Latest Azura cruise had topless sunbathing

seapals2

Those female passengers wanting to sunbathe topless are asked to utilise the designated area of the ship.

Details of the designated areas will feature in the Horizons newspaper.

This is the answer from the P&O website.

I never saw any mention of sunbathing regulations in my Horizon paper.

Anyone got a recent copy to check.

Now I just knew the guys were going to come up with the funny quips. My husband had much the same jokes. Would he want me to fling my top over the side .... Not in a million years ... For his eyes only! Bet some of you guys feel exactly the same. Have a laugh and a joke until the other half decides to fling caution to the wind and put them on show for the rest of the ship and crew.

The discussion just wouldn't be an issue on an American sailing ... Probably why we haven't come across it in the past. A lot of the Aussies think any sunbathing is just plain stupid ... Melanoma City was how we heard them refer to the lido deck ... No problem getting a sunbed on that sailing.

In my experience half the people in the pool area are topless. If it bothers you that much, don't go to the pool.

OH so good that was explained. I have paid for my cruise, but there are parts of the ship I must not go to...

I hope all of you desperate to throw your clothes off are going on my cruise to the article circle..oh sorry isn't it natural to throw your clothes off in the article circle....

Each to their own, freedom of choice and all that. Think if children are around then perhaps somewhere separate. If it's adults then we all have the choice to stay or walk away.

In a way some people find tattoos offensive[emoji15] doesn't mean they should cover them up.

In my experience half the people in the pool area are topless. If it bothers you that much, don't go to the pool.

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say "...if it bothers you that much don't go to the pool...", sounds exactly the sort of thing that would be said by a smoker justifying why everyone else is wrong and should put up with it because in "their" opinion it "doesn't hurt anyone"...

The right approach is for P&O to designate an area, but more importantly to follow that up by making it clear that an area has been designated and to politely remind those that don't follow the rules to cover up or move. Unfortunately two things are going to stop that idea working -

- pig headed passengers that will not follow the rules / guidance because they have paid for their cruise and know best

- P&Os track record of setting rules and not enforcing them (eg no jumping or diving in the pools)

Anyway, as far as potential issues goes, this is a great topic, and is far better that reading about: the food in the buffet; plated meals in the dining room; tips; the new livery; select v saver, and of course the loss of Adonia - well done for starting it....

Cheers

Topless bathing is legal on Aussie beaches and our cruise ships, commonly known as 'airing the white pointers.' LOL. So watch out for the Aussie white pointers on your ships, plenty doing Aurora/Oriana/Arcadia on World Cruise sectors into and out of Southampton.

Just received our excursion booklet for our cruise in July and having read the excursions for Vigo I would like to point out to the Prudes among you (you know who you are!!) that you should avoid the trip to Cies Island Nature Reserve as it plainly points out in the text "Please be advised that some beaches are 'clothing optional'". :eek:

Not just topless there then so you had best avoid it or there will be a few heart attacks!! :D

Me personally I always go topless and never worry about it!!! :cool:

Peter

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say "...if it bothers you that much don't go to the pool...", sounds exactly the sort of thing that would be said by a smoker justifying why everyone else is wrong and should put up with it because in "their" opinion it "doesn't hurt anyone"...

The right approach is for P&O to designate an area, but more importantly to follow that up by making it clear that an area has been designated and to politely remind those that don't follow the rules to cover up or move. Unfortunately two things are going to stop that idea working -

- pig headed passengers that will not follow the rules / guidance because they have paid for their cruise and know best

- P&Os track record of setting rules and not enforcing them (eg no jumping or diving in the pools)

Anyway, as far as potential issues goes, this is a great topic, and is far better that reading about: the food in the buffet; plated meals in the dining room; tips; the new livery; select v saver, and of course the loss of Adonia - well done for starting it....

Cheers

I think the half of those around the main pool to less may have been of the male variety.

Anyway with the designated area being on the very top of the ship by time most cruisers have got there they have forgotten why they were going in the first place. That's when they get a shock. :) :) :)

But this has been a good non story.

For those bored with the on board topless views I'd recommend when in Dubrovnik to hire a kayak. They are available just below the bridge that you enter for the old town.

Our Kayak instructor took us out and around an island a little way from the city walls. To our pleasant surprise (us guys anyway!) were numerous fully naked sunbathers.

Despite our efforts the tide just kept drawing us closer to them!

I think the half of those around the main pool to less may have been of the male variety.

Anyway with the designated area being on the very top of the ship by time most cruisers have got there they have forgotten why they were going in the first place. That's when they get a shock. :) :) :)

But this has been a good non story.

I would never have objected or started the thread had the topless ladies been on the very top deck ... Where the satellite balls are. (Never go up there) However .. There was a lady in the Retreat and several around the upper level of the pool area, one lady close to the bar on that deck. If P&O had any rules regarding designated deck areas no one was adhering to them and nobody was enforcing them. I'm sure there was nothing written in the Hozizon paper either.

It's been an interesting topic ... Raised some laughs along the way. With almost 3000 passengers there is always going to be differences of opinion.

No plans to cruise again with P&O, so for us it's not likely to be an issue in the future. When cruise prices fall so low they compare with cheap European hotel deals and offer such good value for money in comparison then the topless issue will keep arising, along with the beer bellies etc. Only one thing worse than an exposed beer belly is a sunburnt one! Luckily we didn't have to see the results of the topless sunbathing in the evenings.

Happy cruising ... With or without your tops.

I would never have objected or started the thread had the topless ladies been on the very top deck ... Where the satellite balls are. (Never go up there) However .. There was a lady in the Retreat and several around the upper level of the pool area, one lady close to the bar on that deck. If P&O had any rules regarding designated deck areas no one was adhering to them and nobody was enforcing them. I'm sure there was nothing written in the Hozizon paper either.

It's been an interesting topic ... Raised some laughs along the way. With almost 3000 passengers there is always going to be differences of opinion.

No plans to cruise again with P&O, so for us it's not likely to be an issue in the future. When cruise prices fall so low they compare with cheap European hotel deals and offer such good value for money in comparison then the topless issue will keep arising, along with the beer bellies etc. Only one thing worse than an exposed beer belly is a sunburnt one! Luckily we didn't have to see the results of the topless sunbathing in the evenings.

Happy cruising ... With or without your tops.

Why do you associate falling cruise prices with people who are going to sunbath topless and people with beer bellies?

You are obviously saying that it will attract less desirable people and as a result the women will wear very little and the men will drink until they burst.

Maybe you should only cruise with companies like Cunard who genuinely believe they are better than everyone else.

It's a fact of life that cruising is more popular than it's ever been and companies are building more ships with more capacity to fill. Therefore any company is going to make attractive offers to fill a ship rather than it sail with spare capacity especially as the market is so competitive. It's basic business sense and a fine balance between offering value and upsetting the loyal customers who have paid more.

For the record, I have a 'beer belly' and a tattoo, a football one at that! What gets on my nerves is that I am automatically classed as somebody who should be on benefits street and I'm not good enough to grace the same ship as some on here.

The truth is I'm a respected qualified professional who has worked hard since leaving school at 15 (my birthday is in August). I have never been on the dole and was proud that having been made redundant earlier in the year at short notice that I got a job straight away and never had to claim any benefits.

I am probably a better customer to P & O than most on here too as having 2 young children and restricted holidays I always have to book straight away and can never take advantage of these deals that are offered close to sailing. I also like a drink, hence the beer belly and spend quite a lot on board and often the waiters by the pool know my name, cabin number and drink. I am also polite, courteous and respect others but one thing I hate is people who stereotype you and think they are better than you.

And before anyone asks I do not just sit by the pool all day drinking as with 2 young children you can't do that as they always come first.

I know some people on here were just having a joke but you can tell by some posts that people are genuinely offended by people like me when they do not even know me. However I am safe in the knowledge that I am a better person both inside and out than those that judge me.

Rant over!

Cheers

You are assuming the topless sunbathers are breaking some rule. Is there a dress code for the pool area? How far are we going with this? Should there be a designated area for fat bald men in Speedos because you don't like to look at them?

More to the point, why is it okay for men to go topless and not women? Are you pro sex discrimination?

Some cruise lines require formal wear at their pools (as in the photo below) and some don't. If there is no dress code for the pool, then topless sunbathing is withing the rules.

RU_zps3a05da91.jpg

I have never seen any rule about whether you can sunbathe topless or not, mainly because I have never bothered to look.

As far as the poster above with a beer belly and a tattoo, I think all people were saying is they might not like to look at a beer belly, a tattoo or mountains of flesh hanging out of a bikini. they are all there, so bare boobs seem the same to me. If you don't like it, don't look.

"You are assuming the topless sunbathers are breaking some rule. Is there a dress code for the pool area? How far are we going with this? Should there be a designated area for fat bald men in Speedos because you don't like to look at them?

More to the point, why is it okay for men to go topless and not women? Are you pro sex discrimination?"

Interesting that you take this down to the "discrimination" level, when I am far from discriminating against topless (or other) sunbathing. Your statement / question about breaking rules is the main issue, and you seem to think that they are not breaking rules - I think this is all in the interpretation of what P&O state in their website, which is:

ImageUploadedByForums1434557495.585499.jpg.72da7dd6ab57a6435a0877dd50e91509.jpg

Which demonstrates that there quite clearly is a rule, it all comes down to where the designated area is - not my rules or any form of discrimination, just simply "the rules", as was mentioned early in the thread. Where would we be if everyone went around flouting the rules?

A lot of this is historical as female (as opposed to male) breasts were previously included in the legislation around public indecency, but of course this changed in the latest incarnation - it just takes a long time for us to catch up.

I have nothing against topless sunbathing, just people who put themselves and their "pastimes / habits / addictions" ahead of the comfort and wellbeing of those around them...

Let's all enjoy the fact that we are able to cruise, and enjoy cruising, there's plenty of room on the ships for everyone...

Hey Cuizer2

Where did you find that picture of me in my yellow and black speedos?

Get the feeling you are on our cruise in July ---- will look out for those speedos ----- :D:D;)

Ha ha, a very good point, nothing worse than a pair of budgie smugglers leaving nothing to the imagination. When I was on Azura - just the once - there was a bloke with an enormous belly, so big that you couldn't actually see the budgie smugglers, so he looked naked, worse still he had his pint of beer balanced on the belly. Lovely!!

When my daughter was about 6 she saw a man stood in the sea with just his very large beer belly sticking out over the water, she said to me (mummy you told me only ladies have babies) out of the mouths of babes!