Devices for WiFi on the ships ......

sail7seas

Has anyone used a Surface Pro on the ships? Any problems connecting?

I'm thinking of buying one. My old Acer I always traveled with is Windows XP and it's time for something new. I don't want an IPad or simply a tablet. I like the set up of attachable/removable keyboard on the Surface Pro..

Thanks if you can help.

I used to take an Acer, (mainly to use to read books and play sudoku), now I have an ipad, a hand-me-down from DD, but she has a new ipad with a detachable keyboard which she loves. I'm not sure what number it is. Have you looked at them?

Thanks, but I really don't want an IPad. I'm hoping someone can help me regarding the Surface Pro. I like the size, weight, set up of it. I can use it as a tablet when I want but I think I'll use it more with attached keyboard. It all depends the sort of things each of us do with our devices.

I've never used a Surface Pro but wireless protocols are standard, and Microsoft's hardware and drivers are generally pretty robust. Any modern device with a wireless card will connect to existing protocols, whether on a cruise ship or a corner Starbucks.

I don't have the Surface Pro, but I have the Surface 2 with the attachable keyboard. I am planning to take it with me on my next cruise rather than the laptop because of all the things you are looking at, mainly the weight, size, portability, set up. I thought I would use it more with the keyboard, but I actually don't. However, the keyboard does come in handy at time.

I've never had trouble connecting except in a few restaurants with wifi who tell me their system is bad. I've connected in airports, hotels, fast food places, conference halls, business meetings, etc with no problem. I would think it would be similar on the ship.

Debbie

It is easy to learn. I went to the Microsoft store to buy mine and they helped me get it all set up, email included, before I left the store. They'll give you the crash course in how to use it and then just play with it. I love mine and take it everywhere. The laptop is just a back up now.

You should be fine. You might want to practice with it a while before you travel. The user interface will take a little getting used to because it's so different from what you are used to. You can actually make the new version of Windows look like Windows 7 (which is kinda sorta close to XP) if you want.

For what it's worth, I would get one in a heartbeat if I were in the market for a convertible.

Thanks, but I really don't want an IPad. I'm hoping someone can help me regarding the Surface Pro. I like the size, weight, set up of it. I can use it as a tablet when I want but I think I'll use it more with attached keyboard. It all depends the sort of things each of us do with our devices.

You can get a keyboard for an iPad, plus it will sync up with an iPhone:)

Edited by Jade13

What is the down side to getting a Surface Pro? Seems most are trying to talk me out of that device. Why is an iPad a better choice? As to syncing with an iPhone, Jade, I don't have or want one. I truly have no use for a iPhone. My flip phone :o meets my scant needs. Only my DH even had that number and now he's gone so no one has that number. I never have it turned on unless I want to make a call.

What makes a Surface Pro tablet less than any other tablet?

Edited by sail7seas

Go to a store and try different devices, if you think you like the Surface Pro pick it up and play with it, ask questions about pros and cons of different tablets. Only you can decide what you like best.

I love my Kindle, other people love their ipads or Nooks. Only I can decide what is best for me, which I did by trying my choices in my hands, carrying them into the sun and then buying what I wanted.

DD has a surface Pro. She brought it to Australia last year and used it on the small boat on the Great Barrier Reef for the week. She did not bring it on the Westerdam but only because DH brought his work computer. Her only complaint is that she still doesn't know everything it does.

I have a surface pro and love it. I also have an IPAD air that I received when I retired last year. I prefer the IPAD for reading books but when love the surface for internet, financial stuff, and general files etc. i travel with the Ipad unles its over 14 days then it's the surface pro

I have to learn how to download books on it. I have no clue. :o

Thanks for the comments here. Very helpful. I was at the store, sampled it, held it, like it........ :)

What is the down side to getting a Surface Pro? Seems most are trying to talk me out of that device. Why is an iPad a better choice? As to syncing with an iPhone, Jade, I don't have or want one. I truly have no use for a iPhone. My flip phone :o meets my scant needs. Only my DH even had that number and now he's gone so no one has that number. I never have it turned on unless I want to make a call.

It's actually MORE than most other tablets because it's an actual computer. It will also run all your old software (Surface Pro only, not Surface Amateur.) Apple tends attract some very loyal fanboys and fangirls. If you want a Surface Pro, get one. It's a very good machine.

Edited by POA1

This may sound silly but since you have a local store they probably have someone who will teach you how to use the features that you are interested in. I have friends who will take lessons whenever they get a new smart phone. We're at an age where it is hard to just figure stuff out by trial and error.

It's actually MORE than most other tablets because it's an actual computer. It will also run all your old software (Surface Pro only, not Surface Amateur.) Apple tends attract some very loyal fanboys and fangirls. If you want a Surface Pro, get one. It's a very good machine.

Thank you, POA. An endorsement from you means a lot. :) Greatly appreciated.

This may sound silly but since you have a local store they probably have someone who will teach you how to use the features that you are interested in. I have friends who will take lessons whenever they get a new smart phone. We're at an age where it is hard to just figure stuff out by trial and error.

Of course, I'll seek help learning how to use a new device. I am blessed to have a wonderful 'tech guy' who is generous with his assistance. When I say I'll have to learn, I mean I will have someone teach me. :)

I have a iPad and a Windows based smart phone. I can't tell you how much I hate that phone. It's so difficult to use. The iPad is much easier to use but it had a learning curve. I've always used windows in the workplace so it's not like I'm not familiar with it. I'd pick an iPad over a Windows based anything. That's my personal choice. I'm not trying to change your mind.

Edited by cruz chic

Just curious--why the Surface Pro over the Surface 3? Have you asked about the differences for your needs? Is this replacing your primary computer or just your "travel toy" I am asking with respect, because I may need a new "travel toy" but am trying to figure out if I need to spring for the price difference (my tech guy says probably not)

I don't think we are to talking you out of "Surface Pro". Most of us own Apple's iPad or Samsung Galaxy Note/Pad or Amazon's Kindle and they're not familiar with Microsoft Surface Pro. I've Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition) and I love it. I don't plan to replace it with a new one until it breaks.

I checked Microsoft website and the Surface Pro and the spec looks pretty good. If you know how to use Windows 8 or 8.1 OS system, you'll be okay. I still have a PC with Windows 7 and DW has a laptop with Windows 8. I don't like her Windows 8 at all.

One of the Surfaces should be a good choice. DD takes her very small netbook (with Windows) on cruises and that works fine for both of us. The Surface should be even slightly easier for travel. We leave our laptops at home, but do also take our Nook tablets. We can go online with tablets, but a Surface or small netbook just works much better for us.

Edited by Jemima

I I still have a PC with Windows 7 and DW has a laptop with Windows 8. I don't like her Windows 8 at all.

Do an Internet search for:

How to run Windows 8 in Windows 7 mode.

The big draw for a Surface Pro versus a regular Surface machine is that the Pro is backwards compatible with all your old Windows software. With a regular Surface, you need new software from the app store. This applies to all the Surface machines, regardless of the number.

One very, very important piece of advice: The Type Cover is far more usable than the Touch Cover. I'm very, very picky about my keyboards (IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad for me.) I've tried the two different Surface keyboards, and I wouldn't consider anything other than Type.

I think that the tablet people are missing the fact that you're replacing a computer. A tablet just doesn't cut it for serious work. (If you tell me that it does, I'll just figure your not running serious, big boy applications. ;) ) I think tablets have their place, but if you want one device and you're replacing a PC, I believe you're making the right choice.