What are some good things to do in the canary islands

What are some good things to do in the canary islands

I think you need to be a little more specific. It is like asking what are good things to do in the Caribbean. Which island, which port, and what time of year?

I am going in December

Las Palmas, Canary Islands

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands

It's for the NCL for Epic leaving Dec 19

On Tenerife, look for an excursion that will take you into the national park (Parque National del Teide) with great views of El Pico de Teide and the opportunity to walk around amazing rock formations. We did one last fall (through Celebrity) in 4x4 vehicles and it was a great day.

Enjoy your cruise!

During a port call in Tenerife we also visited Mt. Teide, and thoroughly enjoyed the volcanic landscape and vistas.

On Lanzarote we've visited several rather unique wineries. These wineries grow their grapes in the volcanic soils under very interesting conditions.

In Las Palmas the ship's dock very near to all the attractions. You can walk or take a (cheap) taxi. It depends what you like, but there is some very good shopping, the old town, Vegueta with some lovely architecture, Casa Colon Christopher Columbus's house, Pueblo Canario, Las Canteras, one of Europe's best urban beaches etc.

In Tenerife I would rent a car and visit Teide, Spain's highest mountain, Orotava Valley, garachico, La Laguna, Tacoronte for wine and lunch etc. cR hire is cheap and CICAR have an office in the port.

Do you guys know of any good private excursion companies that are good for both of these ports

I don't tend to like to use the ones on the boat because they are crazy expensive

We typically do a mix of private tours, ship's tours, and DIY days, depending on the port.

On Tenerife, because Teide is a good distance from the cruise port AND the drive involved narrow roads, etc., places where things could go wrong, we opted for a ship's excursion. It really wasn't that expensive, and since it was a 4x4 vehicle tour, we weren't in a big bus of folks, which made a difference as well.

• 2 months later...

I have booked passes to go to the top of El Tiede for our day in Tenerife. Could someone advise.... Should we pre book a car or just head to the nearest office when we get off ship? We dock at 7 but depart at 4 so need to be quickly off and in a car! Are the offices near where celebrity would dock? I worry if I pre book I won't find the "right" office!!!