Pinnacle member attacked in Naples Italy

Just heard from a friend sailing on Allure out of Barcelona that a male Pinnacle member was attacked on the street 1 block from the ship in Naples Italy. 2 guys on a scooter cut him off and ripped his jewelry off while draging him down the road. I didn't find out his name, but was told that several police cars came out and he was taken to the hospital. I was told that he had blood all over his legs and hand from the road burn. Apparently this Pinnacle member has been on board for several weeks now since dry dock .

Security told my friend that this is a very common crime in Naples and a lot of people are starting to find out on the ship in the suite lounge since it just happened yesterday afternoon. Why do they even stop there if this crime is do out of control?

It's very shocking!

Very shocking indeed. We were in Naples just one week ago as a port of call, but headed out to Sorento, Positano, and Pompey. We did feel safe there, however incidents like the one you stated could happen anywhere and at any port of call. I am not sure if it out of control though like you ask, or just some random event that could happen on any given day. If ships stopped going to ports where theft occured then ships would stop nowhere.

One might ask, what was he wearing that drew the attention of the thieves? We left anything that draws attention on the ship in the safe, not to draw any added attention to us. The exact same way we would act in the Caribbean. The daily Compass also made note that guests should be mindful of theft in ports of call. By no means am I saying it was his fault. If he has been to Naples 3 or 4 times since drydock the people who mugged him might have discovered his habits and routines. Maybe it was just a one time poor timing situation for the victim. Unless they catch the thieves that did this we will never know, but if it becomes routine the police will be watching more carefully.

The fact that the guest was Pinnacle really makes no difference, as any cruiser who is mugged like this is unlucky. Hopefully they recover quickly from their physical and any emotional injuries.

Edited by A&L_Ont

The following is from the U.S. Dept. of State:

Overall Crime and Safety Situation

U.S. citizens are not known to experience large amounts of crime while visiting Italy and are less likely to be a victim of violent crime in Italy than in most large American cities.

Crime Threats

Crime in the southern consular district, and especially Naples, continues to be a persistent problem, though the incidence of violent crime falls within the medium-low spectrum in comparison to many major U.S. cities. Most crimes tend to be non-violent and directed toward obtaining property, such as by purse snatching, pickpocketing, and residential/vehicle break-ins. The Centro Storico (city center) has the highest incidence of these types of crimes.

A high degree of crime occurs in and around the tourist areas of Naples. Tourists often possess large quantities of cash and are usually distracted by the sites. Well-organized pickpocketing rings and other criminal elements operate intensely in tourist areas.

I feel for this person who was robbed. I would feel for them if they were any cruiser or tourist, or any local citizen for that matter. Unfortunately crime happens and some places are worse than others.:( Many travelers advise that when you are out and about on vacation don't wear jewelry or fancy watches, and try not to look like a tourist.

Edited by DirtyDawg

It's an old way of stealing. This happened to my aunt some 20 years ago in Molfetta, Bari, where she lived. My mom was visiting her from the States, and while the 2 were shopping some guys on a motor scooter grabbed my aunt's gold chain--thank God it broke, otherwise don't know what the consequences would have been.

Ps. When in any port(s), we carry as little noticeable items as we can. Don't want to attract anyone.

I just reported on what was told to me, so please don't read into the Pinnacle part as it would be terrible for anyone to experience this crime. So if I said it was a passenger, would I then have comments about why I mentioned a passenger?

I just reported on what was told to me, so please don't read into the Pinnacle part as it would be terrible for anyone to experience this crime. So if I said it was a passenger, would I then have comments about why I mentioned a passenger?

No, I think that when you introduced "Pinnacle" into the topic it comes across as them being special and nothing should happen to them. IMHO.

What is the significance of the man being a Pinnacle member? It would be an awful experience for any passenger or crew member.

As this is a cruise forum it would be expected for you to be referring to "passengers", but I think the poor mans C&a status is irrelevant.

Agreed. Why in the world is the passenger C&A status relevant. It is a wake up call to be careful in any city, foreign or otherwise.

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

I actually assumed that she included the pinnacle and b2b2b info to help give information incase others might have known him....Allure has many passengers - would be hard to guess who it was if it was just a male passenger?

Thanks for the report OP. I hope the man is okay.

I think mentioning Pinnacle is appropriate here as many people may know this person.

We got mugged in Naples when someone used some kind of knife to slash the backpack my husband was carrying in front of him. I was standing next to a woman who tried to go into my pockets. My son's pockets were emptied by someone but it was just a wad of paper he had folded up inside. Naples is the only city where I felt unsafe on our Med cruise.

I think you're ok if you do a private tour but walking around the city/taking public transportation is risky. We did not wear any jewelry, and carried few personal items. We were still targeted.

And we were hyper-vigilant. I saw some men watching us at the bus stop but I thought 'what can they do'. They are professional criminals.

Edited by marci22

What is the significance of the man being a Pinnacle member? It would be an awful experience for any passenger or crew member.

My first thought, when mention of Pinnacle, was he was likely 65 or older. I'm sure there is even a 30 year old Pinnacle wandering around on the ship so no bashing please.

I'm just saying I think the average age of a Pinnacle is probably 70. Now I do find it significant if the elderly are being attached, especially knocked down and dragged. We in our 60s have to be very careful not to break bones at this age. Plus I frequent the CL. I wondered if I might know who this is. So I'm glad the OP posted the victim was a Pinnacle.

I have had no troubles in Naples when I go there. We were with a passenger pre cruise in Barcelona where a fellow passenger while in Basilica of Montserrat listening to the boys choir, was wearing cargo shorts, US$500 + Passport slipped right out from his pocket without even knowing until it was too late.

My first thought, when mention of Pinnacle, was he was likely 65 or older. I'm sure there is even a 30 year old Pinnacle wandering around on the ship so no bashing please.

I'm just saying I think the average age of a Pinnacle is probably 70. Now I do find it significant if the elderly are being attached, especially knocked down and dragged. We in our 60s have to be very careful not to break bones at this age. Plus I frequent the CL. I wondered if I might know who this is. So I'm glad the OP posted the victim was a Pinnacle.

I have had no troubles in Naples when I go there. We were with a passenger pre cruise in Barcelona where a fellow passenger while in Basilica of Montserrat listening to the boys choir, was wearing cargo shorts, US$500 + Passport slipped right out from his pocket without even knowing until it was too late.

That thought also ran through my head.

Guys, let's not turn this into something that it wasn't intended to be. A man was robbed and hurt, and is probably very shaken up. :(

Wishful thinking on this site. Too many have their fingers cocked and ready to pounce. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. We all know crime can happen anywhere, and sometimes on vacation we let our guard down when we are looking at new sites and taking it all in. As others have mentioned JEWELRY! It's a great reminder to leave even the fake stuff on the ship as it might be mistaken for something of value. Our safety isn't worth it.

If anyone knows this man, please let him know thought and prayers are sent to him.

About 7 years ago when we were in Naples I talked to a man in the hot tub who was robbed of his Rolex watch that morning & he said I am a defense attorney & I donot know if I Can defend these SOB anymore.

I think that the OP was OK in mentioning that the passenger is a Pinnacle Club member. Many of us are older, and many of us have travelled the world, and most of us know that there are pickpockets, and trained thieves in places like Naples, Barcelona and other European cities, and know someone, or more than one fellow passenger that has been robbed in these locations.

Hopefully the passenger will recover 100 percent.

I also think that Cruise Critic is a great place to let others know what can happen when one wears jewelry when onshore. We learned a long time ago, to carry very little money, ID, and a credit card when ashore.

It's amazing, but Americans can be picked out in a foreign country, because of the clothes, and shoes we choose to wear. This story is a good reminder that we need to be careful of how we act and what we carry when in a foreign port, whether you are a first time cruiser, or more experienced.

Rick

Why do they even stop there if this crime is do out of control?

It's very shocking!

I'm off to read the entire thread, but my first reaction when reading the title and this sentence was, Now that it was a Pinnacle member something needs to be done. We can afford to lose a few golds! :rolleyes:

I never wear any jewelry when in any port of call. I never carry a purse. I have a very small wallet that I put in my front pocket that has my credit card, my driver's license and just the amount of cash I'm going to use that day. Also, my little wallet is snapped onto my belt so even if someone were to get their hand into my pants, it would be hard for them to grab my wallet and run. My Seapass card is on a lanyard inside my shirt.