Have Roll Calls Died?

denmarks

I joined my first roll call about 5-6 years ago and volunteered to create a website to keep track of activities. The first year we had over 100 people at the Meet and Greet and many more than that listed in the roll call.

Every year since then I have volunteered to keep track of events and every year the participation has declined. I hope it has nothing to do with my website.

This year I created my site again. We just reached last payment date and had less than 5 active CC ID or about 10 people on the roll call. I finally decided to drop my web site and announced it last week. There have been no postings for at least a week. Is is just luck that there may be an active roll call or has participation declined?

I've had mixed luck with roll calls given my limited experience. My Gem roll call was most active and we had about 20 cc'ers show up plus travel companions. I haven't had anyone join my Fascination roll call but it's still over a year away.

It is a strange coincidence that the topic of "roll calls are dying" came to be more heavily discussed almost simultaneous with Cruise Critic adding the Find Your Roll Call tool. Were people so used to finding their roll calls through the board's main menu that they found the new way less user-friendly even though the opposite was intended?

But there also has been an uptick in comments from long time cruisers no longer wanting to join roll calls where an uber-organizer asks for personal information (full names, cabin numbers, e-mail addresses) to put on a spreadsheet or website for all other participants to see. You can bet that trend will continue.

I rarely join roll calls, though I often visit the ones for my sailings at least weekly. I find that they are monopolized by 2 - 3 people who use them as chat rooms, or else the "organizer" wants too much personal information. In addition I really don't see that they serve any useful purpose.

I've found that the activity on a roll call generally reflects the number of ports of call. With a lot of ports, people have more questions to ask and more input to offer. An extreme example of the reverse is my upcoming QM2 November 5 sailing. Perhaps only three or four on it, and zero activity for the last couple of months. Of course, that is a 7 day straight crossing Southampton to New York - which people rightly see more as transportation than as a cruise.

I agree that the uber-organizers tend to take control on active threads and tend to dominate things.

I agree that the uber-organizers tend to take control on active threads and tend to dominate things.

You may be correct. I just created a website as a hobby and indicated that everything was optional. It was a way to give information about the ship and ports along with details about activities. Maybe some do not like that. When I attended Meet and Greets many members thanked me for the trouble of maintaining the website. I just gave ideas and it was up to others to volunteer to run anything.

I have had fun doing it for about 4-5 years and I guess it is time to "retire".

It is a strange coincidence that the topic of "roll calls are dying" came to be more heavily discussed almost simultaneous with Cruise Critic adding the Find Your Roll Call tool. Were people so used to finding their roll calls through the board's main menu that they found the new way less user-friendly even though the opposite was intended?

But there also has been an uptick in comments from long time cruisers no longer wanting to join roll calls where an uber-organizer asks for personal information (full names, cabin numbers, e-mail addresses) to put on a spreadsheet or website for all other participants to see. You can bet that trend will continue.

I still go to mine the old way. Never had a problem finding it.

If someone wants more personal info than is necessary, I just don't supply it.

The uber-organizer certainly scares me off.

The uber-organizer certainly scares me off.

Yup, asking for your name, your cabin #, your blood group, and making endless "spread sheets" etc etc.:)

I also HATE when, there is already one person doing the roll call list, and another self proclaimed list maker just butts in and takes it all in their hand, creating more and more confusion.:mad:

I noticed NCL (usually) has more active roll calls.

At the risk of offending the OP, we generally avoid any Roll Call where somebody tries to "organize things," set up web sites, schedule silly activities (like slot pulls), plan to have skits at the M&G, etc. For us the only use of the Roll Call is to work with others on certain private tours or port related issues. And these issues only become important on cruises to lesser known ports around the world (not including the Caribbean).

As to M&Gs they are usually held on the first sea day late in the morning. At that particular time we are probably in our comfy deck chairs (with our Kindles) and relaxing. The idea of giving up our comfy seat to go to some public lounge and listen to annoying intros, speeches, etc. is not why we take cruises.

Hank

I think that some roll calls tend to be more active than others. Some times it could be just the luck of the draw. Other times because there is a low number of members from this site (I would imagine there are plenty of active cruisers who still have never heard of CC or if they did, don't care to participate). Or someone looks at a roll call for a cruise they're going on and get scared off.

I really don't mind those who are chatting (I can be accused of being the same way), but if it seems the main purpose for those posting is to set up shore excursions (which we're not interested in joining) or setting up on board activities other than a meet and greet (and even then if the meet and greet is about meeting each other; not interested in having to listen to ship's officers speak) -- not interested in slot pulls, private lunches, etc.), then I'm not interested.

At the risk of offending the OP, we generally avoid any Roll Call where somebody tries to "organize things," set up web sites, schedule silly activities (like slot pulls), plan to have skits at the M&G, etc. For us the only use of the Roll Call is to work with others on certain private tours or port related issues. And these issues only become important on cruises to lesser known ports around the world (not including the Caribbean).

Hank

I'm not offended. I never thought of it that way. To tell you the truth I never really cared for the roll call. It just gave me an excuse to try various things on my website. I'll now have to find another outlet for playing with websites.

Really, really hope I don't offend anyone with this. I think roll calls are kind of obsolete with Facebook and other social media now. I'm 38 and I think most cruisers my age (and definitely those younger than me) use social media to connect to other cruisers if they are so inclined. There are easy to use cruise apps now so people can connect from their phones, unlike Tapatalk which I don't find to be very user friendly.

I also think the quality of the Meet and Greet really varies from line to line. My experience has been that on NCL the officers show up and it is held in a private room and on RCI it is held in a room that is open to the public and there are no officers present (usually just a junior entertainer).

All that said, I still love joining roll calls and I know when I went on my Med cruise it was wonderful to organize with others in advance for private tours.

Really, really hope I don't offend anyone with this. I think roll calls are kind of obsolete with Facebook and other social media now. I'm 38 and I think most cruisers my age (and definitely those younger than me) use social media to connect to other cruisers if they are so inclined. There are easy to use cruise apps now so people can connect from their phones, unlike Tapatalk which I don't find to be very user friendly.

I also think the quality of the Meet and Greet really varies from line to line. My experience has been that on NCL the officers show up and it is held in a private room and on RCI it is held in a room that is open to the public and there are no officers present (usually just a junior entertainer).

All that said, I still love joining roll calls and I know when I went on my Med cruise it was wonderful to organize with others in advance for private tours.

Just a few years ago, I had considered joining the roll call for my cruise on Facebook until I realized how insecure it was -- that anyone can access it and get the names (real ones) of those posting. I even told Princess the reason why I wasn't doing so. I did notice that just months later the roll calls went away on the Princess FB area, so I'm guessing they got similar complaints.

Roll calls have always been great for me! You gain a load of information and we have always met some great people. I understand people who don't want to participate in slot pulls and cabin crawls, it is not for everyone. I find them fun and always love seeing some beautiful cabins that I can't afford. Finding some great tours, and sharing them with other passengers has really made my cruises so much better. We are now on a very active roll call for a TA cruise. The moderators of cruise critic have had to set up a part 2 for our roll call because we have had so many posts. I am a big fan of the roll call.

Roll calls have always been great for me! You gain a load of information and we have always met some great people. I understand people who don't want to participate in slot pulls and cabin crawls, it is not for everyone. I find them fun and always love seeing some beautiful cabins that I can't afford. Finding some great tours, and sharing them with other passengers has really made my cruises so much better. We are now on a very active roll call for a TA cruise. The moderators of cruise critic have had to set up a part 2 for our roll call because we have had so many posts. I am a big fan of the roll call.

Love hearing of successful roll calls! :)

Are there any special things when it was first posted that helped make your roll call so active?

LuLu

On my last cruise, I joined the roll call. I got to know some of the folks while on the cruise, and we're still in contact. Our current roll call is pretty active, and some of us have crossed over to social media..

Edited by cruznjan

Just a few years ago' date=' I had considered joining the roll call for my cruise on Facebook until I realized how insecure it was -- that anyone can access it and get the names (real ones) of those posting. I even told Princess the reason why I wasn't doing so. I did notice that just months later the roll calls went away on the Princess FB area, so I'm guessing they got similar complaints.[/quote']

Interesting that CC doesn't allow info on Facebook roll calls. I wish they also prohibited other avenues also.