Sea Princess .. World Cruise 2015

I was looking at our south America trip and we have less days between quito and the lima departure... which got me thinking ..... the port of call before quito is puntarenas...hmm before that Cartagena .... as we have done the panama and costa rica before wouldn't a 7 day trip from Cartagena to machu picchu and surrounds be nice .... you could arrive in lima the on the first day ( ship overnights ) to take the stress of missing the ship as it is 10 till we get to Tahiti LOL...

Edited by packetau

so the private group were at the airport on the way to lima and machu pichu.... hopefully they will keep posting on facebook and I can you all updated..

Thanks Jo, Machu Picchu updates would be great. We are also going with Jaime next year on the world cruise so all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jo, Machu Picchu updates would be great. We are also going with Jaime next year on the world cruise so all info would be greatly appreciated.

No problems.... I bet you though internet might be flighty

Macchu Picchu and Cusco are well worth the effort, have done that when we visited our son in Lima when he lived there.

As for Lima, well been there 3 times inc last year on Golden Princess, gridlocked city but interesting, I will leave you to make judgement.

Macchu Picchu and Cusco are well worth the effort, have done that when we visited our son in Lima when he lived there.

As for Lima, well been there 3 times inc last year on Golden Princess, gridlocked city but interesting, I will leave you to make judgement.

Thanks Les. We begin our MP tour in Manta on 30th July and end 2nd August in Lima so it will be all over by this time next year. Even though we cant really imagine what it will be like, the thought of it excites us :D

Macchu is such a bucket list item!!

I heard they are putting a limit on the number of tourists that can visit now.

How did you get on with the altitude Les? I believe each tour guide carries a canister of oxygen.:eek:

I heard they are putting a limit on the number of tourists that can visit now.

How did you get on with the altitude Les? I believe each tour guide carries a canister of oxygen.:eek:

David, Buenos Dias !! We did Cusco/Macchu Picchu in 2002, when we visited Lima for 3 weeks for my son's wedding. We had a week up there at altitude around 13,000 feet and we were a bit ill, even with cocoa tea and diamox (altitude tablets.) Fatigue sets in, problems breathing, headaches, nausea, but when you get to the Lost City, it is all worth it, well I can say that now. An experience you must have a go at. You just need to take it easy up there, walk a 100 metres and have rest. Most people born and raised at sea level, even the Peruvians are effected by altitude sickness.

Yes tourist numbers on the Inca Trail and at Macchu Picchu site are limited and oxygen is available up there both at the site and in hotels.

Above all, enjoy !!

Back to the Sea Princess blogs, great narrative and photos by Andy of the Panama Canal transit. Crikey I am glad also that his porridge was finally hot and his Salad cold !! LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Hello from Scotland :)

Great captures of the Panama Canal!, Sorry I was not around to get captures :o we where in Dubai and the internet in the hotel was slow...

packetau - Can you post a link to all the blogs?, I want to catch up on all of them :D :eek:

Ok so started thinking I may have missed some FB posts as I haven't seen anything from my friend.... Then checked out her husbands page and there they were... A couple of photos in equator, then the airport to Peru and yesterday Machu Picchu ...... So they are still alive lol

Now on their way to Pisco. Not many people get to Pisco.:D

After 2 days in Lima they will probably be overloaded with Souveniers from the craft warehouse on the dock. Very good buying and very good quality from there.:)

Wonder if the MP folk are back yet or are joining in Pisco?

Now on their way to Pisco. Not many people get to Pisco.:D

After 2 days in Lima they will probably be overloaded with Souveniers from the craft warehouse on the dock. Very good buying and very good quality from there.:)

Wonder if the MP folk are back yet or are joining in Pisco?

I reckon they will rejoin at San Martin (Pisco) They did on Golden Princess last year. I hope all the folk have recovered from the altitude.

As for the next port:San Martin, that is a strange place, having been there last March on Golden Princess - Buenos Aires to LA. In the middle of the desert, not much there, couple of hotels, few shops, souvenirs, small resort. You can see the city of Pisco across the water. A shuttle takes you from the dock across the desert into San Martin.

All part of the adventure. And so the adventure continues on ye olde Sea Princess.

As you can see from my comment on my post, they dock in the middle of the desert !!! Zilch there !!

Yes its a desert . It gets no rainfall and even weeds cannot grow. Paracas is around the bay which you can just see in the distance. When we called there we took a local taxi..(very old and very small) to Paracas and went on a speed boat trip to see the famous "Candelabra" and the Isle de Ballesta's.

The candelabra is an enormous carving into the hillside , believed to be a beacon for the ancient Incas to lead them to the gold , and the Ballesta Islands are a mini Gallapagos. The wildlife is prolific and it used to be mined for guano. Also in the area, if you take a plane ride , so you can view them from the air , are the Nazca lines.