Cruise Critic Community
doreman

What to do in Prague

We will be in Prague 3 days and I am trying to put together a time table for our time there-and I need help, please. Is it best just to read about the city and then list what we want to see and arrange to see them on our own? Or is it best to find a local guide or tour that covers what we want to see? I speak no Czech and only deep south english. I want to make the best of our time there. Also, are there places outside Prague that we should try to include in our days there such as major cathedrals, castles , WWII historical sites, or the like? Any and all help will be appreciated as usual.

I would definitely do at least one comprehensive city tour, even if the rest of the time you go off on your own.

One of our days in Prague we went to Terezin Concentration Camp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresienstadt_concentration_camp

We also did a walking tour of the Jewish Quarter one afternoon. Sorry don't know the name of our guide as someone else arranged this.

English is widely spoken in Prague and in the few cases where our non-existent Czech met up with someone's non-existent English, we found smiling and hand signals did the job.

Lovely city.

We took a Sandeman's tour to Terezin and found it extremely interesting.

Visit Prague Castle- easy to do on your own via tram, once there buy the English audio guide.

Then walk down the hill stopping at the wineries along the way for refreshment & great views.

Take the funicular to the top of Petrin Hill and go up in the tower or just enjoy the beautiful flowers & landscaping.

Find a outdoor spot to eat, drink and watch the world go by.

Wallow into the craziness that is "Old Town Square" watch the clock, watch the entertainment but watch out for your wallet too! There is a tourist office right by the clock ( on your left if you are facing the clock) with loads of information

The Jewish quarter is very interesting and there are several walking tours to take that include this area.

Enjoy a leisurely walk across the Charles Bridge.

Prague is a beautiful, safe, walkable city with loads of things to be enjoyed. Get out and just wander you'll find lots of interesting places. :)

Edited by moesmrs

If you're a fan of history, I recommend looking into the walking tours offered by The Naked Tour Guide. They're all English-speaking, and give really in-depth information about different parts of Prague. Their story telling is great, and they take advantage of public transportation to get you further on a tour that lasts just a few hours. I'd highly recommend them.

We took a Sandeman's tour to Terezin and found it extremely interesting.

Visit Prague Castle- easy to do on your own via tram, once there buy the English audio guide.

Then walk down the hill stopping at the wineries along the way for refreshment & great views.

Take the funicular to the top of Petrin Hill and go up in the tower or just enjoy the beautiful flowers & landscaping.

Find a outdoor spot to eat, drink and watch the world go by.

Wallow into the craziness that is "Old Town Square" watch the clock, watch the entertainment but watch out for your wallet too! There is a tourist office right by the clock ( on your left if you are facing the clock) with loads of information

The Jewish quarter is very interesting and there are several walking tours to take that include this area.

Enjoy a leisurely walk across the Charles Bridge.

Prague is a beautiful, safe, walkable city with loads of things to be enjoyed. Get out and just wander you'll find lots of interesting places. :)

ll

I'm putting these two posts together because both of them have very good advice. Prague Castle is or can be an all day affair and The Jewish Quarter is wonderful, but I would suggest a guided tour. Like the Castle, you will have several options when purchasing your ticket. It is very close to the Old Town Square, which is not to be missed but is widely known for restaurants, shopping and pickpockets so be aware of your wallet at all times.

If you're a fan of history, I recommend looking into the walking tours offered by The Naked Tour Guide. They're all English-speaking, and give really in-depth information about different parts of Prague. Their story telling is great, and they take advantage of public transportation to get you further on a tour that lasts just a few hours. I'd highly recommend them.

ewizabeff also has some great advice. When you get to the Old Town Square you will find kiosks all over the place for tours of Prague in every language, as well as the surrounding areas. These kiosks are of a permanent nature so I would feel comfortable in asking CC posters if they've used any of them. We were with a tour so did not.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Just a note, if you do pursue the Naked Tour Guide, (small group tours of 4-6, usually), you'll need to book in advance on their website. They only do online orders, and they will routinely sell out weeks in advance. You can also check them out on Facebook to get an idea of the types of things you see on the tour.

My blog (link in my signature) has the details of what we did in Prague. We never made it to the castle, but I would agree that if you do the Jewish Quarter you will want to use a guide/tour. As for Wenceslas Square and Old Town, the free audio tour available in the Rick Steves app was perfectly sufficient.

We were in Prague 3 weeks ago and were able to see almost everything that has been mentioned plus. We used Nina, a private guide, for 2 days. Check out her website: ninapragueguide.com

She was outstanding!

Go to Kampa Island (at the far end of the Charles Bridge) and drink beer in the sidewalk cafes!!

Get a copy of the Rick Steves guidebook to Prague ... it's great!!

Trip Advisor "things to Do" on the Prague page has suggestions and reviews for each attraction.

Edited by HDS

Trip Advisor "things to Do" on the Prague page has suggestions and reviews for each attraction.

And traveler reviews will give you a great idea of what to expect as far as admission costs, walking and eating. :D

...Visit Prague Castle- easy to do on your own via tram, once there buy the English audio guide.

Take the funicular to the top of Petrin Hill and go up in the tower or just enjoy the beautiful flowers & landscaping...

Enjoy a leisurely walk across the Charles Bridge...

I'll point out that all three of the items I cut & pasted above (Petrin Hill, Castle, Charles Bridge) can be done in one walk. Take the funicular up Petrin, walk through the park down to the Castle, then continue down the hill to Charles Bridge. I'm guessing it might be 2 km but almost entirely downhill. HIGHLY recommended, especially on a nice day (I've done it in April when the flowering trees were in bloom):)

Thom

I'll point out that all three of the items I cut & pasted above (Petrin Hill, Castle, Charles Bridge) can be done in one walk. Take the funicular up Petrin, walk through the park down to the Castle, then continue down the hill to Charles Bridge. I'm guessing it might be 2 km but almost entirely downhill. HIGHLY recommended, especially on a nice day (I've done it in April when the flowering trees were in bloom).

Thom

Thank you, Thom.

I always enjoy your posts - so informative. I will stay in Prague 3 days in November at the Viking hotel (Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel).

Can you please tell me how to get to "the funicular up Petrin" from our hotel: Address is: Zitna 561/8, 120 00 Prague 2? :confused:

...Can you please tell me how to get to "the funicular up Petrin" from our hotel: Address is: Zitna 561/8, 120 00 Prague 2? :confused:
Thank you for your kind words. From http://www.prague.net/funicular : The funicular railway starts in Mala Strana (Lesser Town), at the tram stop “Ujezd” and end up the Petrin hill. I think that Trams 6 and 22 go directly from Charles Square to Ujezd. Tram fare is currently 32CZK (Czech koruna) equal to US$1.32; half of that for 70+ for up to 90 minutes (24CZK for 30 minutes). Unless things have changed the funicular is an allowed connection on the tram fare, no additional ticket needed. The hotel desk should be able to confirm all of this and tell you where to buy transportation tickets (they cost more if bought on-board). Prague is a wonderful city; I was first there the week the Russian troops were pulling out in May 1991 and everybody was so happy and things so cheap I was afraid to go back thinking that things couldn't match that. I have been there several times in the last ten years, and while it is not as cheap as it was, it is still just as wonderful. ENJOY!

Thom

Thank you for your kind words. From http://www.prague.net/funicular : The funicular railway starts in Mala Strana (Lesser Town), at the tram stop “Ujezd” and end up the Petrin hill. I think that Trams 6 and 22 go directly from Charles Square to Ujezd. Tram fare is currently 32CZK (Czech koruna) equal to US$1.32; half of that for 70+ for up to 90 minutes (24CZK for 30 minutes). Unless things have changed the funicular is an allowed connection on the tram fare, no additional ticket needed. The hotel desk should be able to confirm all of this and tell you where to buy transportation tickets (they cost more if bought on-board). Prague is a wonderful city; I was first there the week the Russian troops were pulling out in May 1991 and everybody was so happy and things so cheap I was afraid to go back thinking that things couldn't match that. I have been there several times in the last ten years, and while it is not as cheap as it was, it is still just as wonderful. ENJOY!

Thom

Thanks so much, Thom. I love that website - hours of fun there! I think riding the funicular sounds like fun. ;)

How fortunate for you and so memorable to have been there in 1991! I so look forward to seeing all the fascinating places in Prague and probable will sleep little in Prague.

I am thinking of the Hop-On/Hop-Off Bus. Do you think we can see most of the sights this way without hiring a Private Guide? :confused:

Donna

...I am thinking of the Hop-On/Hop-Off Bus. Do you think we can see most of the sights this way without hiring a Private Guide?
Most of the main Prague sites are either in Old Town or at Castle Hill and these are quite compact walkable areas. The walk I suggested goes right by Strahov Monastery between Petrin Hill and the Castle. I'm a DIY type and can read maps quite well, so with a decent guide book I personally would use neither HOHO nor a private guide. But between those two in Prague I'd find the guide more useful than the HOHO which really only skirts the edges of Old Town and Castle Hill.

Thom

Most of the main Prague sites are either in Old Town or at Castle Hill and these are quite compact walkable areas. The walk I suggested goes right by Strahov Monastery between Petrin Hill and the Castle. I'm a DIY type and can read maps quite well, so with a decent guide book I personally would use neither HOHO nor a private guide. But between those two in Prague I'd find the guide more useful than the HOHO which really only skirts the edges of Old Town and Castle Hill. Thom

Thanks again, Thom. I have read most of the brand new Rick Steves Prague book and I think his maps very easy to follow. I love maps! Some places give a discount when you show them Rick's book.

I really appreciate your perspective. ;)

I haven't read all the responses so forgive me if I am repeating something someone else told you. We were just there the end of May. We booked a cooking lesson at a private home with Tereza and it was wonderful. She picked us up by public transportation and we went to her apt across the river. Weeks before we had chosen our menu and were excited. Tereza is also a licensed tour guide and extremely knowledgeable. Here is a link to my blog where I wrote about our cooking lesson: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/our-czech-cooking-lesson-with-tereza/

We also booked a trip outside of Prague to Kutna Hora to see the Church of St. Barbara - the most beautiful church in central Europe as well as the Ossuary at Sedlec where the famed bone church is. Here are two more blog posts: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/kutna-hora-and-st-barbaras-church-outside-of-prague-czech-republic/ and https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/15/sedlec-ossuary-in-kutna-hora-aka-the-bone-church-czech-republic/

Finally, we did a touristy thing and booked a dinner outside of the city again for a Czech Folklore Dancing Dinner Show - here is the info: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/wrapping-up-prague-weird-stories-a-great-restaurant-and-activities-on-the-main-square/

Hope this information helps you.

Thank you for that Valley Girl. I've just been reading your blog and see you just completed that same River Cruise we are booked on 8/1! I've contacted Tereza and will see if she has availability but your activities in Prague were just perfect! Did you stay in Budapest? Any hints there?

Valley Girl:

I, too, am a Valley girl in the San Fernando Valley (L.A. California); however, I lived in Norfolk for 2-1/2 years when my children were young. Thanks for your website. I had forgotten to look at it lately so I appreciate your Links.

And your photos are really wonderful. Thanks! ;)

Dripps - We did spend an extra night in Budapest and spent the day at the market. We didn't do as much as we had planned because it was over 90 degrees and it really zapped our energy. We took the train the next afternoon to Vienna where we switched for a sleeper to Venice where we stayed for two nights. I'll be posting in my blog what we did after Venice :)

I really enjoyed the read! I'm so anxious for our trip and I still have just under a year to go. I'm just happy I can say "less than a year."

Thank you very much. The rest of the journey will be in the thread Live - AMAPrima or just subscribe to the blog to get it automatically.

It's fun doing all the planning for a trip and before you know it, it's time to get on the airplane and begin doing what you have dreamed and planned for a long time.

A little of the beaten path is the horse statue memorial on Vitkov hill. You can go all the way up with the elevator for a great view. Inside is an interesting little museum about the recent history of Prague: the two world wars, Czech independence (Woodrow Wilson is a hero in CZ), communism, the velvet revolution and the sad partition of the country in 1993. Everything is clearly labelled and explaned in english. The view from the coffee shop is also really something. next door is the military museum, but we have never been in there.

There is also a Woodrow Wilson statue in the little park across the central station by the way, which might be baffling to Americans.

We just returned from a Danube cruise from Prague/Passau to Budapest last week and had a ball. These were beautiful cities with tons of stuff to see and do, especially just kicking back at an outdoor café with some wine and pastry and enjoy the scenery and watching people. We took the "Taste of Prague" and similar one in Budapest where you visit 5 or 6 cafes/restaurants/markets and sample their local food and drink. Our guides on both tours were young and energetic, as well as spoke fluent English and quite witty and informative on all aspects of life in both cities. Plus you only have 3 or 4 other people on these tours making for a perfect experience. Check them out on TripAdvisor as they both have fire-walled ratings!