ATM at FCO airport in rome

mono

hi everybody, i will be going to europe soon and would like any of you to share info in regards to ATM. I read many postings where people recommend to use atm at fco airport. i have a td bank account which doesnt charge international fees.

i read that when you take money out of atm at fco, the atm doesnt tell you the rate converted to euro until you withdraw the money. i would like to get the best rate possible of course. is there any way to know the rate before taking money out at fco? should i use the atm inside the bank or stand alone atm ? please share your opinions/experience. thanks

I'm not sure that I've ever seen any ATM in Europe that tells you exchange rates before transacting. I'm not even sure I've ever seen it told to me after the transaction on the receipt, but I'll have to check next time. Usually, I don't see the conversion until checking with my own bank online.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen any ATM in Europe that tells you exchange rates before transacting. I'm not even sure I've ever seen it told to me after the transaction on the receipt, but I'll have to check next time. Usually, I don't see the conversion until checking with my own bank online.

Agree. Have used ATMs in at least 10 countries in Europe. Don't ever remember the ATM telling me the rate. However, ATMs are the best rate, so...

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm not sure there is a difference in exchange rates from one ATM to another. It's not the same thing as exchanging currencies physically at a bank. You are simply withdrawing funds. In nearly all cases where I've checked, the rate given is only a tiny bit below the official posted rate (which is not really available to consumers anyway).

To be on the safe side, use a BANK branded ATM machine. Travelex has machines that look like ATMs but they are not and they give the usual Travelex lousy exchange rate.

As others have said, ATMs do not show you exchange rates. However, you can easily check on the current rate of exchange by using an excellent web site such as XE.com. This shows the true current market exchange rates in the international markets. The rate you get from an ATM will be slightly below this rate.

Hank

Careful....Frommer's is reporting that all European airports (with the exception of Dublin) have switched to Travelex. Travelex usually tells you the exchange rate and it sucks.

If anyone can confirm what FCO is using right now, that would be great! I am about 80 euros short of my car + apartment and really don't want to pull at the airport with a lousy rate. I'll try to ask my driver to stop quickly or just walk down the street from apartment before paying.

Funny, I've always assumed ATM gave the best rate and in many travels only checked once, from that one time a few years back it was very very close. Since then I never sweated the ATM rate, I trust my bank, maybe I shouldn't but I do, after all they have all my money :D

Chipmaster - yes, that is correct; however, in Europe Travelex has apparently taken over airport ATMs. Travelex is the same company that has the horrible airport currency converter shops. So their ATM rate is awful...they are basically adding on a surcharge. Would be better off buying cash beforehand as that is typically only a 7-8% markup and Travelex can be 10+%.

So definitely worth checking the owner of the ATM before withdrawing.

Travelex? Oh My? If Travelex is the only option for airport ATMs (this has not been our experience but we have not been in Europe since last year) then we would be looking for other options. I do not like anything about Travelex which is a company that operates currency exchange booths in many airports. In the past we have found that their overall exchange rate (when adjusted for any fees) is not very favorable. That is why we always recommend that folks only use European ATMs that are tied to real banks.

Our previous experience is that Travelex often has the franchise for all currency exchanges in some airports, but we have always found multiple ATMs operated by verious banks and travelex.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

thank you everyone for participating on this posting. i guess i will have to be careful exchanging money at FCO using atm. i will probably take money out from atm froatm roma terminiti station if travelex took over all atm at the airport.

I was just at FCO; sorry I can't say I remember any particular ATMs. I always have a supply of about 100EU at home to take with me so I can bypass the airport mess and get into Rome as quickly as possible, where I will hit the nearest Bancomat by my hotel.

I will say that I do vaguely remember a few Travelex machines around - whether they were in FCO or JFK or both, I can't say. I just know Travelex and never use it for any reason...

I will be going through FCO in about 12 days, but with the recent fire on T3 (and I assume some re-routing through the airport) plus the fact that I will be in a big hurry to get into the city ASAP, I can't promise that I will spend time looking around.

However, if I should happen to see one, I'll try to post the type.

This doesn't help for the rest of Europe, but the last time we went to an ATM at Heathrow, they were all Travelex. It was fine for us since we have a UK bank account, so exchange didn't come into it, and they didn't charge a fee. They also offered Euros from the same machine, and no doubt that would have been a bad exchange rate.

This Travelex situation is not good, as we have always relied on airport ATMs. So next best is to have enough cash (if any is needed) to get into town and use a bank ATM there.

Agree. Next trip to Europe I'm going to make sure we come back with enough starter Euros to get us into town in Euroland countries.

Last year in Copenhagen, we spent 15 minutes searching for a real bank machine in the airport amid the sea of non bank machines. It helps that I used to analyze foreign banks in a previous work life, so I know the names of most banks in each country.

Some of the bank names you might see are:

Banca Credito Italiano - Unicredit Group

Banca d'Italia

Banca Monte Dei Paschi Di Siena

Banca ****onale Del lavoro - BNP Paribas

Banca Di Roma - Unicredit Group

If you look on the airport map for the little blue euro symbol you'll see where the ATMs are located: https://www.adr.it/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=a149c556-2981-442e-82c5-750195ba119b&groupId=10157

Look for a Bancomat (ATM) that is either built into the side of the bank building or inside the bank building (found more of those in Germany than Italy). Avoid any others.

Just the other week, I used the Bancomat at: Banca Populare di Vincenza (on via Tritone near where you would turn to Trevi Fountain), BNL Gruppo Paribas (near my hotel up on via Veneto) in Rome and Banca Carige Italia in Florence (on Ognasanti near the Westin Florence). I still have the receipts ;)

Hi Mono

Rome is a great place, and you will have a brilliant time but Travelex are not the only ones who might wish to seperate you from your Euros. I have been through Termini on more than a few occasions and I really want you be extra vigilant when using the ATMs/ticket machines etc... . Watch who is watching you, be aware if anyone tries to "bump" into you by accident - and make sure to decline any offers to "help" in any way whatsoever.

I know this sort of thing happens everywhere - but I am always avery ware of what is going on around me - and I have seen more stuff going down in Termini than I have even in Barcelona!!