What's the ONE thing you wish you had packed that you didn't?

SerenadingSarah

I have found that, no matter how light I try to pack, I always bring too many clothes and shoes. Everyone is different with their needs, so you need to decide for yourself what is right in that dept. A small first aid kit is essential, emphasis on small. Take along your own toiletries, much of it is provided onboard, but usually not pleasant stuff.

The one and only thing I didn't bring (once) and really needed was my cell phone. I thought it would be easy to use the pay phone in port, forget it, the crew were 4 deep in line to use those phones. I also could have used it at the airport on our return to call our shuttle service.

My collapsable table for dining on my balcony. Just bought one and love it since it comes with a canvas bag for carrying over the shoulder--lightweight too! It is similar to the collapsable chairs you can carry over the shoulder. A cruiser must have invented these tables.

baggies are great for many things,I even use them for packing..keeps clothes from getting wrinkles...plus many other great uses for them..but,FYI...do NOT put shells in them from the beach unless you know its LEGAL...its illegal in Cozumel to remove shells from their beaches..I know little ones want to pick up shells..heck I love shells,but just make sure they allow it where you will be...

Also,not sure if anyone mentioned this or not,but if your going to Xcaret or other eco parks,make sure you take paba-free suntan lotions.They wont let you enter with one thats going to damage the water/fish/reef.You can buy there,but much more expensive...Dot

On our last cruise, I bought an inexpensive hanging shoe organizer (the kind with pockets) - In a limited space it was a great place to organize things like toiletries, those disposable rain ponchos, extra batteries, dress socks, etc.

Also - highlighters! Use them to go through the cruise program and highlight things you don't want to miss!

A big safety pin. The plastic clip that holds my swimsuit top broke. I had a spare swimsuit, but I had to wear it all the time. Nothing worse than putting a damp wimsuit back on.

I also agree with the cold medicine. I started feeling bad last trip. An 8-pack of Dimetapp (only brand they had) was $12 in the ship gift shop.

Next cruise I am bringing a small coffee pot. I'm a coffee junkie and wake up much earlier than the rest of my family, I will be able to enjoy coffee on my balcony with out havig room service knock on the door and wake everyone up! I mentioned this to my DH and he was delighted, the knock on the door was a pain for him. Teri

I don't know where you are cruising to but if it happens to be anywhere other than Alaska..... pack plenty of good sunscreen! Remember, the sun is not near at an angle down in the Caribbean and such. Especially if you're from Mass.

You don't want to spend the last few days of your cruise looking like ----->:mad:

ALOE VERA! On one of our first cruises while we were in Barbados, someone came around selling bottles of pure aloe. He put a little on DH's shoulder, but since we were so sure we had brought ours from home, we passed. Well low and behold, we got back to the ship and didn't have it, and that little patch on DH's shoulder was the only place that he didn't burn - bad! :eek: At least if we had brought it, it would have relieved his pain somewhat. We've never forgotten it since.

A clock for the room. And a watch.

A small pair of scissors. We once needed them and the room steward couldn't find up any. Had to use nail clippers to take strings on my dress that keep it on the hanger off. I didn't realize they would not stay unseen.

Other than that we didn't have enough small bills once. I don't agree with the $2 bills. Think of how many times you see one? They are not "normal". They may look like funny money to someone who doesn't use US currency. Can you imagine trying to use one in a place that has a different currency? Just use normal dollar bills and save the hassle.

A couple of cruises ago we gave in and tried the over the door shoe hanger thing. I LOVE it. It makes things so much easier to find. I will not cruise without it again :)

I have 3 small zippered cases, They are filled w/ meds of all kinds, sunscreen, can opener, scissors,sewing kit,rain ponchos, small bounce & tide,corkscrew,travel clock..... They stay stocked & always get packed. Whether an overnite or such.. One thing I didn't take & had to buy was a larger pair of pull on shorts, which I needed by the 7th day!!

LK:)

We previously used the shoe pocket thingy. Now I've found this great toiletry bag that I don't need to unpack, ever! It hangs on the bathroom door of your cabin, keeping everything within easy reach. And when it's time to pack up, just zip it up and you're done. Much easier than loading and unloading the shoe holder. I will say that the shoe holder was much less expensive. But also bulkier. I found mine at LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=34904&parentCategory=4525&cat4=2936&productId=497347&display_id=46829&feat=sdp203&catalog_id=TA&from=&rtnComp=&attrValue_1=Sky%20Blue.

And I whole-heartedly second the Ziploc baggies!!!

Even though Ecuador is on the US Dollar - noone there takes $2 bill or Sacajewea dollar - or anything in the least unusual. In the grocery stores they even type the serial number of your bill into some kind of electronic checking device for validation. I've never seen this anywhere else.

Immodium AD

SECOND THAT!!!!

Also... I agree with the alarm clock... I went on my first cruise last Oct. (Grand Princess/Canada-NE) and there wasn't an alarm clock in the room... had to keep picking up the phone and pressing "Time Check" to see what time it was. Also, don't forget BATTERIES!!!

We previously used the shoe pocket thingy. Now I've found this great toiletry bag that I don't need to unpack, ever! It hangs on the bathroom door of your cabin, keeping everything within easy reach. And when it's time to pack up, just zip it up and you're done. Much easier than loading and unloading the shoe holder. I will say that the shoe holder was much less expensive. But also bulkier. I found mine at LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=34904&parentCategory=4525&cat4=2936&productId=497347&display_id=46829&feat=sdp203&catalog_id=TA&from=&rtnComp=&attrValue_1=Sky%20Blue.

That is way cool -- we will be brining one of those with us!

I usually pre-pack the shoe holder now. I actually leave it mostly packed from cruise to cruise. I also pack my clothes already on hangers. It takes about 10 minutes to unpack and I am off to the pool deck. I hate putting stuff in drawers and on shelves. I like to be able to see my choices in clothing and shoes.

We once did a great job of packing, but it took about an hour to get everything unpacked, hung and situated.

I would rather have an extra suitcase to wheel around and be able to enjoy that extra hour of vacation.

The more we cruise the easier packing gets. It's fun to have stuff packed that's cruise only and ready at all times. It's kinda like Christmas a couple of times a year. I find stuff in my suitcase I forgot I had.... :)

Is it just me that does this or are there other cruise obsessed people out there?

Clementyne, we now use the Large size bag. We have only used it for land travel so far but will be taking it on our third cruise next February. More than roomy enough for hairspray, shaving cream, lotion, soap, everything we need. Then we put it inside our larger suitcase.

Oh, and another thing I wish I had packed was a light sweater or dressy jacket......the dining room on the Conquest was freezing!

This takes up room, I admit, but for my husband's comfort, it is a necessity, especially for Caribbean cruises. I pack a small electric fan. Haier makes a nice small, compact, and very light one that is powerful for its size. If anyone has just come out of the shower after a long tour day in the late afternoon, he will understand the need of a fan. It might be cool in the room, but you need air circulation!!!!!!! So now the small fan gets put in the suitcase first thing!

Pooh

Archived