Maritime Historian John Maxtone-Graham passes

JoePDX

Sad to hear today that John Maxtone-Graham passed away yesterday. I had the opportunity to meet him and his wife Mary on three different cruises. He was a true gentleman who loved the sea.

I read his book "The Only Way to Cross" before my first transatlantic cruise in 2004 as a primer - was a thrill when we learned he was on the crossing as a guest speaker.

Condolences to Mary and his family.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

So sorry to hear this. We became acquainted with him & Mary on the QM2 in 2003, and were thrilled when they asked us to join them at their (private) dining table. What a lovely couple. He was such a wonderful gentleman & will be certainly be missed. Our thoughts & prayers go to Mary....

Greetings

Very sad news. Had the honor of meeting him many years ago on the old SS Norway. Have a signed copy of his book which I will always cherish. He was a wealth of information, he will be missed.

Good Sailing

Tom

I am sorry to learn of Mr. Maxtone-Graham's passing. I never had the opportunity of meeting him, but I most certainly enjoyed his reading his books. Liners to the Sun is another of his books that he wrote. His style of writing made one almost feel that you were aboard ship with him.

We had john as a guest lecturer on a Celebrity TA , so had the delight of at least three if not four lectures from him. Learned so much about the history of liners, in such an enjoyable way.

One of his lectures was entitled "John reads the phone book". He started at," a" and told little anticdotes through to "z" concerning life at sea. At "c" he made reference to Queen Elizabeth's corgi dogs and then told us this story. He and his wife had a secret communication code they used to talk to one another in social situations as needed. He said it happened very rarely, but occasionally they met a couple onboard, who's attitudes or opinions or actions they just couldn't' be comfortable with. They would speak to each other of this couple using the term "corgi's", which for them meant A "Couple Of Really Ghastly Individuals" !!!!!

My husband and I have used it a couple of times too while cruising, ang enjoy remembering this remarkable man and his amazing knowledge. How nice he put much of it into books so we can remember him.

Edited by muffin
Typo

Such sad news.

I met the Grahams on several cruises; we even dined together once. They were lovely people.

I too have all of his books, which were personally signed by him many years ago.

My deepest condolences to Mrs. Graham and the entire family.