Oasis Review (Eastern Caribbean)

I understand that's always the downside of the shuttles.

I always get an extended check out and then just take the cab.

Again, You can always show up early. ( but from reading the rants of people in posts ** not talking about you**) the ones that always talk about long lines are the ones that show up way way way before published boarding time.

but seriously, I don't want to take away from your amazing trip and it's great that you are going to the detail to share everything. I wish you an amazing trip.

travel safely. :)

Day 5 - St. Maarten

Up early again today to watch coming into port and then docking. We were up and off the boat for another excursion... excited to be touring the island. We waited out on the dock for a while (apparently waiting for two people that never showed). We took the double decker tour of the island, and I would definitely not recommend this one. On the plus side, we got to see aspects of both the French and Dutch sides of the island, but there were many more negative aspects to this tour.

We started about 30 minutes late, and then had to stop along the side of the road to adjust everyone's earbuds (tour narrator stood on top deck, so we all had earbuds so we could hear her). Our first stop was at Orient Bay and the Kontiki bar. A really beautiful beach, and I could have spent a quiet afternoon just relaxing there. Our next stop was Marigot, but we only had about 15 minutes there. Many of the larger stores were closed, so we wandered through the local bazaar.

The third stop was the one I was looking forward to...Maho Beach! Yup, that crazy airport where the planes come in right over the beach. The beach itself is incredibly beautiful, and we got to see two planes come in. Fun, but again I would have liked to stay longer. The last stop was supposed to be Philipsburg, but because we were out of time, they didn't stop there.

Once we got back to the dock, we just turned around and went back into Philipsburg for shopping. It wasn't a far walk, and looking at how folks drive here, I was happy to walk and not use a taxi!! We found a nice variety of stores to shop from (St. Thomas seemed to be all jewelry and tourist stuff). In Phillipsburg we found jewelry, clothes, make up (if you are going to buy make up, check the prices on board before you go out so you can comparison shop), sunglasses, perfume, liquor. Much of my shopping was based on the idea of having to carry it home, so I didn't buy too much.

We found that it's a good idea to ask if the number shown is their final price. Always ask if there is a discount or if they have any deals. Everywhere we shopped in the islands, they were always willing to negotiate. One of the best stops we made was at the Ansterdam Cheese and Liquor store (on the way back to the ship). I am down to the end of the goodies I bought there and I am rationing each one to make it last. Super yummy treats here!!

Some traveling tips that I learned by being in St. Marten, you cannot pack economically for a Caribbean cruise. You know, mixing and matching all that you wear? No! We sweated so much in St. Marten that those clothes were lost to me... sigh! I know this may be a "duh" moment to many of you, but when I go again (and don't think I won't), I will pack a different outfit for each day. Yes, I brought detergent and washed some clothes out, but it was so humid that they never fully dried out on the balcony.

Upon our return to the ship, we did have a chat with the excursions desk. It wasn't a horrible experience, but it also wasn't what was advertised, and I think that should be known. The excursions desk appreciated our comments and even asked about our excursion in St. Thomas (apparently some folks had complained about that one too). I would definitely recommend checking out some of the island tours through independent tour guides. Our neighbors saw a great deal of the island, and the tour was created based on what they wanted to see. I remember that they found the tour guide either through Trip Advisor or Cruise Critic.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent at the pool enjoying the company of some new friends and the sail away activities. One of the things that I LOVE about cruising are the people that you meet along the way. Our evening was spent trying to do too much in too little time. Fellow travelers, how do you do everything you want to do? Even going back through my Cruise Compasses, I am finding things I didn't know about. Wish there was a better way to keep it all straight while you're on the ship.

OK, enough wishing... Day 6, later!

Edited by Mermaid-ooxx
forgot something

..... We made it down to Sabor where we were attempting to make it through that sampler again, when the maitre d and the manager from the dining room showed up at our table. They were very apologetic and let us know that our dinner that night would be taken care of by them. Wow! It took a good five minutes before either one of us could get our jaws off the ground. .....

That truly was a show of good customer service. With so many complaints we read lately, it's great to hear this positive feedback! Thanks for sharing.

Sherri, I have to say that with just two cruises under my belt I have been nothing but wow'd by their customer service. Yup, there have been a few hiccups along the way, but that's just how things roll. Royal, from top to bottom really has the key to great customer service (IMHO).

Sherri, I have to say that with just two cruises under my belt I have been nothing but wow'd by their customer service. Yup, there have been a few hiccups along the way, but that's just how things roll. Royal, from top to bottom really has the key to great customer service (IMHO).

I would agree. The only issue we have ever had have been with the photography staff (who are hired in by Royal Caribbean and aren't Royal Caribbean staff as such.) Aside from that, I have experienced no unfriendly staff on the Allure.

Thanks for the awesome review! We are sailing Oasis next month. You mentioned that the Starbucks accepted Starbucks gift cards. Do you happen to know if they take the phone app, or just the physical card? Do you happen to know what was on the Starbucks menu? TIA!

Thanks for the awesome review! We are sailing Oasis next month. You mentioned that the Starbucks accepted Starbucks gift cards. Do you happen to know if they take the phone app, or just the physical card? Do you happen to know what was on the Starbucks menu? TIA!

I'm sure that you can use the app on your phone, but I had my phone turned off for the week, so I just used my sea pass. The shop seemed to operated much as any other Starbucks outlet. The same drink/food menu that you would find on land.

Sorry for the delay, been fighting a nasty bug this last week.

Day 6: At sea

Today was much like our previous day at sea. Gym, breakfast at the Windjammer (where we never ran into lines or crowds - we were usually in there by about 8:00), and then up to the pool. Today is the day that they do the big parade in the Royal Promenade (12:30?). Totally fun, make sure you see it.

Day 2 of our martini class in the Rising Tide (they bring it up to the top and keep the doors closed). We had a bigger class today because word got out! Today's martinis were: 1) a gin martini with elderflower liqueur and passion fruit puree, 2) a bourbon martini with chambord, wildberry puree, 3) a vodka martini with blue curacao and peach schnapps, 4) a peanut butter martini (yup, you read that right) with vodka, creme de cacao and kahlua. I loved that he guided us through every step, and additionally he made his own version of each martini so we could get an idea of how each one should taste.

One tip I would give you is that you should find a bar you like, whether it's inside, or by the pool. Make friends with the bartender and their staff. We spent some late night time in the Champagne Bar each night, making new friends, hanging out with the ones that kept showing up. Our mixologist/martini professor worked in there, and every time he made a martini for someone, he would make extra for the "regulars" so we could try it.

Dinner tonight is formal... had a heck of a time getting ready after downing four martinis!! ha ha

Day 7

After breakfast and some wandering (had to work off those pancakes and empenadas!), we went over to the rock wall. We got there right after they opened, and good thing we did because the line formed quickly. Apparently there are 3 or 4 paths up the wall, that are not equal in ease of ascent. My niece tried it, but got one of the tougher ones, so she didn't stay long.

After that we decided to check out one of the internet cafes to do fight check in. We were going to just do a quick check-in with the 15 minute session, but decided to do the 24 hour ($30, I think). By the way, if you want a wifi connection on your phone or tablet, you need to bring it with you to the Royal Promenade on the 1st or 2nd day. They have a table set up just to the side of the pub.

Anyway, we logged in to our respective airlines, and I was shocked to discover that my departure flight had been cancelled... what??? OK, now my stress level has shot up from 0 to 100 in a matter of seconds. SW does not have live chat, and I don't have service on my phone, so what the h*** do I do?? We make our way down to Guest Services (keep in mind that I have already filled out my Valet luggage request with all of my flight info). I found a very sympathetic guest services rep who listened to my story of woe. She pulled out a business card and began writing directions on the back. She said, "You'll go back up to your room, dial these #s and ask for a complimentary ship to shore phone call, and tell them who you'd like to call.

So I did that, and after waiting on hold for 25 minutes with SW, I finally got an agent that discovered the issue (flight was cancelled in March, but because of a glitch, I was not notified). After being on the phone for about 40 minutes, we finally got the situation resolved. Now, back down to Guest Services to resolve the issues with the valet luggage request. I would highly recommend this if it is in your budget. I loved walking off the ship with nothing but my carry on, and not having to deal with luggage until I got home.

While this was going on, my niece checked out the belly flop competition and said that it was well worth her time. I stopped for lunch at Sorrentos, and boy am I glad I didn't find this earlier... yummy!! After that I went to check out the Captain's corner while the youngin' went back up to the pool. I love attending these sessions and learning more about the ship, and her captain. It was truly an informative (and humorous) session.

I spent the remainder of the afternoon checking out the art work on board. There is truly an amazing variety of art work on board this ship. Since I walked the stairs instead of using the elevator, I was able to see quite a bit of it, but I didn't want to leave any stone unturned. I didn't realize until today that there are telescopes and viewing areas on the helipad deck (entrance is near the kid's play area).

Truly, I need another week on this ship just to see and try everything I didn't get the first time around. Dinner, and then I checked out a movie at the aqua theater while the niece hung with her homies on the smoking deck. We met up for the party in the promenade, and then she went to the comedy show (no reservations needed for this one), while went to hang out with my martini friends (met a couple from the same city I live in... small world!).

After that, I've gotta go pack since my suitcase needs to be out by 11:00 (oops, should have done that earlier).

Departure: This was a breeze! We left with the carry out crowd, dropped our tips off, and gave one last wave goodbye. I grabbed one of my niece's bags so that we could go down the escalator instead of the elevator (where there was already a line). Customs didn't seem to give a rat's a$$ who we were or what we were bringing through!! Make sure you have passports/ids out and ready before you leave the ship. My niece had to dig a little for hers, and the RCI staff was not happy about the (brief) delay.

Overall, a wonderful trip! The staff was incredible, the ship was beautiful, and I would go again in a heartbeat!! I hope that you enjoyed reading my review, and know that I am totally envious of all of you that have an Oasis trip in your future. Enjoy, and safe travels!!

Were you able to eat what you wanted to while keeping the weight off by exercising how much? With all the walking you do on this huge ship and on land, I plan to avoid the treadmill. But I love working out. Any recommendations? Did you see the spa? What do you think of the week spa pass? Thanks.

Day 4 - St. Thomas

.......... It was so busy that they were taking groups of people up to the other two dining rooms. We were part of a group that got taken to the dining room upstairs.

........... We finally had someone come by with rolls, and then another server came by and said, "Are you supposed to be here? This table belongs to someone else." We explained what happened and then he just disappeared. I was feeling incredibly uncomfortable, and I mentioned it to my niece. She said that she felt the same way. I asked if she wanted to leave and she nodded yes.

As we left I made sure that the maitre d knew that he had an empty table so that they could put someone else there. He was concerned that we were leaving and asked why. When we told him he was very apologetic and offered us another table and even offered to place us back downstairs if that would make us more comfortable. We told him that we were fine and that we were going to grab a margarita and some Mexican food.

We made it down to Sabor where we were attempting to make it through that sampler again, when the maitre d and the manager from the dining room showed up at our table. They were very apologetic and let us know that our dinner that night would be taken care of by them. Wow!

It took a good five minutes before either one of us could get our jaws off the ground.

BTW, we did make it thru the sampler (barely) but spent the rest of the evening walking it off!!

WOW! That is GREAT attention to detail, to come and find you. Great customer service :)

Best thing I did on day 3 was the martini-making class on the rising tide. Led by Mixologist, Francisco and his merry band of helpers, we were led through a history of alcohol (how it's made, how it's used, and some common myths). Then it was time to get to work. There were about 13 of us in this first class. James and Francisco passed out all of the supplies, explained how they were used, and then we began making magic. Francisco took us through 4 different martinis (two with rum, and two with vodka), step by step, teaching us how to make martinis that appealed to our own tastes. Yes, you drink what you make! The cost was about $25 and the class lasted about an hour and a half.

Is it possible to make a reservation for this? Or is it first come first served? How many people do they allow.....?

LOOKS LIKE A BLAST!!!

thanks for the review......