What is the weather like in Dec in Caribbean?

I just found a cruise to Nassau and Labadee for Dec 2016. My son wants to go to Atlantis. I think he would love Labadee too and is at the right age for the zipline, coaster, etc.

The cruise is The Oasis also and I have been wanting to do Oasis class!

All this to say: What is the weather like in Dec at these 2 ports. Is it worth the time and cash to do it at this time? Thanks for any input!:)

I have been to the Bahamas five or six times in December. I have found the weather very nice although the ocean is a little chilly for me (pools were nice, though).

Exactly! Our December cruise to Nassau the air temp was lovely but the ocean was cool. If you're looking at Atlantis, it should be great.

We always cruise during dec because theres a pricing sweet spot between thanksgiving and Christmas. 2 out of 3 trips, weather has been perfect (for me, anything above 72 when the sun is out is hot). 1 trip it was overcast and a little chilly in a couple ports, but overall, it's a great time to go. (I never experienced that the ocean was too chilly, but after leaving 10 degree weather, it doesn't take too much to feel warm)

Nassau temps are pretty close to mid-south Florida temps. The Bahamas aren't in the Caribbean, but east/southeast of Southern Florida. Humidity will probably be low. We've been to Labadee and Nassau in March, April, October and November and temps really do vary, but it won't be "cold". Farther south in the Caribbean stays consistently warm year round as you're closer to the equator.

I just found a cruise to Nassau and Labadee for Dec 2016. My son wants to go to Atlantis. I think he would love Labadee too and is at the right age for the zipline, coaster, etc.

All this to say: What is the weather like in Dec at these 2 ports. Is it worth the time and cash to do it at this time? Thanks for any input!:)

We have been on a number of December cruises. Some had great weather, but a couple of times, we've been hit with cooler weather. Basically, make sure you are further south than Key West to avoid a chance for cold weather.

We have had two cruises where a portion of the trip was cold. The first was a Western Caribbean tour and it was great until we crossed a cold front at Key West on the way back. After that, temps were in the upper 50's and it felt really cold with the wind. It was too rough to go to Castaway Cay, so we docked in Freeport, but it was really too cold to enjoy the beach. When we docked in Port Canaveral, there were icicles on the buildings.

The last one was at New Year's and we crossed another cold front, this time just north of Cuba. Temps were in the 60's but there was a 15 mph headwind and the ship was moving 22 knots. They had to close some of the top/front decks because of the wind. It was bearable, but not warm.

Thanks for all the responses. I am a little nervous about the warmth. We could wait till the summer and do a 7 day on The Oasis. This cruise is a year and a half away so I can put some thought into it.

We live in San Antonio and wear shorts on Christmas Day a whole lot, but we dont swim. So, I am a bit nervous

My son just finished his Freshman year and he would be a junior on this trip. My husband and I want to take him to Atlantis as sort of a pre-graduation gift.

Edited by lrn2cruise

The weather in the CARIBBEAN is about the same year round. Bahamas and Bermuda are NOT in the Caribbean....they are in the Atlantic, and have weather similar to Florida...which can be affected by cold-fronts in the winter.

Cruiselline brochures would have you believe ANY island is the Caribbean...not so!

Edited by cb at sea

Hit or miss. I have sailed Nassau in December and had great weather and the Western Caribbean and had rain (last year). I would definitely sail in December (booked this year).