8:54 Arrival at Miami, leaving POM

leennp

Ok I know all the arguments on flying in early and have done so for every other cruise we have taken, but does not look possible for this trip, so I am looking at best options. I am thinking my best option is a direct flight from MSY to Miami, leaves at 6am, arrives 8:54, flight is August first. In looking through the history of this flight, historical on time departures is excellent, latest the flight has arrived in Miami is 10 for the past 6 months and that was once, all other departures within a 10 minute window of schedule. My thoughts are this is maybe even better than a late night departure with connection the day before, since thunderstorms at that time are more frequent, if that departure cancelled would maybe not get seat on flight for next morning since there are 5 of us? IF a hurricane is in either miami area or new orleans, quite frankly having a friday departure probably will not make a world of difference. And yes I have trip insurance....Specifically covers costs to catch up to ship.

Sounds like you have done your homework and understand the risks. I would research other flights in case something happens - I always like to be able to suggest "XYZ has a flight leaving in an hour" as an option.

Arriving at 9:00, by the time you collect bags and grab a cab should get you to POM about when check-in starts - you should be among the early birds on the ship and enjoying lunch and a DOD before noon! :D

Thanks for tip of looking for all the alternative flight options if we run into a problem. I made sure I booked the flights directly with the airline so rerouting might be easier than if we have used expedia or something. If you had five people arriving, would you be better off reserving something like John's Car service or are taxi vans readily available. Or should I plan to just book transfers with Carnival so our names are on their list if any delays happening?

Thanks for tip of looking for all the alternative flight options if we run into a problem. I made sure I booked the flights directly with the airline so rerouting might be easier than if we have used expedia or something. If you had five people arriving, would you be better off reserving something like John's Car service or are taxi vans readily available. Or should I plan to just book transfers with Carnival so our names are on their list if any delays happening?

A taxi van/SUV should fit 5 plus bags (unless some I your party pack like my wife :o) and will only cost $25+tip. Even if you need to split into two cabs I suspect it will still be cheaper and easier than any shuttle/car service/transfer bus.

Ok great information about the cab van, or two cabs begin better off than car service, so is flat $25 fee? I know when we took car service last time back from port of miami to FLL the problem is you have to wait and call them once you get off ship and through customs, they can't come through port til then and in interim he got stuck and traffic so we were stuck waiting for what we prearranged, while watching others be able to just hop into waiting taxi.