trying a new line??

MeBSu

My husband (40's), son and his girlfriend (20's) and I (soon to be 50!!!) are planning a cruise this winter. We have cruised many times before and really enjoyed RCCL and 1 of our 2 Carnival cruises the best. I was looking at NCL's new ship Jewel..any ideas? We are not sure about the freestyle cruising. We have always made great friends with our table mates and think that maybe we would be missing out on that aspect of cruising. Also, surprisingly, my son said he kind of likes the formal night!! I would like to sail out of FL, and are looking at Jan/Feb....We have done both the eastern and western before. I would prefer southern or eastern again. Help, I am spending hours online looking at the options.....I am getting dizzy!!!

You might want to check out Princess which has a version of "freestyle" dining and still has formal nights. We have really enjoyed our two cruises with them and will be cruising with them again in the future. I'm not sure which of their ships are sailing when during the period you need but if you check out the Princess web site or one of the online cruise sites like ***** you should be able to search for cruise that would meet your needs.

Have a great next cruise.

Take a look at Celebrity. They are considered by many to be the best of the mass market lines with exceptional food and service. They have been consistently ranked in the top 10 of the large ship cruise lines by various travel/cruise magazines, whereas none of the NCL ships make the top 10 of anything. I usually cruise Crystal, which is considered the best of the best in the large ship category, and I'm a huge fan of Crystal, but Celebrity does a really good job for a mass market line. They have traditional dining with formal nights, and their dress codes are observed by a vast majority of the passengers.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of answer you're looking for. No one can guarantee that you will enjoy NCL or their Freestyle policies. You've already expressed uncertainty about their Freestyle dining (no assigned table) and their casual dress code (only optional formal nights). Based on those doubts, it sounds like you're better off sticking with a traditional cruise.

I feel that you won't know how you will react until you actually try it. There have been many posts on the NCL boards from people who were reluctant to try Freestyle, went on their cruises, and ended up being surprised by how much they enjoyed Freestyle. Some, in fact, have stated that after experiencing Freestyle, they can't imagine going back to traditional cruising. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who have tried it and can't stand it.

I personally love NCL's Freestyle and wouldn't hesitate to try out their new ship, the Jewel. In general, if you're considering NCL, I would stick with their newer ships, of which the Jewel is the newest. If it's anything like the Dawn and Star (both of which I've sailed on), I know I would enjoy it. But that's me. I've done seven traditional cruises and have had my share of formal night. Sometimes I do miss the assigned table because I've met a number of nice people who were my assigned tablemates. But all in all, it's not enough to outweigh how much I enjoy the freedom that Freestyle offers - freedom to dine when I'm actually hungry, or when it fits my schedule. No rushing to get ready, no rushing if an excursion runs late. Freedom to dine with whom I choose - an intimate table for two, a larger table with newfound friends onboard, or potluck at a larger table with strangers - it's all up to my mood on any given night. Freedom to dress up to the nines if the mood strikes me (not because it's dictated by the ship's guidelines), or dress casually simply because I would feel more comfortable.

You will receive views from both sides and neither side is wrong. Bottom line, only you are in the best position to determine what works for your family.

thanks everyone for your quick responses. We did a Celebrity cruise 6 years ago to Alaska and although everyone enjoyed themselves, they didn't seem to cater to the younger people. I think I will look into another RCCL or Princess. Thanks for your ideas and imput. John you are right we won't know unless we try, and I haven't ruled NCL out but Kitty scared me a little!

If you're looking for a change and liked Carnival and Royal Caribbean, then I really don't think NCL is for you... I know it certainly WASN"T for me. I agree with the people who said to try Princess or Celebrity.

If you liked Carnival, NCL is just as casual but I feel that their ships are nicer and less crowded. Also, the atmosphere is a bit nicer onboard.

If you liked the level of activity on RCI, you will not find that on X or HAL.

It has been 15 years since I cruised with Princess and I did not like it enough to go back. Now that they are owned by CCL, I personally would not consider it.

I did not dislike NCL overall. I enjoyed the Sun overall. But, I really did not care for Freestyle. As a a solo cruiser, I found it made it difficult to meet people. Also, I did not care for the menus I saw posted for the main dining rooms.

Entertainment on NCL was quite good, at least in terms of quality of the musicians.

The only way you will really now, as another poster mentioned, is to try it yourself.

CG

thanks everyone for your quick responses. We did a Celebrity cruise 6 years ago to Alaska and although everyone enjoyed themselves, they didn't seem to cater to the younger people. I think I will look into another RCCL or Princess. Thanks for your ideas and imput. John you are right we won't know unless we try, and I haven't ruled NCL out but Kitty scared me a little!

Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the lines being discussed. I have sailed Princess, RCI and NCL, so for those lines I can speak with firsthand experience. You shouldn't allow Kitty's remarks to scare you. However, she is right about Celebrity and Crystal. They consistently do well in travel magazine polls. My problem with trusting polls is that they only reflect the demographic that's being polled. What I do know is this: thousands of passengers sail on all the mainstream lines every week. The vast majority of them enjoy themselves. I truly believe that the main factor in your decision-making should center around whether Freestyle will appeal to you and your family. Everything else (service, food, entertainment, amenities, etc.) are probably close enough to what you've enjoyed in the past to not make a difference, especially since you would be considering one of NCL's newest ships, the Jewel.

My DD and I cruised on the Coral Princess this summer and we really enjoyed the freestyle dining option because it allowed us to meet many different people every night. We would always ask the matre'd for a table for 10 so that we had lots of variety. The menu as well as the formal nights were exactly the same as in the traditional dining room. The Coral is a gorgeous ship with lots of room...I would sail her again in a heart beat! I saw people of all ages on this cruise so you should feel comfortable if you choose Princess.

Norwegian Dawn uses the elegant Venetian Dining Room on formal nights. Those who chose not to dress formal had 9 other restaurants to eat at on the NCL Dawn on formal nights. One couple with us ate at the Venetian every day with same waiter same table, etc. We preferred all the choices of eating at a different venue each night. Sometimes we sat at a table for 6 or a table for 2--depending on our mood. We met lots of fun people to dine with, but also enjoyed those times we wanted to be by ourselves. The NCL Jewel looks like a gorgeous ship. Variety is the spice of life. I love sailing different lines. It makes cruising more interesting for us.

My husband (40's), son and his girlfriend (20's) and I (soon to be 50!!!) are planning a cruise this winter. We have cruised many times before and really enjoyed RCCL and 1 of our 2 Carnival cruises the best. I was looking at NCL's new ship Jewel..any ideas? We are not sure about the freestyle cruising. We have always made great friends with our table mates and think that maybe we would be missing out on that aspect of cruising. Also, surprisingly, my son said he kind of likes the formal night!! I would like to sail out of FL, and are looking at Jan/Feb....We have done both the eastern and western before. I would prefer southern or eastern again. Help, I am spending hours online looking at the options.....I am getting dizzy!!!

Seabee--that really is "freestyling"! But alas, my son and I would freak!

My husband says whatever cruise we choose will be great, and my son's girlfriend has never cruised before, so it will all be great to her too, (remember that first time when you stepped on the ship??!!) I am still researching, and I appreciate all your comments!

We personally like going on differant lines. I find they all have their pluses and minuses. the only line I absolutely did not care for was HAL-it was much too sedate but that line tends to attract older people and when I say older people I am talking about people older then me-I am 51. But I can't really fairly say I disliked them- as I have only done the Alaska cruise with them-Alaska also attracts an older crowd- so we like got a double wammy. At the time I was in my mid forties and I felt like a sping chicken in comparison -as at least 60% were over 65 on that cruise. Now I did not mind the folks were older- it was just the lounges had little or no entertainment- I guess HAL did not see the need to provide entertainment as they feel their customers being older- don't want it or something. Heck one of the things hubby and I love is watching the 70 plus age group ball-room dance on Carnival. HAL did not have this-at least this HAL cruise did not have the ballroom dancing.

As far as Princess being owned by Carnival corp. From what I understand The corp. did not change Princess-after all Carnival corp. wants to make money-not lose it- which is why they bought Princess. I have only done one Princess cruise-but I absolutely loved that cruise. There were plenty of entertainment and night life-things did close up around midnight-1a.m. but I go to bed around then anyway so that was not a problem for me. I just wish there were more Princess ships and more options for Princess cruises.

I have not tried Celebrity or Norweigan yet but I hope to try both-the way I see it even if I am not crazy about the cruiseline- I will still have a good time-any cruise is better then no cruise as far as I am concerned.

I'm just overwhelmed that you are going to allow your husband to take his 20 year old girlfriend along. sound to me like "freestyle" is the right answer for this crew! :)

I think the girlfriend belongs to son not hubby but maybe you are just teasing.

I'm wondering if, given the age difference, the size of the ship my be more of a consideration than the cruise line. For example, we just came back from an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess, a very large and beautiful ship. Despite the size, we did not ever feel crowded (OK, there were a lot of people lined up for pictures on formal night, but there was free booze!). My point is, the ship had six or seven lounges with evening entertainment, in addition to the main theatre. So if you and your husband want a quiet after dinner drink, a little slow dancing to a live combo, you go to the wheelhouse bar, or there were magicians and/or comics in the Explorer's lounge, and the younger crowd went either to Club Fusion (Princess Idol contest, with d.j. before and after) or Skywalkers, with a band there for those who wanted to boogie all night. The larger the ship, the more varied and numerous the options.

I'm wondering if, given the age difference, the size of the ship my be more of a consideration than the cruise line. For example, we just came back from an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess, a very large and beautiful ship. Despite the size, we did not ever feel crowded (OK, there were a lot of people lined up for pictures on formal night, but there was free booze!). My point is, the ship had six or seven lounges with evening entertainment, in addition to the main theatre. So if you and your husband want a quiet after dinner drink, a little slow dancing to a live combo, you go to the wheelhouse bar, or there were magicians and/or comics in the Explorer's lounge, and the younger crowd went either to Club Fusion (Princess Idol contest, with d.j. before and after) or Skywalkers, with a band there for those who wanted to boogie all night. The larger the ship, the more varied and numerous the options.

Hubby and I do hope to cruise alaska again some day. Our cruise did not do Skagway and we would love to go there. Myabe we will try princess for the next Alaska cruise. As I said it is not we are major party goers or anything but we do want SOME live entertainment.

Archived