"Wheelchair" cabin policy?

jean-lynd

Trying to figure out if we qualify for a wheelchair cabin on Princess. My niece is getting married on the Crown in Alaska next June and her 95 year old grandfather would like to attend. My husband and I would be sharing the cabin with him to care for him. He doesn't use a wheelchair at home but he never has to walk very far and he always uses a walker. He also needs help to shower and use the bathroom. Does anybody know if this qualifies? Thanks in advance for your help!

Trying to figure out if we qualify for a wheelchair cabin on Princess. My niece is getting married on the Crown in Alaska next June and her 95 year old grandfather would like to attend. My husband and I would be sharing the cabin with him to care for him. He doesn't use a wheelchair at home but he never has to walk very far and he always uses a walker. He also needs help to shower and use the bathroom. Does anybody know if this qualifies? Thanks in advance for your help!

We were on Crown Princess last December with my 93-year old mother and she had an inside accessible cabin. She mostly gets around with a cane, but used a walker on the ship when we were under way to steady herself. There appeared to be no problem when we booked the cabin nor onboard. She certainly appreciated the bathroom. I don't think they will quibble about someone of such an advanced age.

From the Princess web site:

Wheelchair-Accessible Cabins

Today, the Princess fleet offers more than 350 wheelchair-accessible cabins. Each vessel features up to 31 accessible cabins, across a variety of stateroom categories. These rooms are designed for wheelchair maneuverability, with widened doorways into both the cabin and its bathroom; wheel-in showers, hand-held showerheads and bath distress alarms; as well as lowered closet railings, sinks, and handrails; and removed or revamped thresholds. Additional equipment is also available on request, such as toilet seat raisers, shower stools and bedboards.

Wheelchair users will find access-friendly design across most of the Princess fleet, making it easy to enjoy each vessel's restaurants, theaters, spas, lounges and open deck space. Elevators have generous 36- to 42-inch doorways, and wheelchair seating is available in show lounges and other public spaces.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Access-Makes-Cruise-Vacations-Accessible-For-Passengers-With-Disabilities.html?zoom_highlight=accessible+rooms#.VZc98UZSV-8

Yes you do qualify.

Thanks for the quick replies. The travel agent handling the group made it sound like it was very difficult to get "approved" to book one of these cabins and I couldn't find anything on the Princess website that described what requirements there will be. I thought they might require something from a doctor stating that he was confined to a wheelchair. Glad to hear that he will probably qualify!

Thanks for the quick replies. The travel agent handling the group made it sound like it was very difficult to get "approved" to book one of these cabins and I couldn't find anything on the Princess website that described what requirements there will be. I thought they might require something from a doctor stating that he was confined to a wheelchair. Glad to hear that he will probably qualify!

I don't think it is a problem getting approved. From reading other posts, it looks like the biggest problem is booking far enough ahead while these cabins are still available. I have heard folks, on here, say they often had to book a year ahead to get one of these cabins.

You'll have to verbally "attest" that you need the cabin.

From what I have read, only 2 people are allowed in a handicapped accessible cabin. You may want to call Princess to check on this.

No, there are some quad accessible cabins. I sailed in a balcony one on Crown Princess a few years back. It was on Caribe deck... gigantic balcony.

You TA should not have trouble booking an accessible cabin the issue will be is there one available as most of us who need them book them as soon as the itinerary is released. Princess unlike Celebrity does not require you to fill out and sign a form for one but does require you or your TA to state that you do need one. The next matter would be is there a family or quad accessible as there is a finite number of them on the various ships....but they are there on much of the Princess fleet.

I would consider looking into renting a scooter for the cruise. There are companies that provide cruise rentals of smaller scooters that fit on ships. There is lots of walking on a cruise ship and Grandfather might get additional enjoyment by being able to get around easier.

Yes ask for a HCP cabin.

When you are booking an accessible cabin you will be required to read and confirm that you need this type of cabin. I'm pretty sure you qualify but these cabins are really for those that are in Wheelchairs most of the time. However because of your Grandfathers age I believe Princess will OK you getting a accessible cabin.

In the past some people abused booking handicap cabins and lying about their need for one because accessible cabins are significantly larger. I know of one couple that posts just about more then anyone here on CC that have been banned from Princess because of their abuse.

btw, I think it is very cool that you are taking your grandfather on a cruise.

Edited by timetravler

You are doing a great job of being proactive on this issue.

If you do end up renting a scooter, you are not permitted to leave it in the hallway as it is a real safety issue for other passengers if there is an emergency evacuation. In that case an accessible cabin should provide enough space so that the scooter can fit inside your cabin. If you don't get an accessible cabin and rent a scooter that could be a problem as you are not allowed to place it outside your stateroom. Supposedly.

If your relative is able to currently use a regular shower/bathroom at home then he may be able to book a standard cabin and most wheelchairs can fold up in the cabin so that it will not be in the way.

I was recently on the Coral Princess and several times I noticed that someone had left a scooter outside their cabin-big no no and it was not easy to get around it even in a non emergency situation. Obviously this passenger was in violation of the rules. The cabin stewards would not have been able to pass any of their carts around this either.

I was recently on the Coral Princess and several times I noticed that someone had left a scooter outside their cabin-big no no and it was not easy to get around it even in a non emergency situation. Obviously this passenger was in violation of the rules. The cabin stewards would not have been able to pass any of their carts around this either.

I was also on the Coral in April. Due to a mix up by my TA, I was not given an accessible cabin, but had a scooter with no place to park in. I explained the problem to the customer service people and they suggested (i.e. gave me permission) that I park it across from the elevators where there was an electrical outlet and room for it. It was not in anyone's way and it even allowed the emergency doors to close if needed.

Thanks again for the replies. There are 6 balcony cabins that show up when I put in wheelchair and 3 passengers. We are doing Alaska so I want a balcony so that we can enjoy the scenery without a lot of traveling around the ship. The cabin I want is currently available so I hope to get it booked ASAP - with insurance. The cruise is a year off and a lot can happen in a year!

We plan to rent a wheelchair at home so that we will have it for the whole trip and we can fold it up when he isn't using it. The ideal would be to have the wheelchair and a walker but I'm not sure how we would be able to travel with both.

Thanks again!

Thanks again for the replies. There are 6 balcony cabins that show up when I put in wheelchair and 3 passengers. We are doing Alaska so I want a balcony so that we can enjoy the scenery without a lot of traveling around the ship. The cabin I want is currently available so I hope to get it booked ASAP - with insurance. The cruise is a year off and a lot can happen in a year!

We plan to rent a wheelchair at home so that we will have it for the whole trip and we can fold it up when he isn't using it. The ideal would be to have the wheelchair and a walker but I'm not sure how we would be able to travel with both.

Thanks again!

I agree, book it as soon as possible. ;)

You need a different TA. Yours apparently doesn't know much about it. I really resent "experts" who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Your TA should have been on the phone with Princess immediately and ensured that you got the type of cabin you need.

Thrak - I didn't choose the travel agent - the bride & groom did - I am not impressed so far. I plan to do my own research and use her as little as possible. Thus - the questions on this board! Luckily, I enjoy doing research!

FYI I tried to booked my first Princess cruise last October for September of this year to Alaska. I guess I got someone new because when I told her I needed a handicap cabin for my husband she denied me saying he did not meet the guidelines. I explained to her he has been in a handicap cabin our last 2 cruises on Carnival.

She got extremely rude and told me I had to furnish all this paperwork and doctors notes. She demanded to know what the issue was with my husband. (which is illegal ) I told her I wanted to booked this specific cabin and I will contact the special needs department.

The original call was placed on Sunday. Some other issues happened during this call that I will not go into. The longer time passed the madder I got. So when I got home from work on Monday I called Princess and ask for a supervisor.

Once I got one I explained the problem. I told her I had all the paperwork that was needed to verify needing a handicap cabin since we have been in one our last 2 cruises. She ask for permission to listen to my call. I said sure. I had to problem because I did not lie about anything said.

Once she returned she could not say she was sorry enough. (probably 10 times) She told me that the handicap room was ours but ask if were interested in the balcony across the hall which was also handicap. I said we did not want to pay that much and thanked her for the offer. She said no that the balcony was our new cabin as a jester of good faith for the horrible customer service I had received. We did not need any verification of anything.

She said (her name is Lauren by the way) the CSA had no right to ask what was wrong with my husband and all that was needed was me attesting he needed the handicap cabin.

Please contact Special Needs and get a handicap cabin asap. They are wonderful. As you can tell.