Temperatures in the Med in Decmeber

Giantfan13

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need some quick advice. We are looking at a 10 day Med cruise on NCL for December 9th of this year for $529, round trip from Barcelona. Ports are Cagliari, Sardinia, Palermo, Naples, Rome and Florence.

This seems like a great deal, but I was wondering what type of weather would we be encountering, especially temperature wise. is this a 'bad' time to be cruising the Med.

Thanks for all help

Cheers

Len

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need some quick advice. We are looking at a 10 day Med cruise on NCL for December 9th of this year for $529, round trip from Barcelona. Ports are Cagliari, Sardinia, Palermo, Naples, Rome and Florence.

This seems like a great deal, but I was wondering what type of weather would we be encountering, especially temperature wise. is this a 'bad' time to be cruising the Med.

Thanks for all help

Cheers

Len

We are booked on this cruise as well. Good deal! Last year over Christmas we sailed out of Barcelona but to the Canary Islands and Morocco. The weather was pleasant. A little cool in the morning and evenings but warmed up nicely during the day. We just wore layers and by afternoon we were down to just a light jacket. This cruise goes the other direction but I can't seen it being really cold. There was no need for a winter coat in Barcelona but I did see locals wearing them. I guess they aren't used to temperatures in the 60's. This year could be different. You can't depend on the weather.

There is a good reason why most cruise ships leave the Med by mid November (at the latest). You can certainly look up the weather history online, but you are truly cruising in the off season. While this does have some benefits (fewer tourists) it also has negatives. For example, in the season many travelers will go to Capri from Naples. But in December there is no way we would tell anyone to go to Capri...since most places on that island will be closed! So you do have to make some adjustments for the time of year and as long as you are a realist all will be wonderful.

As to weather, it is always a matter of luck. But at that time of the year the odds do not favor wonderful weather (but who cares about odds). If you are lucky temperatures will be cool and pleasant. If unlucky it could be cloudy, rainy, chilly and dreary.

Hank

Given that you understand December is likely cooler and with shorter days, I think that with your itinerary there is less risk of rain than with itineraries that have more northern ports. With exception of Florence (and possibly Rome), I think you would likely have reasonable weather.

I've been in Naples in late November and had beautiful, warm weather. I purposely book cruises during the late fall, winter, and early spring to avoid the crowds.

Our very first Med cruise we left Rome the day AFTER Thanksgiving. We ended in Barcelona on Dec 2nd. We also went to Naples and Florence as well as some other ports you will not be visiting…….

We had really nice weather. It was pretty cold at night in Rome pre cruise but the days were perfect for touring……cool but mostly clear and sunny. We did have some morning fog in Dubrovnik and while in Monte Carlo it was a bit windy and that made it feel even cooler………

We did find some things closed for the season but there were still many shops and restaurants still open to spend our money at ;)

The prices are fantastic this time of year……. and the lines and crowds are much smaller.

Weather is weather tho. Just go prepared with rain ponchos and travel umbrellas (from the $1 store) and plan to layer your clothing so if its warm you pull some off and if its chilly/cold you put some on…….. you will have a great time no matter !

We spent the month of January in Tuscany and Rome a few years ago. It was freezing! The high every day was under 40F. Not sure of the temp difference between December and January, but it was pretty miserable.

Otoh I have done multiple Med cruises in November and it has been lovely overall. All depends on the particular year.

We normally go to the Med the end of November/beginning of December. The weather has been different every year. We have had beautiful sunny weather and 24°C, but also a miserable rainy 2°C. Last year, we wanted a last-minute break on the Med in Mid-December, and found the temperature was 7-10°C, so we went to Egypt instead.

Generally, temperatures will be around 12-16°C and you will be wearing jeans/warmer pants and a shirt with long sleeves. Do not expect beach weather. A light rain coat and layers is the way to go.

You can check historical statistics on http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Thank you all, I really appreciate the advice.

We are experienced cruisers and we do like cooler temps. We are not beach people so we look for something other than the Caribbean. We like sightseeing and I love to take pixs, So the 'cooler' temps do not bother us one bit, as long as it really isn't around the freezing mark, where you can't enjoy yourselves walking around.

We did the Baltics in late August (I am a regular on the Baltics board if anyone needs any advice from that part of the world) and each day there, started with jacket until about mid day when it warmed up enough to take it off. We are jeans and light jacket type of people, so what you have told me, sounds like something we would be interested in. PLUS, not having the crowds around, that is the main thing.

Cheers

Len

Thank you all, I really appreciate the advice.

We are experienced cruisers and we do like cooler temps. We are not beach people so we look for something other than the Caribbean. We like sightseeing and I love to take pixs, So the 'cooler' temps do not bother us one bit, as long as it really isn't around the freezing mark, where you can't enjoy yourselves walking around.

We did the Baltics in late August (I am a regular on the Baltics board if anyone needs any advice from that part of the world) and each day there, started with jacket until about mid day when it warmed up enough to take it off. We are jeans and light jacket type of people, so what you have told me, sounds like something we would be interested in. PLUS, not having the crowds around, that is the main thing.

Cheers

Len

We are the same as you. Would rather be cooler and less crowds. We did a Med cruise in May a few years ago and the heat and crowds in Rome were awful.

Before we booked the Baltics, a few years ago, we were looking at the Med. My DW worked for the school system here in NY, and we were only able to cruise high season. We decided against the Med as it was too hot and opted for the cooler Baltics. She is retiring next summer so we can finally take advantage of some of these 'lower' priced cruises in the off season.

We are still searching though. I was also looking at an 11 day cruise at the end of February, I believe the same ship for about the same price. Would there be any difference in the weather, early December compared to late February/early March?

Cheers

Len

I would just add that we "love" anecdotal stories. They are totally worthless, but still interesting. We have taken 2 cruises between NYC and Bermuda and on one of them our ship (Meridian) ran smack into a hurricane with 40+ foot seas! So our experience is that if you cruise between NYC and Bermuda you have a 50-50 chance of hitting a hurricane! A few years ago we did a repo cruise in November from Barcelona to Miami. The weather (in Nov) in Barcelona was gorgeous and in the 70s, the crossing was entirely glassy seas and warm days. So based on that we would say that any November cruise from Europe to the USA will have perfect weather. (We have done more then 14 other crossings with all kinds of weather)

My point is that all of our anecdotal stuff on weather is really meaningless. Your best bet is to simply look on the internet for the weather averages and act accordingly. Of course averages are only that...and one can never accurately predict the weather more then a few days in advance. And the weather experts are often wrong even with a 3 day forecast.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Before we booked the Baltics, a few years ago, we were looking at the Med. My DW worked for the school system here in NY, and we were only able to cruise high season. We decided against the Med as it was too hot and opted for the cooler Baltics. She is retiring next summer so we can finally take advantage of some of these 'lower' priced cruises in the off season.

We are still searching though. I was also looking at an 11 day cruise at the end of February, I believe the same ship for about the same price. Would there be any difference in the weather, early December compared to late February/early March?

Cheers

Len

Check the averages. February is a month that we have been to Eurpoe many times (fondly remembering the crazy cheap $200 airfares from NWA back in the '90's). We were always surprised how warm it was...but we may have been lucky.

I would just add that we "love" anecdotal stories. They are totally worthless, but still interesting. We have taken 2 cruises between NYC and Bermuda and on one of them our ship (Meridian) ran smack into a hurricane with 40+ foot seas! So our experience is that if you cruise between NYC and Bermuda you have a 50-50 chance of hitting a hurricane! A few years ago we did a repo cruise in November from Barcelona to Miami. The weather (in Nov) in Barcelona was gorgeous and in the 70s, the crossing was entirely glassy seas and warm days. So based on that we would say that any November cruise from Europe to the USA will have perfect weather. (We have done more then 14 other crossings with all kinds of weather)

My point is that all of our anecdotal stuff on weather is really meaningless. Your best bet is to simply look on the internet for the weather averages and act accordingly. Of course averages are only that...and one can never accurately predict the weather more then a few days in advance. And the weather experts are often wrong even with a 3 day forecast.

Hank

Yes you have a point. But like I said, for more than 10 years, we always go to the Med exactly the same time of year, which happens to be exactly the time of year the OP want a general idea about weather. That does not make me an expert, but I have a rough idea what to expect. And I also said that it can be anything between 2°C and 24°C, and to check historical weather sites.

We were on a cruise with most of those same ports this year at the end of January. It wasn't miserable but we wore coats every day. The few days I wore a thin spring-like coat I was cold but when I wore my light-weight down coat I was fine. We didn't get too much rain which would have made it much more uncomfortable. But the lack of crowds was wonderful. At the end of the trip we went to the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel was so crowded that I can't imagine going there during the regular tourist season. When we go back (;)) we would prefer to go a month or two later but if the price was right we would definitely do this one again!