Role Call Star Flyer 3/28/2016 Jamaica

Tinatheloop

• 1 month later...

I went on that itinerary this past spring and it was a really nice sail. I highly recommend the rafting tour in Port Antonio, Jamaica, be sure and wear something you can swim in,,, we slipped off the raft at one point and just floated down the river. It is a very nice trip 8 miles down to the sea, and you have an oarsman who does all the work. The historical tour in Santa Domingo was also very interesting. Have fun, plenty of days at sea and fun things on the island stops,,, good itinerary and we only had 90 or so passengers on board, so plenty of space on the ship.

At last....I found someone who has experienced the Star Flyer! Thanks for your response. If you don't mind, I have a few questions....

I am excited the Rafting trip is listed as an excursion. We do plan to experience this unique ride on wooden rafts. The remaining Itineraries do not seem appealing. We were hoping snorkeling would be available. My husband likes to sail. One of the websites advertised small sailboats being available. Do you know anything about the water sports?

Have you met fellow passengers ( perhaps been in contact) who may be going in 2016? Please forward my e-mail: Justlikehome64 gmail.com

Did you purchase transfers? My agent is not able to get a price for transfers this early. What was the price? I was thinking of taking a cab from Montego Bay to the port in Jamaica. Any thoughts?

We do plan to participate in the last excursion, a small tour of St. Maarten. We will be staying in Grand Case for three days after the cruise. I thought we would just hop off the tour in Grand Case. Are you familiar with St. Maarten's transportation system?

What to wear...always a question. Do they require long pants for men at dinner? How is the food?

Here comes the silliest.....are the walls on the ship made of metal? Someone had a suggestion to purchase metal clips.

Thanks for your help....or anyone that reads this post.

Tina ( and Steve...although he doesn't write posts)

We have been on the Clippers several times - yes, men are required to wear long trousers at dinner (but not needed at breakfast / lunch). Food is of good quality and good selection for both waiter service meals (dinner) and buffets - breakfast etc. during the day. There should be several good snorkelling opportunities. The ship will have a water sports team with a variety of opportunities available.

All the Clippers are built of steel - not sure what you mean about "metal clips". If you are referring to safety lines as used by people on yachts the answer is "no". If there is significant ship movement then some ropes may be set out along the open deck so that you can steady yourself as you walk along there. We know a couple who will be on the trip with you - they are repeaters on the Clippers and excellent company.

Thanks for your reply. I met magnetic clips, not metal. The magnet has to go on the metal walls. The suggested hanging bags, and drying clothes with the clips attached to the wall.

As we get closer, maybe I can connect with the couple you know going on the ship.

Another question....that net hanging from the long beam in the front of the ship ( you can see my husband is the sailor).......who difficult is it to climb on the net? Looks tricky.....but a lot of fun to be hanging over the water.

Thanks again for your input.

Tina

You should not need "magnetic clips" (I have never heard that suggested before). There is sufficient hanging space in the cabin and, usually, a pull out drying line in the "bathroom" area. The net below the bowsprit is reasonably easy to climb on to - just, in effect, a couple of steps over the bow - camera at the ready!!

There is a dry cleaning service on board - at a reasonable cost - and we have always found it to be of excellent quality.

Our friends are aware of the Cruise Critic site and your thread - it will be interesting to see if they "sign up". We, and our friends, have just booked a holiday on the Star Flyer in the Med. for the autumn of next year.