Does port or starboard make a huge difference?

xiaoshira

First time cruiser, I am going on a cruise through the western Mediterranean - MSC Fantasia leaving from Genoa, going south, then east, then north, then west again. I am booked on a high deck cabin on the starboard side, but it looks like the port views might be a bit better. Should I try to switch? Or does it not matter much? I also don't know about things like wind.

Thanks!

First time cruiser, I am going on a cruise through the western Mediterranean - MSC Fantasia leaving from Genoa, going south, then east, then north, then west again. I am booked on a high deck cabin on the starboard side, but it looks like the port views might be a bit better. Should I try to switch? Or does it not matter much? I also don't know about things like wind.

Thanks!

I don't think it matters.

90% of the time when the ship is moving it is out of sight of land, so it really doesn't matter which side you are on. 90% of the time when the ship is docked most passengers are out of their cabins, so it really doesn't matter.

If you want to spend a lot of time on your balcony while the ship is in port or sailing into or out of port the views might be a little different on one side or the other but except for when you are tied up at the pier the ocean looks the same on either side of the ship.

Thanks!

Depending on if the ship pulls into port bow first, or backs in aft first, will determine what you'll see on each side. In a way, it's like when you're on an airplane. If you're seated on the left side, you won't see what's on the right side, and vice-versa. However, on a ship, if you're up on the Lido deck, you can always walk from one side to the other. As to the wind, if it's windy on one side, it'll be windy on the other side too. And the water looks pretty much the same on both sides.:rolleyes: So to answer your question, it doesn't really matter too much. It's all a matter of personal preference.

It doesn't matter much horizontally (port or starboard side), but it DOES matter vertically. In other words, if you have a balcony, just make sure you get a cabin ABOVE the water line.

:D

Don't laugh, when I booked our imminent cruise, my DFF (who in fairness, has never cruised before) asked me if our cabin was above the water line, ostensibly so she could, you know, SEE things. I had to remind her we were getting one with a balcony... And yes, I almost told her it wasn't (but this is someone I'm hoping to cruise with again, so figured there was no point in cutting off my current nose to spite my future face).

Edited by Chunder Worthy

While it may not matter to some...for some reason I tend to book portside after 20+ cruises I have no idea why other than when I have booked starboard something just seemed off/backwards :confused::confused: JMHO :)

I guess it does matter depending on whether you are right or left handed :). But seriously, having spent several years on ships (as passengers) we have only found a couple of reasons to choose one side or the other. 1. When you have a balcony cabin you might prefer to have the sun in the morning or afternoon. For example, DW and I often have breakfast on our balcony and do not want the full sun in our eyes. But in the afternoon we love to watch the sunsets from our own balcony. 2. Some cruise lines allow smoking on one side of the ship in certain areas. So if you above a promanade where they allow smoking on a certain side you might prefer to book a cabin on the opposite side.

Hank

Thanks!

Does a "south, then east, then north, back west" from Genoa mean you are visiting Venice? If so. you might want to be on starboard side, if you wish to view sail in from your balcony. That said, you are better off on an open deck for viewing.

If you are heading to Kotor - port side is more interesting for sail in. Valetta is better on starboard.

Does a "south, then east, then north, back west" from Genoa mean you are visiting Venice? If so. you might want to be on starboard side, if you wish to view sail in from your balcony. That said, you are better off on an open deck for viewing.

If you are heading to Kotor - port side is more interesting for sail in. Valetta is better on starboard.

But as long as you are going to leave port with the ship, going out will provide what you may have missed going in.

But as long as you are going to leave port with the ship, going out will provide what you may have missed going in.

True...but without the same excitement. Everyone talks about the sail in to Venice, but the sail out is old hat once you've had feet on the ground in St. Mark's. :). Personally, it doesn't matter to us, because we'd rather be on deck with 360 views on an important sail in.

On most of the cruises it really doesn't matter which side you are on. Some have preference when doing a full Panama transit but that relates more to the sun than anything. Others will argue port is better in Alaska for the glacier viewing...but if you really want to see the glaciers you need to be out on deck and moving around. Arguably the starboard side is better for entering Venice, perhaps leaving Southampton or entering Gibraltar from east to west.

Thanks!

I looked at it carefully for our upcoming trip to the Southern Caribbean. Going south, we have a sea day, have a port day, a sea day and then two port days. We go north on our last two days are at sea, and I wanted to make sure we could see sunsets on those days from our balcony, so we picked port side. Check out your itinerary and map. Then decide what you want to look at. Have fun.