Confused about getting from Genoa train station to port

xiaoshira

First ever cruise, arriving to the Genoa Principe by train from Milan.

I have seen mixed things, from walking distance to several km and need to take a cab. So what's the real answer?

Also, if we arrive at the train station at 10:40 AM, and ship leaves at 5 PM (it says check in is at 1 PM) should we try to store our luggage at the train station and grab lunch in Genoa, or just go straight for the ship?

Thanks for any assistance!

If check-in is 1 pm, check in then. You have only 2 hours between your train's punctual arrival and your check-in time. Check-in takes a while because they verify your paper work and take your photo. You will be issued theship's id card the size of a credit card. It is your room key and the card that will be scanned each time you enter and leave the ship.

After you have dropped off your luggage at the ship and are in possession of the ship id card, you can usually leave the ship again. You need to be back at least 30 minutes before the ship's leaving.

Sorry I don't know whether the port area is close to the train station and whether it is worthwhile going back into town. Some ports are way out in an industrial section others are right downtown. We never go back into town but rather have lunch, unpack, explore the ship, and get the lay of the 'land'.

I checked google maps. The train station Genova P. Principe is near a pier with a cruise ship. I did not zoom in enough to find out whether it is easy to cross the many roads that separate the multiple train tracks from the pier. Of course, I don't know if this will be your pier.

The train station is very close to the cruise port, we walked it but without luggage as it was a port day for us. With luggage I'd consider a taxi - it couldn't be more than 10 Euro for such a short journey and it would be worth it to me to avoid dragging my stuff (unless you travel with carry on only).

First ever cruise, arriving to the Genoa Principe by train from Milan.

I have seen mixed things, from walking distance to several km and need to take a cab. So what's the real answer?

Also, if we arrive at the train station at 10:40 AM, and ship leaves at 5 PM (it says check in is at 1 PM) should we try to store our luggage at the train station and grab lunch in Genoa, or just go straight for the ship?

Thanks for any assistance!

It is very easy to walk, even with luggage. Taxis are not very common in Genoa so they usually will be picky about which fares they will take/overcharge. It is not necessary to take a taxi even with luggage. The only thing is there are about 20 steps down but even that can be avoided by just following the road around. There are some restaurants near the train station if you wanted to grab lunch before heading to the ship. If you wanted to know where just let me know.

I'm attaching a map. 1 = Cruise ship terminal, 2 = steps mentioned above, 3= = side entrance to Principe station, 4 = main entrance to Principe station.

839639673_ScreenShot2014-12-09at23_44_25.jpg.77485c1454a684cd86ede6d66f13438d.jpg