Tendering versus Docking

We are sailing on the August 28, 2015 departure out of Seattle on Celebrity Solstice. One of our port of calls is Juneau on day 4, which will be a Monday arriving in Juneau at 1:30 pm after having seen Tracy Arm Fjord. My question is there is so much discussion/controversy surrounding tendering. How can I find out if on that date we are docking or tendering so we can be prepared for any hassle? Thanks Nanahighseas

By looking at your cruise docs, or as I just did, the Celebrity website schedule for your cruise, here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-SL07A121?packageid=SL07A121&dest=ALCAN&shipCode=SL&shipName=Celebrity Solstice&sailDate=1150828&cabincls=AQUA

where it says "Docked" in the upper right corner.

By the way, there is a section of Cruise Critic devoted to Celebrity, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Edited by CruiserBruce

It looks as though we will be tendered ashore. We are a group of 6, so how can we make this happen as smoothly as possible because of the fact that we've never been there and 1500-2000 or more people want to see Juneau also!

Fastest way off at a tender port is booking a ship's excursion. Otherwise your whole group needs to go together to get tender tickets.

There will be info in your ship paper how this works.

Edited by SadieN

I'm actually getting 2 different answers on the Celebrity Cruise Ship web site. One will say tendered and the next time I look at it to verify that, it will say docked. I keep putting in the August 28th sail date out of Seattle on the Solstice. What am I doing wrong?

I'm actually getting 2 different answers on the Celebrity Cruise Ship web site. One will say tendered and the next time I look at it to verify that, it will say docked. I keep putting in the August 28th sail date out of Seattle on the Solstice. What am I doing wrong?

Their website is not user friendly It looks like you are docked for the 28th cruise

You are worrying unduly. Just get in line, get on the tender, and ride it to shore. It is what it is... Tenders hold hundreds at a time...they are big! Not everyone wants to go ashore at the same time!

If you aren't tendered, but are docked, then walk off when you want.

OK, I looked this up for you - you are not tendering, you are docked. Noordam is scheduled for tender that day, not Solstice. I will provide links to this information. IF for some reason this is wrong or this changes, you will be given instructions on how the tender process works, not to worry.

Your ship leaves Seattle on Aug.28 and your day in Juneau is Day 4, Aug.31. Here is the port schedule for Juneau:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/jnu_2015.pdf <---click, and scroll down to Aug.31

And here is the list of abbreviations which are beside each ship name:

http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Berth-Codes.pdf <---click for abbreviations

Solstice is slated to be at AJD - this is where we were also - AJ Dock, which although it is the farthest away from town, it is not tendered. When you see "AMP", this means Anchor Marine Park, in other words tender.

I realize the Celebrity website says "Tendered"; I saw that too, but I do know that Solstice is alternating weeks docking and tendering, so if you look at the schedule before and after you, you can see the difference.

I hope this sets your mind at ease. Have fun! Alaska is amazing, and the hot glass blowing show aboard Solstice is incredible. :)

Thank you everyone! I appreciate so much all the suggestions and links to look at. This is only our 2nd cruise, and we're really excited and looking forward to it. Just taking me awhile to learn my way around all the websites and figure out how to interpret some of the abbreviations. Thanks Nanahighseas

By looking at your cruise docs, or as I just did, the Celebrity website schedule for your cruise, here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-SL07A121?packageid=SL07A121&dest=ALCAN&shipCode=SL&shipName=Celebrity Solstice&sailDate=1150828&cabincls=AQUA

where it says "Docked" in the upper right corner.

By the way, there is a section of Cruise Critic devoted to Celebrity, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Don't waste your time on the Soltice what a disapointmet.And whats with people posting in the wrong places that's kind of annoying thanks for keeping everyone in line:)

Don't waste your time on the Soltice what a disapointmet.And whats with people posting in the wrong places that's kind of annoying thanks for keeping everyone in line:)

Yeah, sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise on Solstice but how about a little grace? New members don't always post in the "correct" forum and there are so many here, it's easy to be overwhelmed.

Tendering in Alaska? I thought cruise ships always dock there.

Had my first taste of tendering, sorry but it sucks. Nothing can compete with the efficiency of regular docking. Just got to deal with it patiently..... :mad:

We tendered in Juneau on the Celebrity Infinity. It's was fine. Very quick and smooth. We docked late and therefore had a late departure. It meant that people came back to the ship all through the evening (some wanted to come back for dinner while others stayed until the last minute). Therefore there was very little queuing to get back to the ship.

Wow! Pretty grumpy this morning, aren't you?

Looks like someone didn't get any last night. ;)

Are you just going from board to board post comments about how every ship is not worth the money, or did a 10 year old hack your account?

Since the AJ dock is not right in Juneau, are there tour buses we can get on to take us to Mendenhall Glacier or do we need to find a way to get into Juneau for an excursion? Will there be any excursion booths at the AJ dock?

If you go over to the Ports of Call board for Alaska, you will find everything you need to know about Juneau and Alaska. From what I have read, there may be a shuttle from the AJ dock to the area of Mt. Roberts tram, where the excursion booths are. EM