Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Wow , you have Alaska in a couple of weeks ? We'll trade the Caribbean for Alaska ! Look for flash sales in hurricane season , sometimes low prices are very convincing ! WDW tomorrow and surf lessons for the grandsons in Typhoon Lagoon Tuesday morning @ 5 AM :eek: :):D

5AM surf lessons?! :eek: I knew they started those early, but I didn't know it was THAT early!

Have a great time at WDW with the grandsons. :cool:

We have become spoiled in our old age , love the warm , clear water .

Us, too! :D

5AM surf lessons?! :eek: I knew they started those early, but I didn't know it was THAT early!

Have a great time at WDW with the grandsons. :cool:

Us, too! :D

You are in our thoughts and prayers for a successful and pain free surgery ! ;)

After working up an appetite walking the beaches of Bermuda , our hearts , minds (and stomachs) turned toward our next meal . After all , we are seasoned cruisers . Chatting with some locals on the bus , we found a place that we wanted to try for lunch . The Spot has been around for 70 years , so they must be doing something right ! After exiting the bus downtown , we asked an older lady to help us find the Spot . She then went out of her way to walk us to where we were going . That was so nice ! :) It's kind of a nondescript place that we probably would have walked past if we were not looking for it .

IMG_5261_zpsn1z9kayr.jpg

It's a diner like I fondly remember from my childhood , but no longer exists in the area where we live .

DSC02365_zpsfmngogtu.jpg

We were here to try the national dish of Bermuda , fish chowder .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_fish_chowder

DSC02367_zpswttgsegg.jpg

After lunch was delivered to our table , we were greeted by a man holding a bottle of Sherry Peppers Sauce to go with the chowder . The man was Ted Powell , who has owned the Spot since 1971 .

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120118/BUSINESS03/701139921/-1

I thought that I would need more than soup so I ordered a Cajun fish wrap .

DSC02366_zpsr7huzaua.jpg

The wrap was very good , but the chowder was great ! And so was the Sherry Pepper Sauce !

Patty , hitting the sauce early !

DSC02368_zpsxqfy7kea.jpg

After trying the chowder - I wished that I had order it . I offered my opinion to Ted on how to become rich . Bottle the chowder as a hot sauce with different levels of heat . To me , a good hot sauce should be hot and spicy - but , more importantly , great flavor . And the chowder has great flavor . He modestly replied that his cook does a great job . But again , so does Ted and his staff !

Edited by scubacruiserx2

That chowder looks wonderful....I always prefer the "red" chowder, am sure I would have loved it.

We stopped at a little restaurant on that first day in Bermuda too in a little village, had the most wonderful fish sandwiches on toasted raisin bread....there were 8 of us and we all kind of raised our eyebrows at the idea but we all ordered them and they were excellent!!! Now I want to go back and have some of that chowder!!!:D

That chowder looks wonderful....I always prefer the "red" chowder, am sure I would have loved it.

We stopped at a little restaurant on that first day in Bermuda too in a little village, had the most wonderful fish sandwiches on toasted raisin bread....there were 8 of us and we all kind of raised our eyebrows at the idea but we all ordered them and they were excellent!!! Now I want to go back and have some of that chowder!!!:D

Sounds like a good reason to plan another TA ! We loved that we had an overnight in Bermuda , one of the main reasons that we chose it over the Silhouette . :) :D

Sounds like a good reason to plan another TA ! We loved that we had an overnight in Bermuda , one of the main reasons that we chose it over the Silhouette . :) :D

The Caribbean cruises from Celebrity have all seemed to have gained overnighters as well, must be a new trend to allow passengers extra time in port.:D

OMG those sandwiches were wonderful weren't they? My taste buds just went right back to Bermuda when my eyes read your post Jeanne. I really want some of that bread. I don't really like fish but I did have some Whole foods Clam chowder tonight...Love the stuff.

Denise

After lunch we took a walk around the city . This is the birdcage where a Bobbie usually directs traffic .

IMG_5263_zpsktmyktzq.jpg

A park

IMG_5266_zpsw5iarsfp.jpg

IMG_5267_zpsbnvo2bb3.jpg

And at the town hall , where there was a Town Crier competition

IMG_5270_zpsevcwm4rh.jpg

Video clip:

One of the Town Criers .

IMG_5273_zpspnmtzdsm.jpg

We had hoped to ride the bus to the far tip at St. George's , but it stopped at a hotel .

IMG_5287_zpswozmdvoj.jpg

After waiting awhile we noticed that some storm clouds were gathering so we headed back to the Crystal Caves .

IMG_5282-001_zpsqmvnfs80.jpg

Pat had wanted to go here so we began the descent

IMG_5296-001_zpsqr4l8vy3.jpg

The cave was beautiful and constantly dripped water

DSC02383_zpsyjlcsgft.jpg

We moved along a narrow walkway that required periodic ducking

4a1072d1-4361-474c-9f9a-84862d405c3e_zps0gkotzco.jpg

The guide shown his flashlight on the base of a pillar at the bottom of the crystal clear water . It's about 40' deep !

DSC02379_zpswof9jwlk.jpg

Heres a video clip:

Edited by scubacruiserx2

After waiting awhile we noticed that some storm clouds were gathering so we headed back to the Crystal Caves .

The cave was beautiful and constantly dripped water

DSC02383_zpsyjlcsgft.jpg

We moved along a narrow walkway that required periodic ducking

4a1072d1-4361-474c-9f9a-84862d405c3e_zps0gkotzco.jpg

The guide shown his flashlight on the base of a pillar at the bottom of the crystal clear water . It's about 40' deep !

DSC02379_zpswof9jwlk.jpg

The pics in the cave have come out spectacularly, great shots.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

After returning to the surface , we noted that it was still raining and headed for a bus stop to return to the city for a ferry ride back to the ship . The bus felt full with mostly tourists until we stopped at a local school . Video clip:

At the end of the video we could see this cricket player waiting for his ride home . We're surprised that the photo thru the window turned out

IMG_5316_zpsnvg63ifd.jpg

The ferry terminal

IMG_5322_zpsb5ayfypa.jpg

Front Street , Hamilton

IMG_5320_zps27wtymr1.jpg

Leaving the terminal

IMG_5333_zps62n1xohw.jpg

As we left Hamilton , we saw this beautiful American sailboat .

IMG_5342_zpsmidtbvp2.jpg

And some amazing houses .

IMG_5346_zps6j73xqyq.jpg

After returning to the surface , we noted that it was still raining and headed for a bus stop to return to the city for a ferry ride back to the ship . The bus felt full with mostly tourists until we stopped at a local school . Video clip:

At the end of the video we could see this cricket player waiting for his ride home . We're surprised that the photo thru the window turned out

IMG_5316_zpsnvg63ifd.jpg

The ferry terminal

IMG_5322_zpsb5ayfypa.jpg

Front Street , Hamilton

IMG_5320_zps27wtymr1.jpg

Leaving the terminal

IMG_5333_zps62n1xohw.jpg

As we left Hamilton , we saw this beautiful American sailboat .

IMG_5342_zpsmidtbvp2.jpg

And some amazing houses .

IMG_5346_zps6j73xqyq.jpg

Boy do I miss Bermuda, and you are not making it any better! LOL

Yes photos are good memory joggers for us as well. We make photo books and put a select number into them from our travels (so we have hard copies), otherwise they get stored on a hard drive or on the PC and you never get to see them. The other reason is what do you do if the PC breaks down or technology moves on. Anyway, our books from the African trip have just come back and they look awesome, even if I do say myself.:D

Yes photos are good memory joggers for us as well. We make photo books and put a select number into them from our travels (so we have hard copies), otherwise they get stored on a hard drive or on the PC and you never get to see them. The other reason is what do you do if the PC breaks down or technology moves on. Anyway, our books from the African trip have just come back and they look awesome, even if I do say myself.:D

We would love to see them . Who do you use and recommend ?