Carnival Corp. Four New Ships

landnsea

Ugh. :o

The only thing I can say is if they do build one for Princess, putting it in Asia is fine with me - maybe we can get Diamond or Sapphire back (or both for the size of the newbuild).

Edited by bdjam

I do understand it business but on the same hand, do you really think you can get 6000 persons on one ship that sails several times a week for 6 - 9 months? Mathematically it seems to me they would run out of customers and not be able to fill the ship.

Lower berth capacity will be 5000. With possible 3rd and 4th passengers the capacity will be 6600.

RCI has no problem filling their Behemoth of the Sea and Displacement of the Sea and doing so at premium prices.

These ships have a lower berth capacity of 5400 and a total passenger capacity of 6296, not that different from the CCL Corp. announced builds.

It seems as if ships this size would have to be built as a direct, full-frontal assault an the Oasis Class ships, complete with all the "entertainment" that those ships have to offer. If this is the case, then PCL and HAL are out of the running. This is not their target demographic. Carnival, Costa and P&O would be the likely choices.

Or.....They could build one for Seabourn so that the "2%" could all take vacations at the same time!!

Edited by JimmyVWine

Two ships will sail under Carnival Cruise Line the other two will go to other not yet announced Carnival Corp. cruise lines.
I didn't see anything in any of the three articles I read that two we're going to Carnival Cruise Lines. All of the articles, including Porthole, say that two are going to AIDA, two are undetermined. Where did you read that two were sailing for Carnival Cruise Lines?

Lower berth capacity will be 5000. With possible 3rd and 4th passengers the capacity will be 6600.

RCI has no problem filling their Behemoth of the Sea and Displacement of the Sea and doing so at premium prices.

These ships have a lower berth capacity of 5400 and a total passenger capacity of 6296, not that different from the CCL Corp. announced builds.

Yes, but the Allure/Oasis ships are 225,000 gross tons and these new Carnival ships are only 188,000. So, 25% smaller than the RCI ships but with a higher total capacity. Those are going to be some crowded ships. BTW, I sailed on Allure of the Seas and loved it. Never felt crowded, partly because they built facilities to handle the larger crowds in Ft Lauderdale and the few ports they sail to. Even on the ship the only time it felt crowded was after a show in the main theater.

Read again

"The company said two of the ships will be manufactured for AIDA Cruises at Meyer Werft's shipyard in Papenburg, Germany."

I didn't see anything in any of the three articles I read that two we're going to Carnival Cruise Lines. All of the articles, including Porthole, say that two are going to AIDA, two are undetermined. Where did you read that two were sailing for Carnival Cruise Lines?

Read again, this is what the OP posted.

Not quoting any article. Thank you.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'd bet that P&O Australia would be the other one. It'd be nice for them to get a new ship instead of Princess/HAL hand-me-downs... And that market is supposed to be growing too.

I very much doubt that. These ships are too big. Simply don't have a lot of places for them to dock. Ovation of the Seas itineraries were delayed because of issues with the NZ (Auckland port) which is not big enough to handle it unless it is berthed at Jellicoe Wharf which is a working port.

Yes, but the Allure/Oasis ships are 225,000 gross tons and these new Carnival ships are only 188,000. So, 25% smaller than the RCI ships but with a higher total capacity. Those are going to be some crowded ships. BTW, I sailed on Allure of the Seas and loved it. Never felt crowded, partly because they built facilities to handle the larger crowds in Ft Lauderdale and the few ports they sail to. Even on the ship the only time it felt crowded was after a show in the main theater.

Like the RCI big ships, these four new CCL Corp ships will have a limited number of ports they can go into. Their itineraries may get very boring for repeat passengers.

All the mainline cruise companies are moving to larger capacity ships. It is the inevitable business model. Smaller ships will make up a special niche market as they are sold off from the mainline cruise lines.

It's only inevitable if the cruising public buys cruises on these ships. Sooner or later the ships are going to be too big and either a major accident or just plain overcrowding will do them in. I don't think they can just continue to grow unchecked.

But as I say, it depends on the market balking on being a sardine in a ship. It's all about shareholder return and CEO bonus - if that's threatened the direction or newbuilds will change.

Edited by bdjam

I do understand it business but on the same hand, do you really think you can get 6000 persons on one ship that sails several times a week for 6 - 9 months? Mathematically it seems to me they would run out of customers and not be able to fill the ship.

Oasis & Allure EACH take 5,400 to 6,300 passengers each week on the same two itineraries and have been doing so for the last six years. That works out to 11,000 passengers per week times 300 weeks or 3,300,000 and Royal Caribbean hasn't run out of passengers yet.

One ship taking 6,000 a week for 50 weeks is only 300,000. Obviously Carnival thinks it can do it.

Edited by Cuizer2

Oasis & Allure EACH take 5,400 to 6,300 passengers each week on the same two itineraries and have been doing so for the last six years. That works out to 11,000 passengers per week times 300 weeks or 3,300,000 and Royal Caribbean hasn't run out of passengers yet.

One ship taking 6,000 a week for 50 weeks is only 300,000. Obviously Carnival thinks it can do it.

Many sail the the RCI ships for the ship, not the ports. That is why RCI can maintain high pricing on these ships 5.5 years after the first one was launched.

Only if the ship becomes the attraction will the new CCL Corp ships attract the numbers of passengers they want on an ongoing basis, at least in the US and Europe markets.

If Princess builds it, we'll book it. Think it's the way of the future and younger people want more options. We're in love with the Royal Princess and love all of the new additions and options that were available to us. Reflection of the Seas is truly magnificent and we both said that Princess needed to step up to keep our business. Then we sailed the new Royal and knew that Princess understood the new direction of cruising. Just our opinion.

If Princess builds it, we'll book it. Think it's the way of the future and younger people want more options. We're in love with the Royal Princess and love all of the new additions and options that were available to us. Reflection of the Seas is truly magnificent and we both said that Princess needed to step up to keep our business. Then we sailed the new Royal and knew that Princess understood the new direction of cruising. Just our opinion.

+1000

Finally, someone with a mind that is open to change!

There's a lot of "attrition" in the older demographic and if Princess doesn't adapt to change, there soon won't be enough folks left who want to sail on their ships.

Cruise lines already know what older generations of passengers desire & they are attempting to tap younger generations of passengers by turning ships into high tech floating resort hotels for active younger passengers.

Cruise lines have been hearing from current cruisers for over 15 years about their unhappiness with each new version of behemoth ships. Yet they are continuing to fill those ships with many who are unhappy about the increasing size of ships. I hesitated to sail the behemoth Grand Princess but discovered it felt less crowded than many of the older much smaller ships.

I am of the older generation of cruisers but prefer many of the newer options on Princess ships. Someday I may sail on RCCL's large ships & the primary negative comments I've read are that there are more extra fee options & there is not enough time to experience everything in only a week. ;)

Cruise lines are not building larger more technologically advanced behemoth ships for current cruisers but to attract the largely untapped generations of younger passengers. And based on most affordable mass market cruise lines new builds, they are much more concerned about attracting younger passengers for many decades to come even if many current passengers are unhappy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I very much doubt that. These ships are too big. Simply don't have a lot of places for them to dock. Ovation of the Seas itineraries were delayed because of issues with the NZ (Auckland port) which is not big enough to handle it unless it is berthed at Jellicoe Wharf which is a working port.

Maybe so, but we're talking years until these ships are launched. You never know... the wave of the future is larger ships. Ports will have to conform if they want to stay competitive.

Maybe so, but we're talking years until these ships are launched. You never know... the wave of the future is larger ships. Ports will have to conform if they want to stay competitive.

Ports don't need to conform. Cruising is not the only business they service.

Two weeks after announcing the deployment of the brand new Ovation of the Seas to Australia for five itineraries to New Zealand, Royal Caribbean has been faced with its first major obstacle -- Ports of Auckland has changed its plans to build a wharf big enough".

I believe RCL had to redo their plans and it stop at Tauranga instead. I think the other port that can handle its size is Port Chalmers outside of Dunedin.