Help with airfare from Galveston in Jan

MikeMA

Hi All,

I just booked my airfare for our Jan9th cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston. My return flight leaves out if Houston Hobby at 12:55PM. Although this is my 10th cruise, it is my 1st out of Galveston and I am not sure if this will give us enough time.

It is my family and brother and sister in laws. Total of 4 adults and 3 children. I called Carnival and the agent said for Hobby Airport we were probably ok but that they recommend 1:30pm and on.

I read through some reviews but they are all a few years old and am trying to get advice from those of you who have traveled more recently.

Thanks for any help !

Hi All,

I just booked my airfare for our Jan9th cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston. My return flight leaves out if Houston Hobby at 12:55PM. Although this is my 10th cruise, it is my 1st out of Galveston and I am not sure if this will give us enough time.

It is my family and brother and sister's family. Total of 4 adults and 3 children. I called Carnival and the agent said for Hobby Airport we were probably ok but that they recommend 1:30pm and on.

I read through some reviews but they are all a few years old and am trying to get advice from those of you who have traveled more recently.

Thanks for any help !

Hi All,

It is my family and brother and sister's family. Total of 4 adults and 3 children. I called Carnival and the agent said for Hobby Airport we were probably ok but that they recommend 1:30pm and on.

Thanks for any help !

I have left as early as 1215 flight from Houston Hobby. Self assist and be the first group off the boat and you should be on the first shuttle by 9 a.m. . Its a one hour drive to Houston Hobby so you'll be there at about 10 a.m. . Even with traffic delays you should be there by 10:30 a.m. And unless it's an international flight you'll be fine.

For our next cruise we will be leaving from Houston Hobby at 12:30. Because I didn't want to wait for Carnival to fill up a huge bus before they head for hobby I booked a transportation service that uses small shuttles and will pick us up as early as 8:30 a.m..

You should be fine unless there is fog. In that case all bets are off.

We have had several January cruises out of Galveston impacted by fog. Last one was on the Magic. It did not dock until 2pm. Priority boarding began at 5:30pm. We were supposed to sail at 8:30, but the fog rolled in again and we departed at 3:45am.

there is only one way off the island. there is also only one way out of the terminal. if something happens, you are hosed.

would have to do self disembark most likely and then have a service be there to pick you up.

and even then you are pushing your luck.

We will have private transportation from the port to Hobby airport as only my family is flying(brother and sister live in Texas and are taking us to the airport from their personal vehicle. I was more concerned with 7 of us getting off the ship by say 9:30/10 the latest.

I can change the flight with no problem as Southwest has another flight leaving at 2:30 I believe and there are no change flight fees.

I called them and the agent said as long as we check in at airport by 11:30/11:45 we would be ok.

If it's only 40 minutes from the port I can't see us not making it unless we have Fog or the ship is notorious for disembarking late.

Any recent cruisers on the Freedom have input?

I think it's fine. We did our first cruise out of galveston and we were overly worried about flight time. We had the Carnival transfer to the airport and we were some of the first ones off the ship and had to wait for the bus to be filled. Once it filled we were off to the airport. We got there by some obnoxiously early time like 8:30? We didn't want to wait that long so we ended up paying to switch to an earlier flight.

Remember Carnival suggests flights no earlier than Noon and you are following those guidelines.

We did this same thing a few years ago and arrived at the airport before 11:30. You can prearrange with suppershuttle , cruise port to Hobby was 18.00 per person for six of us plus tip. When we got to the bottom of the escalator at the terminal we found a porter that gathered our luggage and went straight to customs and out the door, bypassing a very long line through customs. We did this without self disembarking. happy cruising

Hi All,

I posted on the Carnival thread but afew members suggested I post here.

I just booked my airfare for our Jan9th cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston. My return flight leaves out of Houston Hobby at 12:55PM on Sat 16th. Although this is my 10th cruise, it is my 1st out of Galveston and I am not sure if this will give us enough time.

It is my family and brother and sister in laws. Total of 4 adults and 3 children. I called Carnival and the agent said for Hobby Airport we were probably ok but that they recommend flights for 1:30pm and after. He said that Hobby airport is about 30 min closer than G. Bush so it "should" be fine.

I read through some reviews but they are all a few years old and am trying to get advice from those of you who have traveled more recently. (possibly on the Freedom)

As a side note we will have our own transportation from Galveston as my sister in law lives in Texas and will be driving us from the Port after we all get off the ship.

Thanks for any help, always appreciated!

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
threads moved from incorrect forums & merged into one thread on the correct forum

Our magic cruise in early Feb 2014, we got delayed by fog. Granted we live 25 minutes from port but we didn't leave our house until after 6 pm and didn't get on the ship until just before 9 pm. On our return home, we didn't get off the ship until 7 pm. Fog is always a consideration in Galveston in Jan-early March.

we live just north of Houston (conroe) and if we carry our bags off first thing we can be home by noon. our experience is to get a porter in the terminal and you will zip right through. if possible I would move the flight back a couple if hours but if you don't get delayed at the terminal or on the freeway you will make it.

We always drive to Galveston however Galveston is usually pretty quick with disembarkation UNLESS there are two carnival ships in port. When we were unloading at the same time as the triumph it took a lot longer but still not too long. You should be able to get off before 9 without a problem and then get to Houston within 40-45 minutes so you should be fine [emoji4]

I also live in the Houston area (on the north side of Harris County, Houston's home county) and I agree that it is possible to make an early flight, but you also may not. The Port of Galveston is known for delays due to fog (the Port of Houston/Baytown is even worse). We have been delayed for hours trying to get into both ports. Our last trip out of Galveston did no even dock until noon, and it then took us until 3PM to finally get off (we did not carry off our luggage).

I know that it is a tough choice, but at least you are aware of the possible delays. No way to know what to expect, but fog is very common during the winter months.

I agree with your comment regarding fog; but is rare in January. Much more prevalent as the air warms and the water is still cool - late February into March and early April.

As much as fog is talked about, it only occurs a few days a year with some years having none.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

I agree with your comment regarding fog; but is rare in January. Much more prevalent as the air warms and the water is still cool - late February into March and early April.

As much as fog is talked about, it only occurs a few days a year with some years having none.

True, but we have been delayed every time that we have returned to Galveston, or Houston, due to fog and our cruises have been in January or February. Never know, since SE Texas weather is so variable in the winter months.