Mendenhall Glacier and whale watching in Juneau

Voyagers

Hello, we will be in Juneau on a Norwegian ship in June. We would like to do a combination Mendenhall/whale watching excursion. Would anyone have any private tour operator recommendations? I saw a tour from Shore Excursion Group but don't know anything about them. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Harvandmarvs.com is a private tour boats operator for whale watching in Auke Bay. Their driver picks you up at the pier and drops you back with a complimentary stop at Mendenhall Glacier. We had a great time with them, small boat, lots of whales.

Sorry I meant to add that I don't have any info about Shore Excursion Group, but did want to suggest a tour that I'd been on that offered that combo and that was with Harv and Marv.

Have only heard good things about them. Will be doing their tour in June

Harvandmarvs.com is a private tour boats operator for whale watching in Auke Bay. Their driver picks you up at the pier and drops you back with a complimentary stop at Mendenhall Glacier. We had a great time with them, small boat, lots of whales.

we have booked with them having read several recommendations....

;

We are doing the Harv and Marv tour in June too. How long is the tour ?

Check the website to be sure, but I think it was about four hours with three hours on the water. It may be more if you opt to visit Mendenhall Glacier.

Orcaenterprise is also work a look. Harv and Marv didn't work out for us due to their restrictive rules and we had a blast with our kids on similar smaller boat and Mendenhall on our trip.

Seeing as Harv and Marv are full, are there any other recommendations? I saw a Liquid Alaska tour advertised. Looks like they hire local operators. Does anyone have any experience with them or other suggestions? Thanks!

Do not go with Juneau Tours & whale watch. We made that mistake. They are very unorganized and booking in advance gave you no priority over anyone stepping onto shore and purchasing a tour there. A waste of time and money!

Do not go with Juneau Tours & whale watch. We made that mistake. They are very unorganized and booking in advance gave you no priority over anyone stepping onto shore and purchasing a tour there. A waste of time and money!

That's a bummer to hear about the Juneau Tours whale watching excursion. I was just about ready to make a purchase. Can you be more specific about what disappointed you? How was the whale watching boat? How "accessible" would the trip be for someone who has sore hips or knees and can't walk comfortably for more than 200 yards or so?

Thank you for any additional information you can provide.

"Shore Excursion Group" is a booking agent- not a tour operator, which I never recommend using in Alaska. Always superior booking direct with the vendors.

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises, they have excellent boats and do provide a Mendenhall pick up/drop off service for a fee. IF you wish additional time, then use the shuttle bus in the other direction. The benefit is having the transfer between the whale watch and Mendenhall, especially with some of NCL's half day port schedules.

Hello, we will be in Juneau on a Norwegian ship in June. We would like to do a combination Mendenhall/whale watching excursion. Would anyone have any private tour operator recommendations? I saw a tour from Shore Excursion Group but don't know anything about them. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

We used Harv n Marv Whale Watching Tour, they were amazing. The whole tour was full of excitement. We saw many humpbacks bubble feeding. Our Captain was the Daughter of Harv or Marv and was the loveliest person. Excellent value for money and only 6 passengers on our boat so no crowding when trying to watch the whales. I would highly recommend and cannot say enough good things about them.

Edited by scarlettdolphin
Typing error

Is that the same as Juneau Whale Watch? We have our tour booked with them because of the number of people we have we could not fit in with the smaller boats. I hope not as the family looked to me to book and I really wanted Harv and Marv but they couldn't accommodate our group size.

We used Harv & Marv last week and it was tremendous. Liz was our captain and she was excellent. The tour last 4.5 hours. Bus picks you up at ship, takes you to boat. At conclusion of whale watching bus takes you to glacier. You can spend longer at the glacier if you wish and take the shuttle back for a small fee.

I just used Orca Enterprises and they were great. They have a Mendenhall/whale watch combo package too. Very organized company. The main guy who runs the company has been in the waters for years. The boat that I was was not crowded, had decks top and bottom for viewing. I know this is hard to believe, but the whales do know his boat. The whale watch that I went to, a baby whale came right up to the boat. It was almost if the mother whale told the baby to go investigate our boat. Once I download all my photos, I will come back and post it. He is straight forward in telling you they don't breach here in Alaska, they are here mostly to feed.

I just used Orca Enterprises and they were great. They have a Mendenhall/whale watch combo package too. Very organized company. The main guy who runs the company has been in the waters for years. The boat that I was was not crowded, had decks top and bottom for viewing. I know this is hard to believe, but the whales do know his boat. The whale watch that I went to, a baby whale came right up to the boat. It was almost if the mother whale told the baby to go investigate our boat. Once I download all my photos, I will come back and post it. He is straight forward in telling you they don't breach here in Alaska, they are here mostly to feed.

Yep- the breeching is a rare event, and if you see it in Alaska, (does happen), consider it a gift. :)

Someone said Harv and Marv are soldout for June? Since I'll be there early September I checked for myself. I see June as totally available- NOT soldout. There are a couple days in June when they cannot accommodate 4 or 6 people, but most days they can- and only totally sold out on June 16 or 29. Maybe they added a boat?

We did Alaska mid to late June, 2012 (over summer solstice) aboard RCCL Radiance OTS. Those who did the whale watching in Juneau, saw whales with calves. We did whale watching in Icy Strait(sp) and saw dozens of whales, although no calves. Our tours were through Royal Caribbean, maybe more expensive, but we saw a lot of whales up close, so I can't complain.

I'm in total angst about HarvandMarv vs Orca enterprises. I just want to be sure I will have plenty of time at the Glacier. Harv and Marv drop you off there around 6 after the shuttles have stopped. I don't mind calling for a cab but is it still light enough to do the glacier stuff that late, and also…will I get eaten by a bear or something if we are the last people up there late? I have a lot of anxiety for an adventurer ;)

I'm in total angst about HarvandMarv vs Orca enterprises. I just want to be sure I will have plenty of time at the Glacier. Harv and Marv drop you off there around 6 after the shuttles have stopped. I don't mind calling for a cab but is it still light enough to do the glacier stuff that late, and also…will I get eaten by a bear or something if we are the last people up there late? I have a lot of anxiety for an adventurer ;)

When is your trip????