

Cruise ship swimming pools are only drained and cleaned when the urine content reaches ridiculously high levels.

On the positive side, human urine is sterile when it leaves your body.

On the negative side, do you really want to swim in an open sewer?

I admit, I am spoiled and have my own pool at home. (small, nothing fancy) My dh is meticulous in keeping it clean.

That said, due to "an inconvenient truth" as Brucemazz said, and I tried to write a "cleaned up" version of that, when I was defending o.p. in what she was asking-- (there really was no need for the other posters to be kind of nasty to her, JMHO) let's just say that for the few times that I will go in a public pool, I am very sensitive to cleanliness-- and at the very least keep my head above the water. Then if on a cruise, take a good hot shower "to sterilize" or feel like I did. I'd rather be in "ignorant bliss" when it comes to public pools.

The concern the OP shows for the quality of the pool water would lead me to believe the OP should not use public pools at all. You may need to question the "continence" of a lot of people in the pool, including middle-aged women who have stress incontinence from carrying and delivering their babies, many elderly who have weakened muscles that control continence and young children wearing swimmies. And how about the people who just don't feel like getting out to use the restroom? I'll bet that happens, too. I guess we have to trust the pool crew to test and treat the water appropriately or don't use the pools at all.

So the difference with a pool on a cruise ship is that it really can't be cleaned on the fly the way a regular land bound pool can be. You can't replace any of the water, and you can only add so much chlorine. The really big concern is POO not PEE. Most of the instances you list are PEE. I assure you that the second you step foot into any lake or the ocean itself, you might as well be entering a body of water full of pee. As far as composition goes, the ocean isn't all that different. Also pee is free from any bacteria and is almost completely anti septic unless the person has a urinary tract infection. Therefore the POO is the real concern here. Children wearing swim diapers are not allowed in the pool because they might poo. Poo will introduce a lot of bacteria and the really big concern would be diarrhea. This could make everyone in the pool sick for days.

Most people do not crap in the pool. Pretty much everyone you list is not going to crap in the pool. OPs concern is legitimate, many adults who require that level of care also wear adult diapers because they cannot control their bowels. It's the same reason that children in diapers are not allowed in the pool. HOWEVER, I almost guaruntee that if they were using the chair lift to get the person into the pool then this question was already asked.

Posters attacking the OP need to go online and read about the life threatening diseases that can now be caught in a pool contaminated with feces. Google c-diff, which now can be caught in pools, and read the CDC papers on E. coli and other swimming pool diseases.

I cannot believe anyone would not think about the results from a person ignoring rules instead of being offended someone was decent enough to ask what should one do in this situation. It feels like the ultimate entitlement.

Many elderly are in more fragile health and taking a chance that might KILL someone else is just wrong. By the way Purell is great for some things but not all, including c-diff which most often kills elderly and babies in nursery school. Only antibiotic soap and water works.

IMHO a passenger should notify management if anyone wearing a diaper goes into the pool, young or old. For everyone's safety. I would not confront anyone, and of course we cannot assume that those of us who are handicapped are incontinent. But better safe than sorry and very ill.

One online article said "Another "disturbing" trend is that several bacteria that used to infect "only" in hospitals are now acquiring the ability to spread in the community at large. S. aureus (aka MRSA) is a prime example. Originally seen in hospitals only, it's now transmitting everywhere from wrestling mats5 to swimming pools.6 And now C. diff. seems to have acquired that same ability, and K. pneumoniae is not at all unusual among homeless alcoholics. You don't need to be Nostradamus to know what's barreling down the freeway towards us. Let's take a look at those two newest superbugs, C. diff. and K. pneumoniae, to see where our problems might lie."

http://jonbarron.org/topic/clostridium-difficile-and-klebsiella-pneumoniae-are-coming

Managing cruise ships for over 30 years has taught me to NEVER swim in a public pool.

Remember when people used to shower before entering the pool?

How many people do you see showering today? NONE.

All that fecal material, body lotion, perfume, sweat, deodorant, and other garbage washes off into the pool.

Fresh water pools are a very expensive option on a cruise ship.

Even though they are small, they still hold between 80 and 100 tons of water.

Producing or buying fresh water for a cruise ship costs us between US$4 and US$6 per ton.

Chief Engineers and Captains get bigger monthly bonuses when they use less water.

Cruise ship swimming pools are only drained and cleaned when the urine content reaches ridiculously high levels.

On the negative side, do you really want to swim in an open sewer?

I feel the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, that's a myth. I had heard that too, but it turns out that urine is not sterile. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the pool or hot tub. Anyway, most pools I've been in are saltwater and are changed at least once per cruise and also chlorinated.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20140519/sterile-urine-may-be-a-myth

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turns-out-urine-isnt-actually-sterile-180954809/

Personally, I'm more wary of the hot tub. Sharing warm, bubbly water with the shed skin cells and flatus of the last 1000 people to dip their sweaty bodies in there has quite a high ick factor.

Hubby and I always call it the "human stewpot" [emoji43]