Booking last call rooms?

hippyman

I've searched this, but the results were pretty much more confusing than helpful. I'm trying to get information on booking last call rooms(aka, the rooms not booked when the ship sails). I think I read that you can't just show up anymore, you have to have passport and ID info prebooked, so how would I get these deals? I've only been on one cruise, but would love to increase my experience.

When I lived in Long Beach, I would often call Carnival on the day of sail away and check for any cabins. About 25% of the time, a few cabins were available. Book them at 10 am and was onboard by 2 pm. Mainly 3 and 4 day cruises.

As noted above, Carnival allows you to call the morning of the cruise and sail in the afternoon. The deals may not be great, though. If it is a closed loop cruise from a US port, you would not necessarily need a passport - although it is good to have one. An official birth certificate and gov't issued photo ID would suffice.

I believe other cruise lies require you to book the night before.

You have to call, though. Can't be booked online. And you will not be able to do any online checkin, print out docs, so you would have to be checked in at the port 90 minutes before sailing. EM

My main issue with that is that I live so far inland that any booking last call rooms that morning would make getting to port that same day difficult. Is this the only way to book these so-called "cheap" rooms?

My main issue with that is that I live so far inland that any booking last call rooms that morning would make getting to port that same day difficult. Is this the only way to book these so-called "cheap" rooms?

pretty much yeah.

only people who live less than an hour from port can actually take advantage

Last minute these days is a week out. not same day

pretty much yeah.

only people who live less than an hour from port can actually take advantage

Last minute these days is a week out. not same day

That's what I was afraid of. How much cheaper could a week out get me?

Princess needs to booked two days ahead, Carnival can be booked the day of.

Some will try to book last minute if they're vacationing in/near a port city.

Sign up on the cruise line websites for last minute (not really last minute) or specials that may have space up to 2-3 days prior

If you are driving to the port it may work out but if you have to fly not so much

NCL has Hot Deals you can sign up for

or other promos

http://www.ncl.com/specials-and-promotions/last-minute-deals

It will all depend on how many cabins are left. If there are few you will save little or nothing. Often the fare will be higher than listed a month or two earlier.

If there are many unsold cabins. The savings can be significant.

On nearly every ship, there are a small number of less-than-desirable rooms that may get discounted. An example would be any cabin that is directly below a public area that is subject to a lot of noise, such as a disco. If such a cabin is being offered at a discount on a specific ship, you would probably need to check with a TA to find out, as they are generally not advertised on line by the cruise line. Also, you would need to check at least two or three weeks in advance, NOT the day of departure. And, if you have to fly to the port of departure, you could end up spending more in airfare by waiting until the last minute, assuming there would be any seats still available. Although cruise ships like to sail as close to full capacity as possible, getting an unbooked cabin at the last minute in hopes of a discount isn't the same as stopping at a hotel for the night and being able to get an unoccupied room at a discount.

Getting an undesireable room, I don't think would be a problem. On the last cruise I went on, I barely spent any time in the room. A pair of earplugs should solve any noise issues, I figure.

A friend of mine will book airfare to a embarkation port that offers several options for cruises, then watches fares.

As I understand it, all booking names on ships manifest must be submitted to Feds or whomever 72 hours in advance.

Not true, the time for submission is 60 minutes prior to sailing.

Getting an undesireable room, I don't think would be a problem. On the last cruise I went on, I barely spent any time in the room. A pair of earplugs should solve any noise issues, I figure.

But others spend a lot more time in their room. Have motion issues and may not want to spend all their time with ear plugs in.

But others spend a lot more time in their room. Have motion issues and may not want to spend all their time with ear plugs in.

Understandable, I was just speaking from my own personal experiences.

It seems that with RCI, 6 weeks out is often the really the sweet spot for pricing.

We booked the 7/24 Grandeur of the Seas during the "Tue" sale the week of June 15th. We got a Jr. suite for $2580 and an inside for $1312 (both including tax&port chargers)

I checked a couple of days ago, and the prices were a couple hundred higher each.

Today 7/3 - 3 weeks before sailing - all that is left are outside gty and balcony cabins (4). The D1 cost today is the same as my suite was 3 weeks ago.

Frankly, I was surprised that the Grandeur was put on sale at all; she has a high demand. I'm guessing the Bahamas itinerary isn't quite as popular.

Aloha,

John

I check prices on NCL's website day and night .

Most of our trip I book within the last few day's .

One cruise I booked the night before sailing as I noticed its price was cut in half .

I booked and sailed in under 12 hrs.:D