Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?

fstuff1

More nickel and diming?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. More nickel and diming?

• Yes
    • No

I know I can always go to the main dining room for marginal food. However, NCL is ruining one of the great aspects of cruise ship specialty dining. That being, not worrying about what you order or what it costs. If you pay one fee up front, you know the price, and you are not thinking about the expense of each individual item. Should I order that or not? That, to me, is what makes it great. My thinking is usually this meal would cost me at least double on land.

If I want a la carte, I'll stay in a resort. With this one more thing, I'll stay off NCL as well.

To me this is one more step on the slippery slope ..... Part of what makes cruising an attractive option is being able to pre-plan your out of pocket costs. Somehow I think even those on the UDP/SDP will soon see upcharges for many menu options. I think 10 years from now the only food that will be included in cruise fares will be the buffet and everything else at a packaged flat fee w/ upcharges or completely a'la carte. If this trend continues I may more and more reconsider my love of cruising and just do city breaks instead

Kind of a biased "poll" wouldn't you say. You don't know or even come close to actual "new" costs starting in January. Then as the "poll" originator you immediately post your reason as to why it's bad.

Last time NCL made any changes the same people made the complaint that no one was given advance notice. Now NCL gives almost 6 months advance notice of a change to a voluntary charge service and that is bad. How would you suggest NCL make the change?

When we know actual costs and can compare to the before and after pricing, a determination might be made. Until then, the jury is and should be out!!

The one time NCL needs AND should make a announcement regarding a change that should never be sprung on anyone and some people can't handle it because "Oh, No they made changes". And yes the jury is still out because they only gave roundabout estimate costs of the items and not the official itemized listing of prices.

Honestly, crying over a nickel & dime ploy? Because that what the specialty restaurants are - a nickel & dime ploy to get people away from complimentary places. Oh, but heaven forgive NCL for changing the prices & rules to their own nickel & dime scheme to get more people to buy dining plans or to just walk through the door to eat a main entree and maybe something else too for less than the original cover charge of the restaurant.

Kind of a biased "poll" wouldn't you say. You don't know or even come close to actual "new" costs starting in January. Then as the "poll" originator you immediately post your reason as to why it's bad.

Last time NCL made any changes the same people made the complaint that no one was given advance notice. Now NCL gives almost 6 months advance notice of a change to a voluntary charge service and that is bad. How would you suggest NCL make the change?

When we know actual costs and can compare to the before and after pricing, a determination might be made. Until then, the jury is and should be out!!

This was a part of the news release which does give you a great idea of what they will be charging.

Cagney’s Steakhouse, starters on the new à la carte menu range from $4.99 to $7.95 and main courses from $17.99 to $29.99

Le Bistro, in addition to traditional French favorites, including Bouillabaisse, Pan-Seared Jumbo Bay Scallops and Veal Medallions with Sauce Morrel, start$15.99.

La Cucina, antipasti, pasta, risotto and traditional secondi courses start at $12.99 including Osso Buco alla Milanese, Free-Range Chicken with Prosciutto or Pan-Seared Sea Bass Filet.

Moderno Churrascaria and Teppanyaki will remain at a cover charge of $19.95 and $29.95 respectively, as will entertainment dining including Wine Lovers The Musical and For The Record™: The Brat Pack.

Guests who purchase a Norwegian Specialty Dining Package have the freedom to indulge as they wish, as Specialty Dining Packages will allow guests to enjoy La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney’s Steakhouse at no additional charge.

Guests with a Specialty Dining Package can dine in Bayamo by Jose Garces for an additional fee of $15.

Ocean Blue on BA and GA will also begin offering à la carte options on October 3, 2015, and the new à la carte dining will be available fleetwide beginning January 1, 2016.

Cirque Dreams & Dinner and The Illusionarium, will remain at a cover charge.

How would you suggest NCL make the change?

Not at all.

You don't need to be a Rocket Surgeon to reasonably assume that for probably 99% of people that visit specialty restaurants this is going to end up costing more than price fixed with a full course inclusion.

So, let me make sure that all who read this understand that this post is my opinion. Not fact, not law, not YOUR opinion. Mine.

As specialty dining is an option onboard the ship, in whatever fashion NCL chooses to charge for it, I can choose to pay or not pay. Simple as that. They are not making me go to the specialty restaurant and buy two appetizers and a main course. It's ALL MY CHOICE. For those who are worried about a budget, plan ahead. Look at the prices when they're available and decide if what you're likely to spend is ok, or not. If you want better food included in the price, consider a cruise line that has better food in the MDR, so that it is built into the price.

But most of all, enjoy your vacation. If you want to have a good time you will, if you are looking to not have a good time, likely you wont have a good time...

For those who are worried about a budget, plan ahead.

First off, EVERYONE is on a budget of some sort. Whether it be $10 or $100K, everyones got a budget of some sort.

Now, I DID plan ahead. And I booked. Since then NCL raised the prices. Then they added 18% on top of that. Now they are raising prices again via a la carte. So just like you I can decide if it's a good value or not, and spend money or not. Going to be the same restaurant, same food, same service...just for 20% - 70% more overall cost if you want the same food you get with todays blanket cover charge. So how is giving me absolutely nothing more, but charging me more, a good value? It isn't. So I won't participate. Charging more but not giving people more is the essence of nickle and diming

I think many people will feel similarly. So they'll head back to the MDR. So now are the MDR's going to be overcrowded, have long waits, and poor service? It makes one wonder. Anyone can see the first domino fall, but can you always see the 10th domino knocked down?

But basically, you're pretty spot on with things and your opinion is certainly as valid as anyone elses here.

Edited by LMaxwell

First off, EVERYONE is on a budget of some sort. Whether it be $10 or $100K, everyones got a budget of some sort.

Now, I DID plan ahead. And I booked. Since then NCL raised the prices. Then they added 18% on top of that. Now they are raising prices again via a la carte. So just like you I can decide if it's a good value or not, and spend money or not. Going to be the same restaurant, same food, same service...just for 20% - 70% more overall cost if you want the same food you get with todays blanket cover charge. So how is giving me absolutely nothing more, but charging me more, a good value? It isn't. So I won't participate. Charging more but not giving people more is the essence of nickle and diming

I think many people will feel similarly. So they'll head back to the MDR. So now are the MDR's going to be overcrowded, have long waits, and poor service? It makes one wonder. Anyone can see the first domino fall, but can you always see the 10th domino knocked down?

But basically, you're pretty spot on with things and your opinion is certainly as valid as anyone elses here.

Let me guess - you're not planning to buy the 3-7 day SDP so you can avoid a la carte pricing? Because a fiscally smart person who's planning to eat full 3 course meals on NCL would be wise to at least buy the 3 day SDP for $69 per person to avoid the overcharges.

How about taking a deep breath and look at the fine print - those restaurants are still covered by the UDP/SDP, which acts as a cover charge / pre fixe for them. You can still prepay the SDP even after change happens in October and if you still choose to pay alot for a la carte pricing without the SDP - well, that's your budget problem to deal with...

Edit: Specialty dining is a nickel & dime from the very beginning - there's nothing to really mope about. Now it just like dining at regular diner or restaurant, except of course, there's UDP/ SDP involve.

Edited by maywell

I've only had a few experiences with NCL specialty restaurants, but generally I'll say that if they're going to make me pay MORE than land based restaurants (which is where we're heading, as far as what I pay locally for teppanyaki and a prix fixe bistro meal), they are going to have to yank the food quality I experienced WAY up.

I've only had a few experiences with NCL specialty restaurants, but generally I'll say that if they're going to make me pay MORE than land based restaurants (which is where we're heading, as far as what I pay locally for teppanyaki and a prix fixe bistro meal), they are going to have to yank the food quality I experienced WAY up.

The cheapest French bistro prix-fix meals near my job are like $20-25 without tax & tip and includes glass(es) of wine - So no, NCL will never be able to top that, in my book. Either the pricing (imo is similar to Applebees, for example) is going to affect you or its not. And in my case its not because I live and work in NYC - The all-you-can-buffet seafood steakhouse down the street from me has better quality and lower prices than the cover charges at NCL. I don't cruise NCL for food, that's for sure....

No, but i do consider threads like this to be more looking for a reason to whine and complain.

You should be glad that if you're going to play laydown some of us stand up to being price gouged. This is now basically what, the third price increase for NCL specialty this year?

With all due respect, you could plan ahead as much as you want for any cruise or for any land based vacation, and while your initial cruise fare will not increase once you book (same as hotel price or resort price for land based vacations), any extra services could always increase in price. A hotel, for example, that has a restaurant, could increase those prices once you are actually staying there, but the price of your room is as you booked it. Disney World does this all the time too. They raise ticket prices, food prices, souvenir prices, etc. but your resort costs the same as it did when you booked it. This isn't any different.

Unfortunately, those of us who plan ahead, and I am inlcluded as we plan a year in advance, usually see some sort of an increase in extras by the time we sail or vacation. We lock in a lower cruise fare or hotel rate sometimes, but other things usually go up. This is to be expected.

The NCL brand is becoming known for nickel & diming it's customers.

I think some there understand the desire of cruisers to simplify their experience (UDP, etc.). I can only assume someone let bean counters into the marketing / pricing meetings over the last few months and that has resulted in the current string of initiatives aimed at chiseling a few more dollars from each passenger.

Bad move from my point of view. Customers may not complain out-loud but they do vote with their feet; and there are other lines out there serving the same markets.

NCL marketing is drilling below the water line.

Let me guess - you're not planning to buy the 3-7 day SDP so you can avoid a la carte pricing? Because a fiscally smart person who's planning to eat full 3 course meals on NCL would be wise to at least buy the 3 day SDP for $69 per person to avoid the overcharges.

No. I am not going to spend $138 for my wife and I to have 3 specialty meals. The MDR will be suitable for a full 3 course meal and is already paid for in my cruise fare.

The cheapest French bistro prix-fix meals near my job are like $20-25 without tax & tip and includes glass(es) of wine - So no, NCL will never be able to top that, in my book. Either the pricing (imo is similar to Applebees, for example) is going to affect you or its not. And in my case its not because I live and work in NYC - The all-you-can-buffet seafood steakhouse down the street from me has better quality and lower prices than the cover charges at NCL. I don't cruise NCL for food, that's for sure....

I get the "I don't cruise for the food" argument. But my MDR meal--and yes I am speaking from limited experience, that is singular--was better than my $20 La Cucina meal in all particulars. So if I'm already lowering food quality expectations, I'm just going to eat the food that is included in my fare.

To put another way: if they want me spending money in specialities, they are doing it wrong.

Wasn't it not long ago that they lowered the specialty restaurants by .05. Now they're a la carte....unless you get the UDP or the SDP or whatever they're calling it now.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Unfortunately, those of us who plan ahead, and I am inlcluded as we plan a year in advance, usually see some sort of an increase in extras by the time we sail or vacation. We lock in a lower cruise fare or hotel rate sometimes, but other things usually go up. This is to be expected.

Yes, and as things go up and no longer fit into the budget one must re-examine the priority of things included within the budget and chop some things out in order to meet that initial budget, not go above and beyond the budget in order to have the same experience. I'm not going to blow past what I have allotted for a vacation because a price of an extra increased; I am going to skip the extra and come in under budget.

It's a lifestyle philosophy. I abhor debt and carry no debts and have no loans except for our mortgage. Not everyone is disciplined like that and some place a higher value on experiences than I might.

But just because I may have budgeted $60-70 for a meal, if that meal is now $100, I am skipping it. I am not going to spend $140 to get three meals. My initial budget was $60-70 and on a cruise I knew that got me an inclusive meal where I could order 5 courses without additional charges. Now I can't. So I won't have a limited experience for my budget. I'll skip it and keep the money.

Yes, and as things go up and no longer fit into the budget one must re-examine the priority of things included within the budget and chop some things out in order to meet that initial budget, not go above and beyond the budget in order to have the same experience. I'm not going to blow past what I have allotted for a vacation because a price of an extra increased; I am going to skip the extra and come in under budget.

It's a lifestyle philosophy. I abhor debt and carry no debts and have no loans except for our mortgage. Not everyone is disciplined like that and some place a higher value on experiences than I might.

But just because I may have budgeted $60-70 for a meal, if that meal is now $100, I am skipping it. I am not going to spend $140 to get three meals. My initial budget was $60-70 and on a cruise I knew that got me an inclusive meal where I could order 5 courses without additional charges. Now I can't. So I won't have a limited experience for my budget. I'll skip it and keep the money.

Couldn't agree more!

Rochelle

We have a 14 night cruise on ncl Dawn scheduled for October 30,2015. We have always gone ncl but can not get excited about this trip with all the changes. We have always loved ncl but things seem very different now and changing daily. We are considering canceling and going with celebrity that has a much better itinerary and better ship. Sad because we never considered anything but ncl up until now. THANKS NCL. Great CHOICE REPLACING KEVIN SHEEHAN,!!! NOT,!!!!!!

Edited by hladygirl

The poll asks, "Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?"

Most folks have been commenting about the nickel and diming. But, my answer to the FULL poll questions is "no", because I have no clue if it was generated by Mr. Del Rio or by NCL President Andy Stuart, the guy actually responsible for running NCL. However, the quote from Mr. Stuart reported earlier in this thread leads me to make an educated guess that it was actually established by Mr. Stuart, not Mr. Del Rio.

Now, if you want to make the poll, "Do you consider A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickle and diming?" (and leave out the personal animosity), my answer is STILL "no", because any charge for specialty dining in the first place is nickle and diming -- a simple change in the way that charge is made is not MORE nickle and diming.

So, if you change the poll again, and make it, "Do you consider A La Carte' Dining nickle and diming?"(leaving out the word "more", my answer is "yes". In fact, you could shorten the poll question even more and make it, "Do you consider Specialty Dining nickle and diming?" (leaving out A La Carte'), and my answer would be YES!

When I started cruising, there was a main dining room for dinner. There was a pool grill for lunch, but it closed by dinner. There was no buffet. If you wanted dinner, you ate in the main dining room (and sat at the same table, at the same time, and with the same people, every night).

Then, someone got the bright idea that if they offered marginally better food in fake exclusiveness, they could charge for it and make more money. THAT is nickle and diming.

Some folks on this thread have said, if you don't like it, cruise on some other line. Actually, there's a better way. I don't like it, so I vote with my dollars. I simply won't pay for specialty dining in any fashion. The MDR has always been good enough for me, and that's not about to change for me, no matter how they present it. We're booked on Pearl in November; we had a choice of offers -- UDP, OBC, or paid DSC (I don't think the beverage package was available for that cruise at that time, but we don't drink, so we wouldn't have picked it anyway). The one item in that offer that was definitely going to cost us money out of our pocket was the DSC -- so we picked that, as it actually lowered the cost of our cruise. I notice they have not repeated that offer :rolleyes:.

So, the bottom line is that nothing on the ship is nickle and diming unless you want it to be. You don't have to go to a specialty restaurant, you don't have to take ship excursions, you don't have to buy photos, you don't have to buy artwork, you don't need to visit the spa, all you really need to do is relax and let the staff clean up after you, make your bed, feed you and entertain you. What else matters?

Now, if you want to make the poll, "Do you consider A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickle and diming?" (and leave out the personal animosity), my answer is STILL "no", because any charge for specialty dining in the first place is nickle and diming -- a simple change in the way that charge is made is not MORE nickle and diming.

No. Your premise that specialty dining with any upcharge is nickle and diming is false. Seating for specialty dining is a limited resource and if it was free, then everyone would use that resource, thus create a shortage. The charge was supposed to resolve the problem through simple supply and demand economics. MDR dining quality did not suffer, so specialty dining was truly an "extra." But a funny thing happened along the way... NCL began giving specialty dining away for free by making the UDP a defacto part of the fare. Every move since then has been to "correct" this action by essentially raising the cost to the passenger and limiting their options.

NCL has a clear strategy in mind. They've been sacrificing the common/included parts of the cruise and expanding the upcharge add-ons. Pools and theater on the Breakaway ships are smaller per capita because they had to build a Vibe Beach Club, Speigel Tent (upcharge only entertainment) and an expanded Haven. Quite frankly, the mucking with specialty dining is the least offensive since the MDR food is still excellent. The small main theater and common pool areas on the newer ships have a much greater impact.

So yes, the change from a flat rate to a la carte is pretty much the definition of nickle and diming, but it depends on how the SDP/UDP shakes out. If the SDP/UDP is unchanged, all this does is give people more options. (Options that no sane person would want assuming the flat rate cover charges remain the same.) However, considering the new menus aren't in effect, nobody knows the extent of this new policy, so the poll is premature, not incorrect.

NCL has a clear strategy in mind. They've been sacrificing the common/included parts of the cruise and expanding the upcharge add-ons.

I think that is a very cogent and holistic summation of what we have seen the past 5 years and will see the next 5 years. Cruising in 2020 is going to make cruising in 2010 look like the golden ages, and cruising in 2010 already looked coin operated compared to cruising in 2000.