Zuiderdam review June 30 - July 11

aamechs2

Still onboard the Zuiderdam since 7 days, I can confirm all the bad experiences with the service, written in several CC-threads about the Zuiderdam. This is really the worst service I ever experienced on a cruiseship.

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that. Previously, the Zuiderdam had a very happy crew and excellent service. Perhaps a change in hotel director or something, that has trickled down to create an unhappy crew.

We weren't at all unhappy with the crew, the 1 time I was, at disembarkation, I think is the result of pressure on them to turn the ship. But the crew was wonderful, always smiling and helpful. Just the condition of the ship, the cut backs as far as quality of soda and juice, none of that stuff was indicative of a bad crew. Just a ship that needs a true drydock.

I was disappointed in the condition of the ship. Since it had been in drydock, I thought it would look refurbed but it didn't. The teak around the pools was faded, the paint was peeling in places, our room had numerous issues. Small issues but things that I thought they would've fixed in drydock. No smell thankfully.

Things I loved: waffles at breakfast with no wait and mixed berries! Quick omelet service, the shows were good to great, the glass elevators are awesome, loved having a bathtub, best lobster and cheesecake on a ship, loved the memory foam they put on my bed, wish all cruise ships did this. (With a hip replacement, hard beds kill me and I travel with a small piece) dinners were mostly good to great, ship flicks was cool, movie theatre was nice, pizza was always excellent, kids counselor did a good job, the couple of deck parties they had were fun, wish they had them with music, every night

Things I hated: no desk drawers this was aggravating everyday!, lack of light in cabin, even with a window it was too dark, using a flashlight to see in the first closet and safe was annoying, TV is tiny and the sound was bad, room not very cool, without my fan I would've been hot and so would hubby, the cords hanging from the TV, the outlet pulling out of the wall,, no lounge chairs ever available, actually hard to find them taking pictures anywhere, room steward invading my room at 6:30 the last day, hard to find anything to drink other than water or tea at the buffet and no choices in dining room, and the POG juice which I love, was so watery that I didn't drink it. (maybe a cost saving measure?) We bought soda cards but the soda's were so weak, even without adding ice which we tried that the kids only used 1/2 of it. I should've just bought 1. THe inability to put a limit on the kids card

One of the worst things, we did a Black and white photo shoot. Because we did this, I didn't worry about taking other pics but we didn't go look at them until 9:30 the last night. The pics were fabulous BUT they were $195!!!! PER PICTURE! (8 X 10) Really? Yes I expected they were maybe a little more, maybe $60 or so but $195? That's ridiculous. Yes they come on a metal backing or something but I still don't think they should charge that. Or let you know before you waste time taking them.

I would sail HAL again, but not that ship, well maybe if they had that itinerary. LOVED the ports except Olbia.

I can't believe that you are on the same ship that we were on in April/May - first cruise after dry dock. Maybe different people have different expectations.

I can't believe that you are on the same ship that we were on in April/May - first cruise after dry dock. Maybe different people have different expectations.

You're right. So if you like dinner with empty glasses and any refill takes half an hour, if you like sitting in the seaview bar and waiting half an hour to order. If you like lemonade always runned out annd empty coffeemachines all the time and if you like that you can't get water, icetea and lemonade in the Lido with all bars closed after 12 pm, so that you have to go to the Northern lights or the minibar in your cabin to get anything to drink, even when you are sitting with 12 people at the seaviewbar, then I can strongly recommend you the Zuiderdam.

I never cruised with Costa and MSC, but all the people onboard the Zuiderdam who did, talking about that they experienced a much better service on these lines than actually on the Zuiderdam. The real bad service ist the most popular theme onboard at the time. Only a very few crewmembers are doing a real good job, but specially these guys (and girls) were send across the whole ship, so that it is very rare to see them.a

Well, we too have been on the Zuiderdam since July 11. i met German Giant the first Sunday at the Crow's Nest Bar for a few minutes.

i have to say that there are a few things that do not impress me.

This is the first time that DH and I are seriously considering not giving an extra gratuity to our room stewards. We are in a Neptune Suite (SB) on Deck 6 mid ship. We have waited for evening service until 9:30 pm and only after calling the front desk and then they have to "verify".

Morning service has been slow and sometimes quite late as well.

Towels are not replaced, nor are glasses or dishes that are used unless we go chasing after the stewards. Ice buckets are not filled. I think you get the picture.

Last night there was a terrible odor coming out of the air vents in our room to the point that I was choking. A call to the front desk said they would send someone up to "verify". No one came. Later we received a call that it was on a number of decks and to open our verandah door if we had one.

The odor went away only to return in the middle of the night. I didn't call for fear they would send someone to "verify!"

We have fixed early seating. Our dining stewards are good and the food has been better on this ship than I have experienced on a HAL ship of late.

As for the ports, Captain Turner has made it a point to get to port early and has tried to let us stay late. If the itinerary says we leave a 5:00 pm, usually he will allow "all aboard" to be a 5:00pm with sail away shortly thereafter, giving us a bit longer in port. This very much appreciated.

The internet has been pretty good. I bought the unlimited package. However it is only good for the each part of the collectors cruise and quite expensive. $269. I don't think I will buy it for the second half.

The cabin furniture does not look new. It is still the same stuff and looks worn and tired.

Dining room chairs have been replaced but are too big and make the room look crowded. Hard to get to your table if you are in a corner.

I do not frequent the bars so I cannot speak to German Giant's complaints regarding service.

The weather has been extremely hot and I cannot for the life of me figure out why we decided to do this cruise in July instead of September.

Other from that we are having a good time and making the best of any service related issues.

Terri

Well, we too have been on the Zuiderdam since July 11. i met German Giant the first Sunday at the Crow's Nest Bar for a few minutes.

This is the first time that DH and I are seriously considering not giving an extra gratuity to our room stewards. We are in a Neptune Suite (SB) on Deck 6 mid ship. We have waited for evening service until 9:30 pm and only after calling the front desk and then they have to "verify".

Towels are not replaced, nor are glasses or dishes that are used unless we go chasing after the stewards. Ice buckets are not filled. I think you get the picture.

Last night there was a terrible odor coming out of the air vents in our room to the point that I was choking. A call to the front desk said they would send someone up to "verify". No one came. Later we received a call that it was on a number of decks and to open our verandah door if we had one.

The odor went away only to return in the middle of the night. I didn't call for fear they would send someone to "verify!"

We have fixed early seating. Our dining stewards are good and the food has been better on this ship than I have experienced on a HAL ship of late.

As for the ports, Captain Turner has made it a point to get to port early and has tried to let us stay late. If the itinerary says we leave a 5:00 pm, usually he will allow "all aboard" to be a 5:00pm with sail away shortly thereafter, giving us a bit longer in port. This very much appreciated.

The internet has been pretty good. I bought the unlimited package. However it is only good for the each part of the collectors cruise and quite expensive. $269. I don't think I will buy it for the second half.

The cabin furniture does not look new. It is still the same stuff and looks worn and tired.

Dining room chairs have been replaced but are too big and make the room look crowded. Hard to get to your table if you are in a corner.

I do not frequent the bars so I cannot speak to German Giant's complaints regarding service.

The weather has been extremely hot and I cannot for the life of me figure out why we decided to do this cruise in July instead of September.

Other from that we are having a good time and making the best of any service related issues.

Terri

Terri, the cabin service sounds abysmal. Under those circumstances I would not even be contemplating an additional cash tip.

So sorry to hear this has happened after your much long awaited "do over cruise". What a shame.

Terri, the cabin service sounds abysmal. Under those circumstances I would not even be contemplating an additional cash tip.

So sorry to hear this has happened after your much long awaited "do over cruise". What a shame.

Well, Jacqui, we make the best of it. We are still on a cruise and having a good time and glad to have our health. There are worse things in life as we all know. We are happy that we are here and enjoying our time together.

I will post a review as I can.

Terri

Well, Jacqui, we make the best of it. We are still on a cruise and having a good time and glad to have our health. There are worse things in life as we all know. We are happy that we are here and enjoying our time together.

I will post a review as I can.

Terri

so glad you are having a good time together. That is the main thing - enjoy :)

Terri

I am sorry that your cabin service is not so great. I was struck by your obvious annoyance at being told they will have to "verify" everything you say to the front desk. That is always one of my favourite words to hate while on a HAL ship. It's like saying you are not intelligent enough to know what you are seeing or experiencing. It is also a programmed robotic response as they all say the same thing. Very demeaning. My second most hated phrase is "technical difficulty".

I hope service picks up for you as the cruise continues.

Things must have really deteriorated since April. We were in an SS on Level 6 and our room stewards (Anton and Indra) were fantastic. They were working extremely long hours to do the number of cabins that they were assigned.

We only drank at the Ocean Bar or the Pinnacle Bar and we had no problems getting served at either.

We were never without a drink at dinner either. If our glasses were empty our Food Waiters would offer to get drinks for us or flag down the Beverage waiter.

Terri, I wouldn't cruise in the Med. in July either. :)

Things must have really deteriorated since April. We were in an SS on Level 6 and our room stewards (Anton and Indra) were fantastic. They were working extremely long hours to do the number of cabins that they were assigned.

We only drank at the Ocean Bar or the Pinnacle Bar and we had no problems getting served at either.

We were never without a drink at dinner either. If our glasses were empty our Food Waiters would offer to get drinks for us or flag down the Beverage waiter.

Terri, I wouldn't cruise in the Med. in July either. :)

We do not have the same room stewards. One just came on board. The other has been here for a while.

Today we are in Korcula. We have just finished breakfast. Left out the "Service Please" sign when we left. Came back to find it still on the door. It will be interesting to see what time the room is serviced today.

I have had no complaint with the dining room. The service and the food have been very good.

Terri

We do not have the same room stewards. One just came on board. The other has been here for a while.

Today we are in Korcula. We have just finished breakfast. Left out the "Service Please" sign when we left. Came back to find it still on the door. It will be interesting to see what time the room is serviced today.

I have had no complaint with the dining room. The service and the food have been very good.

Terri

Oh this is bringing back memories of our Zuiderdam cruise. Travelling with friends that we had invited back to our cabin for munchies for 3:00 pm and when we got to the room to prepare the stewards had still not come :eek: We were in the Penthouse (so our room was often where we all gathered) so at least we could shut the bedroom door.

The next day we had a nice chat with our stewards about our need to have our room service promptly and from there on in, it never happened again.

Sadly, you might need to do the same thing. Sorry to hear this.

We were on the Zuiderdam late april beginning of may. We did however notice the refurbishments done in drydock. New carpets, chairs etc. Fresh paint all around. Just some of davits of the lifeboats had some work left. We never had any issue with the deck chairs eventhough part of the upper deck was still closed due to renovations.

Water, ice tea, lemonade always available. My sodas were not watery.....maybe because I ordered a can ;-)

Sorry you were not completely happy onboard .

we make the best of it.

That's the right way. Meanwhile we have so much fun. At the aft-pool where all tables are mostly very sticky, because nobody of the passengers want's to wipe them, all are using "pleease stick down" or "can I stick on?" instead of "sit down" or "are this seats taken?".

"Is there no lemonade?" - "no, there is no icetea, no lemonade you'll find on the other side"

You know, there are worse things in life. We are having a great vacation. After what we went through last year in Rome, this is small potatoes, and I can put up with it. We look at it this way. DH is not in Gemelli Hospital like last year.

I am so happy to be on a ship and not having to think about cooking or taking care of someone right now that I really don't care if my cabin is made up or not. If the bed is messed up, I will get in it anyway.

We went to Le Cirque tonight. It was great. It was the first time we tried it and really enjoyed it. It really was too much food. I don't know if we would ever do it again, but it was fun for tonight.

The first half of the cruise is almost over. Tomorrow we are in Split, Croatia and then Venice. Then the Greek Isles. Then we have a week in Rome.

We just keep our fingers crossed that we both stay well and that all stays well at home so that we can enjoy every precious minute we have together. That is all that counts.

Terri

Now the Zuiderdam seems to become magic. The sticky tables since embarkation were now, after my post yesterday, frequently wiped. What I have to post to get refills and drinks with less than 30 minutes to wait, to get lemonade for more than 7 minutes a day, to find waiters for drinks and refills in the lido and in the theatre, working coffee-machines and at most, to get anything to drink after 12:00 pm? Any ideas?

Now the Zuiderdam seems to become magic. The sticky tables since embarkation were now, after my post yesterday, frequently wiped. What I have to post to get refills and drinks with less than 30 minutes to wait, to get lemonade for more than 7 minutes a day, to find waiters for drinks and refills in the lido and in the theatre, working coffee-machines and at most, to get anything to drink after 12:00 pm? Any ideas?

The on board staff frequently checks CC especially the "live from" threads.

I had a live from on Zuiderdam last year. Was talking to the Culinary Director by the Sea View Bar and the HD walked up. I introduced myself (my first name) and shook his hand. He said "I've been reading your CC posts- thank you for your kind words." We were under code red for many days and I had commented that the Captain and his staff needed to be commended on their hard work. He then smiled and reminded me "The Captain drives the ship". I posted a retraction to my previous post thanking the HD and his great staff for hard work and long hours.

they do pay attention to CC.

The on board staff frequently checks CC especially the "live from" threads.

I had a live from on Zuiderdam last year. Was talking to the Culinary Director by the Sea View Bar and the HD walked up. I introduced myself (my first name) and shook his hand. He said "I've been reading your CC posts- thank you for your kind words."

I would have been glad to talk with the hotel-manager about what is going on on his ship, because I'm a business-consultant and so I would have been able to explain him the crucial points at whitch it clamps from a professional to a professional, but I have seen him not one day all the 11 days on board, although I'm only in my cabin to sleep.

In fact, there are a few really fantastic crew-members, doing a really great job, even from my professional sight, but it seems that no one off the officers and supervisers cares about and so they are set to the wrong positions, while nothing works when they are not present.

We were on Zuiderdam for this cruise too. Our balcony cabin had major plumbing issues and we were moved to a wonderful Neptune Suite. We found the Guest Relations Manager Maia to be very professional, receptive to our complaints and able to problem solve to find a solution. She was also a very nice person. Bar staff like AJ in the Ocean Bar were great, very friendly and quick service. Pinnacle Grill service and staff were wonderful. The MDR waiting times for anytime dining and the MDR service were not great, but it didn't really greatly affect our cruise enjoyment....we coped!

Yes the ship decor is gaudy...Whatever is up with all those different carpets in one area? The area's that have been upgraded do make the older area's seem shabby and dated in comparison.

Despite that, we had a very enjoyable cruise on Zuiderdam and would not hesitate to book a HAL cruise again, but possibly on a newer ship this time. Compared to what we normally pay for Azamara cruises, this one was excellent value for money.

all I will say is.. we were on the Zuiderdam just after it first came out a number of years ago .. and again a few months ago in late January after getting off the Maasdam... bottomline.. it is a mess..and poorly run ..never again.. fini

all I will say is.. we were on the Zuiderdam just after it first came out a number of years ago .. and again a few months ago in late January after getting off the Maasdam... bottomline.. it is a mess..and poorly run ..never again.. fini

Oh no.... i booked a transatlantik, would you cancel ?

I have never been on a HAL ship, did Azamara, Celebrity, Crystal and Princess.

I dont like to go on a 17 night dissapointing cruise.