"Wheelchair" cabin policy?

jean-lynd

I don't see any problem with you getting an accessible cabin. He should certainly qualify. With an accessible cabin, he would be more independent of your help than in another cabin. With a non-accessible cabin, one of you may need to be with him more of the time.

However, you may be OK if you are not able to find an accessible cabin in a location you like - as long as one of you would always be with him.

I understand that he would not need the wheelchair inside the cabin and that normally one of you would push the wheelchair outside the cabin. You would not need the wider doors if you are using a collapsible wheelchair and one of you would carry it outside to the hallway when he is going out.

I see no reason to rent a scooter unless he would be using it by himself. If one of you is pushing him, then a collapsible wheelchair would be more versatile and would probably be easier to use. There would be places you could go in the wheelchair and he could not go in the scooter. The main reason for the scooter is independence, but that's not really an issue if one of you will always be with him.

The bathroom is another issue. The accessible bathroom has a large shower with room for someone to help him. The non-accessible cabin has a very small shower, and there is no way anyone else could fit in it with him. A mini-suite would have a tub with shower in the tub. It is not considered accessible, but it may be easier for someone who needs - and has - someone to help him.

As a person who travels with his wife who has MS and needs an accessible cabin, I would say you definitely should request such a cabin. With what you have described don't think twice about it.

I totally! agree. Also you need to book an accessible cabin ASAP as they do book up quickly. I have to book as soon as an itinerary becomes available- usually 16-18 months out.

Edited by Treven

Thanks again for the replies. There are 6 balcony cabins that show up when I put in wheelchair and 3 passengers. We are doing Alaska so I want a balcony so that we can enjoy the scenery without a lot of traveling around the ship. The cabin I want is currently available so I hope to get it booked ASAP - with insurance. The cruise is a year off and a lot can happen in a year!

We plan to rent a wheelchair at home so that we will have it for the whole trip and we can fold it up when he isn't using it. The ideal would be to have the wheelchair and a walker but I'm not sure how we would be able to travel with both.

Thanks again!

Respectfully, may I suggest putting the wheelchair with the luggage to be sent aboard, and your grandfather managing on the walker while boarding. I also use a walker, and mine has a seat so I can sit on it if needed. With companions with him, it should be quite safe. HTH. And ENJOY YOUR CRISE!

We recently booked an acessable cabin on line and did not have to fill in any forms.

Sure you did... when booking one of these cabins, a pop up that says "IMPORTANT NOTICE: ATTESTATION OF NEED FOR ACCESSIBLE CABIN" appears and you must click that you accept those terms. If they find that folks have lied and don't need the cabin, they'll either move them or possibly deny them boarding.

Respectfully, may I suggest putting the wheelchair with the luggage to be sent aboard, and your grandfather managing on the walker while boarding. I also use a walker, and mine has a seat so I can sit on it if needed. With companions with him, it should be quite safe. HTH. And ENJOY YOUR CRISE!

A wheelchair and a porter will be available at the port for embarkation and debarkation no need to walk.

Thanks everyone. We ended up splurging and getting a mini-suite with the Sips & Sail promo. With 3 of us in the cabin I think this is a much better choice than the balcony.

Agree, a balcony for 3 is a bit squeezy.

I see no reason to rent a scooter unless he would be using it by himself. If one of you is pushing him, then a collapsible wheelchair would be more versatile and would probably be easier to use. There would be places you could go in the wheelchair and he could not go in the scooter. The main reason for the scooter is independence, but that's not really an issue if one of you will always be with him.

Or because he is not up to as much activity that day, or he is tired, or or or. You don't know him or his body. Some days I'm fine and some days I can't walk through Costco to pick up my prescriptions.

OP, at that age a scooter might very well make your vacation better. Instead of going to the edge of the market you might go all the way through it type thing.