Renting a Jeep in Cozumel

GaTechCruiser

Just so you know, most of the rental jeeps in Cozumel have had their 4 wheel drive shift linkage disconnected. This means that even though the jeep is a 4X4, you can't use 4 wheel drive because you can't shift into it. Stay on the paved roads and you will do fine. Stay off the sand "road" that goes north from Mezcalitos on the East side. You will get stuck if you go up that road. I speak from unfortunate personal experience. Other than that, you'll have a good time driving in Cozumel.

We rented a jeep at the pier. If you belong to any organizations that may provide discounts for car rental, bring the id card. My husband belongs to a professional organization and when he showed his id card we got a $10 discount.

I think our cost , rental of jeep with insurance was $65 not counting the extra gas we put in before bringing the jeep back.

If you want to go to several places, its definately cheaper than taxi fare.

We have actually rented a car twice in Cozumel from Alamo. Both times they have given us a jeep because even though the site lists a car, they only have jeeps. We paid $29 both times.

Yuo can rent a jeep for $65. Although if for some reason they have a car you could switch from a car to a jeep, they have plenty on any given day.

I really enjoyed riding around in the open jeep!!!

We used the jeep to go to Chaakanaab, Dzul Ha, Paradise Beach, and downtown. I would skip downtown, all the rest were worth it.

L.A.S.T.

If you're renting a jeep that you believe is a 4x4 on Cozumel you'd best pay attention to the previous post by Bruce R. He is correct about the absence of 4 wheel drive on rental jeeps and that can really get you into a jam if you are not careful where you elect to go.

We spent a week on Cozumel recently and took a "hosted" 4x4 to the wild side of the island. I'm happy we elected to pay the $80 to have our day over there with an experienced island resident. The weather that day was decidedly dicey and the road a complete mess, with puddles so deep the water came through the floorboards of the jeep. We needed four wheel drive and believe me, when you are off road on that side of the island you are wayyyyyy off road. We passed a lot of folks on that remote stretch of road struggling with their vehicles and not one of them looked to be a happy camper.

Forewarned is forearmed.:eek:

Archived