Boarding and exiting the ship at port

bigxblue

How long does it take to leave and board the ship when you at ports? We are cruising on the Oasis of the Seas in June and it will be our first cruise. I'm looking to plan my own activities at each port but don't know how long it will take to get off the ship and get back on. We will be in Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Martin.

Also what is the taxi situation like at port? Is it foolish of me to expect that there will be cabs readily available in each port to take me where I may want to go (straw market, Megan's Bay, etc.)?

When the ship docks, it must then be cleared by local authorities. This usually takes 15 to 30 minutes. Then people can get off. There is usually a lineup at the exit with people waiting to get off. It usually takes 30 minutes or so for the initial rush to clear. After that you can just walk off at your leisure.

As to getting back on. Most of the day you can just walk onto the ship with little or no wait. When several buses of excursions return together, then there will be a delay

One nice day we were docked across from the Oasis of the Seas as she pulled-up in Crown Bay, St Thomas. Once the ship was cleared (about 30 min) they started disembarking from a single exit and quickly opened up a 2nd gangplank. Sitting on our smaller ship's balcony and watching was kind of like watching Noah's Ark except that the animals were passengers. It does take some time to get over 5,000 souls off any ship and much is up to you since its first come-first serve.

As to taxis, in St Thomas you will dock at the Crown Bay (the old sub base) facility and there is a small shopping area adjacent to the pier. There are plenty of taxis in St Thomas and many are larger vehicles that provide shared transportation for a fixed published price. As to St Maarten (one of our favorite Caribbean Islands) you are docked in a huge cruise ship port with a an adjacent expansive shopping area. Once you get to the terminal building area there will be folks trying to get your business which include plenty of taxis (and larger vehicles like on St Thomas) with shared rates. If you simply want to go into Phillipsburg there is a very efficient water taxi system (just follow the signs) which are actually large boats (over 100 folks) that take you across the bay to downtown. You can also walk downtown which takes about 15 min. As to Nassau, DW and I would not bother getting off the ship, but you can walk through the strawmarket and downtown if you please. We would bet that if Havana, Cuba ever opens as an allowable cruise port the port of Nassau will be an empty place.

Hank

When they open the door...walk off. If you don't have to be 1st off...wait for any crowds to thin, then walk off. Getting back on the ship is like walking into a hotel...just walk on when you're ready.

If you can wait about 30 mins. after they give the all clear to leave, just walk off...taxis are avail, if needed..research your ports so you know where things are!!!

Folks will be leaving and returning all day long...It's all very simple and easy.

I'm guessing all of these ports (we've been to two of them back in 2001 so it's been awhile) are docking ports. If so, then I would go along with what the others have said. If you don't like waiting in lines (my hubby hates this), you can wait an half hour after the announcement (I would guess your captain or an officer would announce the ship has been cleared for passengers to go ashore) and then be able to just go off the ship without long lines. Remember, many others want to get off the ship immediately too, and may have gotten to the indicated gangway very early.

If you have any tender ports (something to remember for future cruises), your ship will anchor away from the pier and passengers will go on tender boats to get to shore. Some passengers will get priority for the early tenders (those on ship-booked excursions, with high category cabins, maybe even top level of loyalty status). Otherwise, there will be a place indicated in the daily newsletter for getting a numbered ticket. But if you wait a while, you can just go straight to the gangway without a ticket and get on a tender right away.

For returning to the ship, there will be a time indicated in the newsletter and at the gangway to be back on the ship. This is usually an half hour before sailaway. Don't be late as the captain can decide to leave on time whether or not all passengers are on board. Have a reliable watch or two that you check against the ship's clock, bring the newsletter with.

Taxi drivers will know which days ships are in port.

You can certainly research ports ahead of time. Get phone numbers of local cab companies just in case you need to call for one. Check google maps to see how far away you are from the sights you want to see. There are plenty of tourism sites for each port that will help you with ideas of things to do and see.

One thing to remember, Whenever you disembark at each port you need to bring your ship issued key card with you. The card will be scanned as you leave the ship showing that you're now not on board. Scanned again when you return to let the ship know you're back. Depending on the port you also might need your govt. issued photo i.d..

One thing to remember, Whenever you disembark at each port you need to bring your ship issued key card with you. The card will be scanned as you leave the ship showing that you're now not on board. Scanned again when you return to let the ship know you're back. Depending on the port you also might need your govt. issued photo i.d..

They will not let you leave the ship w/o it so forgetting it is not a real worry.

DON