Epic day 8 Disembarkation

trfccruiser

Disembarkation Always a sad day.We opted for taking our own luggage off which means no last minute panics with who is wearing what tomorrow.We just picked up the colour labels with the time we wanted up from Guest Services.We chose 9 a.m. but we were called to say we could leave from 8.30,many had left the ship by then but our flight wasn’t until 11.10 so we were in no particular hurry.We had one last full breakfast at the Outdoors section and left wishing it was longer but having had a fabulous week.

Overall my thoughts:

-A really good cruise (though I’ve had no bad ones so far!)

I do like NCL’s “product”.Epic is a large ship but only ever felt a bit crowded round the pool area.The lack of a wrap around deck other than the Deck 7 which has lifeboats obscuring the view does affect your connection with the sea but this effect was lessened by us having a balcony cabin this time.

I think the Getaway and Breakaway have addressed this though with its’ waterfront initiative

Most of NCL’s staff are very friendly attentive and welcoming,I found this without exception on my only other longer cruise on NCL on the Jewel.On Epic it was more patchy.All cabin steward staff I came across were friendly and polite and virtually all restaurant staff (but not 100%),most marked were in O’ Sheehan’s, where they just seemed to go through the motions and the Atrium café where the guy serving the Carlo’s bakery items was just plain rude.Good staff way outnumbered the bad though.

Dining options were excellent.I’ve seen quite few suggestions that NCL’s main restaurant offerings are below the standard of their main rivals seen as deliberate ploy to make you eat in the pay restaurants.If anything,in my view I’d say the opposite was the case.All the MDR meals were really good in fact I’d say very good and certainly better(in my opinion) than my other recent cruises on P&O and RCCL.I thought the pay option,Moderno was just ok.

Top marks goes to Shanghai’s simply fabulous-staff and the food was outstanding.

Entertainment.I have to confess this was a disappointment to me.Last time on NCL I thought the main theatre productions were every bit as good as other lines.This time I was disappointed that you had to book the main theatre (and only 2 performances could be booked pre-cruise).Also,there was Burn the Floor and Legends as the only 2 shows all week.Having ditched the Blue Man Group,(which I didn’t know when booking),I thought the lack of the Priscilla musical until the refit would leave a gap and so it proved.

We did enjoy Graffiti Classics,but this is the very first time I have not seen a performance all week in the main theatre.

The cabins on Epic have received a lot of coverage.I don’t think the wavy walls especially work and space is quite tight between the end of the bed and the cupboards.The separate shower and toilet didn’t bother me at all but the sink was a useless puddle.However,I think the studio rooms for sinle travellers are the lounge are really good.

You do see some coverage about mass market lines making unnecessary cuts and they are all guilty of this.However,for me NCL actually do somethings others don’t.For example,soft serve icea cream on the go all the time as well as hot & cold drink.I also thought the cold drinks and flanells ashore were a nice touch.As were the free mini ice pops (popsicles?)that were dished out on the pool deck.You know the curious triangular shaped frozen ice lolly without a stick.Smaller than real ice pops/popsicles but very nice and in various flavours.

I used the Iconcierge App on my phone quite a lot and apart from the first day it worked really well.

You have to download it before you go.

You have to connect to the wifi (doesn’t cost,if you use it for other things obviously it does).I found that when launching the app if it took you straight to the menu it had connected properly so you just come out again.If you then get a fuzzy screen for few seconds and then the menu you are fine,this is for a windows phone.for an iphone it just connects straight away.I found it really useful to check my on board accounts what’s on and I even booked a restaurant through it.You can easily manage without it though as all the features are available through your cabin TV.However,the App is much quicker as navigating the TV is sooo slow.

A lot of the features like what’s on and restaurant availability (not booking) are available via large touch screens by all the lift.Plus a useful how to find somewhere onboard(including your cabin) with excellent clear directions.

Overall,a really good holiday with some excellent ports, a nice ship and good service and food.

Where’s that diet sheet again?

18700321072_2c6d30d6ee_b.jpgPool deck on 1st day

18678664836_f088787837_b.jpg

Main Pools

18678848376_a8f7c0722a_b.jpg

Main Pools at Night

18517372758_e3a595f302_b.jpg

Funnel at night

18517382958_edce2115bf_b.jpg

View of Haven Suites

18705177615_b4d90fd12d_b.jpg

Last food shot!-Grand Marnier Souffle

Excellent job, philhar. I looked forward to each installment.

thanks Bamavol,I realised afterwards that I should perhaps have just kept adding to the original thread but had originally thought that would limit the number of pictures as it is 6,but obviously it's 6 per post not per thread(der)

Many thanks.

Have two identical cruises booked in November and March to the Canaries. They were such a good price when I booked with aft balcony cabin and free UDP and UBP, all for £600 each, I just had to do it twice. !!

Now that's just greedy!Seriously,I'm just jealous- have a great time.